FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   New England (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-england-452/)
-   -   Logan: Alaska and Sun Country move to terminal C (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-england/1660095-logan-alaska-sun-country-move-terminal-c.html)

will2288 Mar 3, 2015 1:21 pm

Logan: Alaska and Sun Country move to terminal C

Alaska Airlines and Sun Country Airlines will be moving from terminal A to terminal C at Logan Airport. This is effective March 4th, 2015.

Terminal A will now have only Delta. Terminal C will have JetBlue, CapeAir, Emirates departures, Alaska and Sun Country.

tkey75 Mar 4, 2015 10:42 am

Does that make AS loungeless?

lhl12 Mar 7, 2015 6:51 am

Why would Massport and the airlines have made this move? I would have thought that Terminal A was a superior alternative for them -- newer, less congestion, etc.

Also, I thought that JetBlue wanted all the capacity it could get at Terminal C.

Maybe Terminal A charges a higher rate because it is new? Or Delta is preparing for an expansion?

LoganFlyer Mar 7, 2015 4:46 pm

The move is because they're renovating part of E. So Massport is moving WN to Terminal A (gates A18-22 from what I've heard) and moving AS & SY to C to make room for WN. Unfortunately, this is a major downgrade for both AS & SY as they're using C40-42, which is a separate area with hardly any amenities at all and certainly no lounge.

lhl12 Mar 7, 2015 8:03 pm

What will the renovation of E accomplish?

Yahtzee Mar 7, 2015 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer (Post 24471657)
The move is because they're renovating part of E. So Massport is moving WN to Terminal A (gates A18-22 from what I've heard) and moving AS & SY to C to make room for WN. Unfortunately, this is a major downgrade for both AS & SY as they're using C40-42, which is a separate area with hardly any amenities at all and certainly no lounge.

Yuck

Out of my Element Mar 8, 2015 8:18 am

Originally Posted by lhl12 (Post 24472268)

Hopefully make it easier to get to those gates the Southwest and Porter use (aka "Terminal D")!

LoganFlyer Mar 9, 2015 8:16 am

Originally Posted by lhl12 (Post 24472268)

http://www.massport.com/news-room/ne...-improvements/

lhl12 Mar 9, 2015 1:18 pm

This quote from the release caught my eye:

"... and add a third level for new airline clubs."

That's great news! The existing clubs at Terminal E are awful. This improvement will be long overdue.

Blumie Mar 9, 2015 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by lhl12 (Post 24480019)
This quote from the release caught my eye:

"... and add a third level for new airline clubs."

That's great news! The existing clubs at Terminal E are awful. This improvement will be long overdue.

Now that is big news. As most know, MassPort has been working hard, with some success, to attract new international carriers to BOS. The ability to have decent lounge space, rather than the existing basement lounges, certainly should help in that effort. After all, it's the ability of these airlines to attract premium customers that really draws their attention.

wideman Mar 10, 2015 11:55 am

Just to clarify, there are already 3 floors in Term E, and the existing lounges are on the 2nd level.

A few years ago, they redid E. Until then, the only entrance was the ground floor, which was (and still is) used for arrivals, including customs. To get to the 3rd-floor departure level, you took one escalator to the second level, then a second, adjacent escalator to the departures. To get to the lounges, you'd take the first elevator to Level 2. There was also a balcony on that 2nd level, from which you could look down to the check-in areas.

When they refurbed E, they added roadway access to the 3rd/departure level, and they removed the sets of escalators that stopped at the 2nd floor. They also completely enclosed the 2nd floor area. The only way for the public to get to the 2nd level for lounges is to take the elevator or stairs down from level 3 to level 2. None of the lounges have windows AFAIK, so it does indeed give the feeling of being in a basement -- but you're really just in a limbo area between arrivals and departures.

All that said, hurray for adding lounge space. I think I've been in every one of the BOS lounges except the Virgin Clubhouse, and there's not 1 that gets a better grade than C-.

Yahtzee Mar 11, 2015 9:43 am

Hard product-wise, Virgin lounge is a C-.

Blumie Mar 11, 2015 10:00 am

Originally Posted by wideman (Post 24485475)
Just to clarify, there are already 3 floors in Term E, and the existing lounges are on the 2nd level.

A few years ago, they redid E. Until then, the only entrance was the ground floor, which was (and still is) used for arrivals, including customs. To get to the 3rd-floor departure level, you took one escalator to the second level, then a second, adjacent escalator to the departures. To get to the lounges, you'd take the first elevator to Level 2. There was also a balcony on that 2nd level, from which you could look down to the check-in areas.

When they refurbed E, they added roadway access to the 3rd/departure level, and they removed the sets of escalators that stopped at the 2nd floor. They also completely enclosed the 2nd floor area. The only way for the public to get to the 2nd level for lounges is to take the elevator or stairs down from level 3 to level 2. None of the lounges have windows AFAIK, so it does indeed give the feeling of being in a basement -- but you're really just in a limbo area between arrivals and departures.

All that said, hurray for adding lounge space. I think I've been in every one of the BOS lounges except the Virgin Clubhouse, and there's not 1 that gets a better grade than C-.

Thanks for the clarification. I knew that you weren't literally in the basement when in the Terminal E lounges, but it certainly fees like you are.

clanum Apr 5, 2015 5:53 am

At least the massport team got the signage updated, but the shuttle driver still dropped me at A for my AS flight. It's definitely a downgrade for AS because in addition to being at C41-42 where there are no amenities, there's also no PreCheck in that lane.