Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

Headed to Boston for an Obstacle Course Race

Old Mar 22, 15, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, you read the subject correctly. Wife and I are insane and as such we'll be flying from TPA to BOS in mid-June. Never been to Boston so I had some questions for folks that are a bit more privy to the area.

Should be arriving on a Wednesday afternoon and leaving on the first flight out on a Sunday.

Hotel options? Figured we'll end up doing some of the historical sites, a bit of shopping, and just general exploring. Saw the W Boston seemed to be kind of neat but we figure anything close to a subway terminal would be ideal. Copley, Back Bay, or Financial seem to be the best locations for hotels so I'm curious what folks recommend.

HERE'S THE KICKER (yes, this is all in caps)

Our race is outside of Boston at the Carter and Stevens Farm just outside Barre. Our race is Saturday morning. We fly out first thing Sunday morning. What do we do regarding hotel and transportation Friday-Sunday? My gut tells me just to stay within Boston and make the 90 minute travel to and from (unless we end up in the hospital at some point). The biggest question is how to get to the race location. Looks like there's a commuter line that runs out to Worcester but I'd still need to get us to Barre. I've heard renting a car in Boston amounts to highway robbery in both parking and tolls. Any thoughts on how best to optimize travel time out there?

Thanks all!
Old Mar 23, 15, 4:58 am

Definitely rent a car for the time outside Boston, IMO, maybe on Friday to use for some sightseeing outside the city (Lexington/Concord?), and find some nice little B&B closer to the race for Friday and maybe Saturday night. (I'd bet that a taxi back and forth from the commuter rail in Worcester or Fitchburg would be a lot more than both day's car rental, and a lot less convenient. Commuter rail is really set up for people coming into the city to work.) This B&B is nearby: http://www.winterwoodinn.net and http://www.winterwoodinn.net/rooms.htm
Old Mar 23, 15, 6:48 am

Programs: AA Plat, Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
I would not rely on the commuter rail. It is not a very reliable means of transportation and it has a very limited weekend schedule. Definitely rent a car.

Have you bought your plane tickets yet? You could also fly in to Hartford (BDL), stay outside of Boston closer to your race and drive to the commuter rail / T for the days you want to explore the city.

Everything here is "highway robbery"
Old Mar 24, 15, 6:51 am
Original Poster

We have our tickets through Southwest but are refundable (woo Rapid Rewards!). The thought of flying into Hartford is interesting but I'm not sure I'd want to make such a long trek into Boston with an Amtrak connection in New Haven. I'm thinking perhaps staying at the W downtown then renting a car from the Hertz nearby Friday night. Pick that up Friday night, drive out of town Saturday, then drop it off at the airport first thing Sunday morning.

I'm from Miami, btw. We invented highway robbery. Literally.
Old Mar 24, 15, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by nuclfusion View Post
We have our tickets through Southwest but are refundable (woo Rapid Rewards!). The thought of flying into Hartford is interesting but I'm not sure I'd want to make such a long trek into Boston with an Amtrak connection in New Haven. I'm thinking perhaps staying at the W downtown then renting a car from the Hertz nearby Friday night. Pick that up Friday night, drive out of town Saturday, then drop it off at the airport first thing Sunday morning.

I'm from Miami, btw. We invented highway robbery. Literally.
No, drive to Barre from Bradley (Hartford-Springfield airport) and avoid Boston completely. Barre is actually closer to Bradley (80 minutes' drive) than it is to Logan (90 minutes).
Old Mar 25, 15, 4:23 am

Programs: DL PM/1 MM, Bonvoy LTT
I would agree with those who recommended avoiding the commuter rail. As others have said, it is unreliable and the schedule on the weekend is less than ideal. I am assuming that after an obstacle course race, the last thing you are going to want is a muddy wait to get to your hotel.

Since it sounds like you want to do some exploring in the city, a hotel in the city would be a great base for Wednesday through Friday. Boston is a very walkable city and given you have signed up for an obstacle course race, I would assume you are fit enough to have no problem covering a lot of ground on foot. If you stayed in the city, you wouldn't need a car and would just be paying a lot of money to rent and park a car. You actually wouldn't even need to take a cab from the airport, as I personally find it relatively easy to get to/from the airport using public transportation. Others may not want to deal with the hassle though and would recommend just taking a cab.

I do think renting a car to get to/from your race is your best option. I like one poster's idea of staying in a B&B closer to the race. You may even be able to find one that has some unique New England charm, making it a highlight of your trip. Combining ideas of others, rent the car Friday night, drive out west, and then return the car Sunday morning. If your flight is first thing in the morning, the subway may not even be running (Boston's subway is not 24 hours like some other major cities), so you would be paying for a cab to get to the Airport anyway. As another poster said, there are some sights outside the city that may be of interest to you and a rental car would give you the freedom to explore some of them.

Another option could be to return the car Saturday and either stay at an airport hotel or return downtown for more exploring. If you time your rental car pick-up/drop-off right, you may even save on a full day of rental costs. There is a hotel right at the airport (the Hyatt, I believe), which would make an early departure a snap. I am sure there are other nearby airport hotel options, but I am not too familiar with them or how convenient/inconvenient those shuttles are from them. if you drove from out west Sunday morning to the airport, there may be some guesswork on how long the drive would take.

Have fun exploring the city and good luck with your race!
Old Mar 25, 15, 9:02 am

You might find it convenient to stay just outside of Boston. The Newton Marriott, for example, is just off the Mass Pike (I-90), making it easy to get both to Barre and to Boston.
Old Mar 25, 15, 1:16 pm

I always went car-free in Boston after my office moved into the city. Always had a rental when we were in Waltham and Marlborough. That said, I would grab a Zipcar for any quick trips out of the city. If I just needed a car for 2-5 hours, it was so much easier and not terribly expensive. Staying downtown is lovely and there is so much to see and do.

Search this Thread