Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

BOS domestic to international connection question

BOS domestic to international connection question

Old Jan 8, 2016, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, BA
Originally Posted by Yahtzee
Yes, that's correct. I think it's too tight of a connection since LGA-BOS is not a model of on time arrival.
We are transiting from Terminal B (United) to Terminal E (Iceland Airlines), and then from E back to B from Iceland. We have more than two hours outbound, and 90 minutes on the return? Assuming Iceland is on time, with no checked bags and Global Entry, is 90 minutes enough to re-clear security at Terminal B and make the United segment?
Old Jan 8, 2016, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by stopdiabetes
We are transiting from Terminal B (United) to Terminal E (Iceland Airlines), and then from E back to B from Iceland. We have more than two hours outbound, and 90 minutes on the return? Assuming Iceland is on time, with no checked bags and Global Entry, is 90 minutes enough to re-clear security at Terminal B and make the United segment?
Do you get Pre-check with your GE? What time does the flight from Iceland land in BOS? And just in case, are the flights on the same ticket, or separate tickets?

I'd say generally that 90 minutes without checked bags, GE and precheck should be okay. Delays could ruin that, or long lines, but GE and precheck would mitigate that risk quite a bit.

On my recent return ZRH-BOS on Swiss, around 8pm I think, there was minimal wait for customs and nobody at GE. Given the very short distances from the E gate to customs to the curb, we set a new personal record, 20ish minutes to the curb. From an international flight, no less. And we had checked luggage.

Assuming you can get through in 30 minutes, figure 10 minutes to walk landside C to E, another 5-10 to go through precheck, and you're through with time to spare before boarding if nothing goes wrong. I like 2 hours I-D at BOS, but 90 minutes can work.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 2:49 pm

I'd be very cautious about this on separate tickets.

First off, Icelandic is not exactly thye most dependable airline for on-time performance; EF says that the BOS flight is on-time only 34% of the time (!). Second, especially if you're traveling in high season (May-Sep), BOS is known to have some notoriously long delays at immigration in the late afternoon when many of the flights come in from Europe. I've been on flights where we weren't allowed off the plane for a full 40 minutes after having reached the gate -- all because the immigration hall was packed. GE doesn't help when you can't get to a kiosk.

Now all that sounds fearmongering-ish, and I suppose it is. You'll probably make the 90-minute connection 75-80% of the time, maybe more. And if it's all on the same ticket, you're protected. But separate tickets would be a risk.
Old May 14, 2016, 11:36 am

Are any of the terminals at Logan connected post security? I'm considering an AA flight into terminal B, then departing on EI in terminal C. EI has moved to C. With the current TSA mess, I'm reluctant to transfer at an airport that requires reclearing security.
Old May 14, 2016, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by headinclouds
Are any of the terminals at Logan connected post security? I'm considering an AA flight into terminal B, then departing on EI in terminal C. EI has moved to C. With the current TSA mess, I'm reluctant to transfer at an airport that requires reclearing security.
No, none of them are as far as I know. You will have to reclear security.
Old May 14, 2016, 3:03 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Sorry to relate that PWMTrav can delete the "as far as I know"
part. Remember that Terminals B and C still to this day have
gates inaccessible from each other inside security, even after
the terminals' remodeling. A shame, because the C areas are
connected airside, but the passage is not open to the public.
It would be hard to connect the B areas inside security, though.

At various points there were airside buses between some of
the terminals, but they are currently gone, have been for years.
Old May 16, 2016, 9:07 am

Here's the current state of affairs:

Terminal A: All 'A' gates are connected to each other, but there is no post-security transfer to other terminals.

Terminal B: With the completion of the United concourse, gates B4 to B36 (American, United, Spirit, Pen Air) are now all connected post-security. Gates B1 to B3 (Air Canada) are not connected post-security to the other 'B' gates. Same goes for gates B37 and B38 (Virgin America). There is no post-security transfer to other terminals.

