Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

Boston Marathon weekend: Boston or Martha's Vineyard?

Old Dec 20, 14, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *S (TK), Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold

I am attending a conference Apr 21-23, right after the marathon. I will have both the weekend before and after to explore. My mom will join me one of those weekends for a trip to MV, and I will have the other to myself to explore either Boston or Salem.

Which weekend my mom comes up depends on the airfare, but putting that aside, which weekend would be better for Boston vs MV with regard to the marathon? Is it a lot more crowded than usual during that time?

For example, if we went to MV on marathon weekend, her flight back would be on marathon day, the 20th. We would need to take the bus back from Woods Hole to South Station, then get a ride to the airport. Would street closing be a problem?
Old Dec 20, 14, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, SPG, WoH
Originally Posted by italdesign View Post
For example, if we went to MV on marathon weekend, her flight back would be on marathon day, the 20th. We would need to take the bus back from Woods Hole to South Station, then get a ride to the airport. Would street closing be a problem?
Boston is crazy and SRO on Marathon Monday. A great place to be if you want to experience the events. A place to avoid if you are just "traveling through".
Old Dec 20, 14, 4:07 pm

Programs: American Airlines, Continental, United, Southwest, BA, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors, Hyatt
They won't close any roads from Woods Hole to South Station since it is across the city from where the marathon takes place. It is easy from South Station to take the Silver Line to the airport or it is a short cab ride.

The Marathon takes place on Patriot's Day which is also the start of April school vacation in Massachusetts, so it can be pretty crowded and the hotels are sold out early and the prices are expensive. You should see if you conference hotel will allow you to extend your dates pre and post if you decide to stay in Boston.

Weather in April can run the gamut from sunny and in the 60's or 70's or it can be cold with rain and snow showers. Martha's Vineyard will be quiet since it is more of the off season, but you will be limited in getting around if you don't have a car. I would stay in Boston if I had the choice because there is just so much to do and see .

Regardless of what you decide, have fun!

Search this Thread