Terminal C: Gates C8 to C36 (JetBlue, Aer Lingus, Emirates, Cape Air) are all connected post-security. Gates C40 to C42 (Alaska and Sun Country) are not connected post-security to the other 'C gates. There is no post-security transfer to other terminals.

Terminal E: The E1 gates are closed for renovations. Gates E2 to E8 are all connected post-security. There is no post-security transfer to other terminals.

Last edited by flyallegheny; May 16, 2016 at 11:32 am Reason: Updated per user feedback
Old May 16, 2016, 10:28 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by flyallegheny
Terminal B: With the completion of the United concourse, gates B4 to B38 (American, United, Virgin America, Spirit, Pen Air) are now all connected post-security. Gates B1 to B3 (Air Canada) are not connected post-security to the other 'B' gates. There is no post-security transfer to other terminals.
On Massport's map on their website, it appears B37 and B38 are not connected to any of the others, having their own security area. Has that changed now? It wouldn't surprise me if the map was outdated, just wanted to clarify.
Old May 16, 2016, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by lo2e
On Massport's map on their website, it appears B37 and B38 are not connected to any of the others, having their own security area. Has that changed now? It wouldn't surprise me if the map was outdated, just wanted to clarify.
Aha! I assume Massport's map/website are correct...I have no better information than that. I updated my post.
Old May 16, 2016, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by lo2e
Correct. flyallegheny's post is now correct.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 10:34 am

Questions about upcoming trip

Wife and I are taking Icelandair from Orlando to Munich. Its all one ticket purchased on expedia. MCO to BOS is Icelandair operated by JetBlue, arrives at Terminal C at 7:56 pm, then we depart from Terminal E at 9:30 pm. That gives us 1 hour and 34 minutes.

My questions are:
1 if we check bags on the JetBlue flight from Orlando to Boston, will they be transferred over to the departing international flight, or will we have to go to baggage claim collect them, and then go through security again and recheck them?

2 is 1 h 34 m enough time? I know the answer to question 1 impacts that, but either way I assume we have to go through security again in Boston to get into the international terminal?

3 do we need to get to MCO early like we would for an international flight or is it treated just like a domestic flight?

Thanks in advance. Also, if you have any general info you want to throw out there please
Old Jun 8, 2016, 11:55 am

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by Robertocross1987
Wife and I are taking Icelandair from Orlando to Munich. Its all one ticket purchased on expedia. MCO to BOS is Icelandair operated by JetBlue, arrives at Terminal C at 7:56 pm, then we depart from Terminal E at 9:30 pm. That gives us 1 hour and 34 minutes.

My questions are:
1 if we check bags on the JetBlue flight from Orlando to Boston, will they be transferred over to the departing international flight, or will we have to go to baggage claim collect them, and then go through security again and recheck them?

2 is 1 h 34 m enough time? I know the answer to question 1 impacts that, but either way I assume we have to go through security again in Boston to get into the international terminal?

3 do we need to get to MCO early like we would for an international flight or is it treated just like a domestic flight?

Thanks in advance. Also, if you have any general info you want to throw out there please
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Since JetBlue and Icelandair are codeshare partners, they should be able to check your bags all the way through without your having to pick them up in Boston. If that's the case, I think 90 minutes should be fine (even though you need to re-clear security) but there's not a ton of wiggle room and no back up if you miss the flight since I think there's only one a day. In other words, 94 minutes is about the minimum I'd do so you should plan to be as efficient as possible deplaning and walking (probably fastest via C8-C10 gates) to Terminal E.

You do not need to get to MCO super early.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 2:13 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
There are 3 daily BOS-KEF flights (which is why Iceland is so crowded!) but OP is on the latest one.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 10:50 am

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
There are 3 daily BOS-KEF flights (which is why Iceland is so crowded!) but OP is on the latest one.
Wow - I had no idea.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 2:17 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Your luggage is more likely to make it on the plane than you are.
I'd bet in your favor as well, though, under normal conditions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.