FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   New England (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-england-452/)
-   -   Day trips from Portland, ME in the winter? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-england/1623960-day-trips-portland-me-winter.html)

Kate031 Oct 27, 2014 5:16 pm

Day trips from Portland, ME in the winter?

Hi guys! I just booked a Fri-Mon trip to Portland in December to top off my UA miles for the year, and also to enjoy some cold weather (something we don't get much of in San Diego). Any fun wintertime activities or places outside of town I should checkout while I'm there? I'm in my early 30's and traveling with a friend, so we're pretty much up for anything (including the foodie scene! Can't wait!). Thanks!! :)

Analise Oct 27, 2014 5:30 pm

Here are some daytrip ideas:

1. Sunday River if you ski. It's only about 1:40 from Portland. http://www.sundayriver.com/

2. LL Bean Outdoor Discovery School in Freeport which is ~20 minutes from Portland. Go cross-country skiing, snow shoeing. Equipment is provided and it's such a great deal.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/ods/33?pag...covery-schools

Kate031 Oct 27, 2014 6:44 pm

Thanks!! Any place to rent snowmobiles? Stupid question, but is it a safe assumption that there will be snow?

Analise Oct 28, 2014 7:49 am

That I don't know. I would think you could easily rent snow mobiles in Bethel where Sunday River is located.

There is a link to all kinds of snow activities including snowmobiling on Sunday River's website: http://www.sundayriver.com/events-an...activity-guide

PWMTrav Oct 28, 2014 9:19 am

There isn't always snow here in December. At least not if you define "here" as Portland. It'll probably be cold enough for it to be snowing a bit in northern/western Maine, but if the last few winters tell me anything it's that we don't really start to get the steady snow until later in Dec or in January.

For you, that's a good thing - you can explore Portland potentially without the snow, but drive 15 to 90 minutes to do the outdoor stuff. Outside of Portland, for outdoor activity, the suggestions for Sunday River and the LL Bean Discovery School are very good.

Depending on what you like to eat, I can definitely suggest restaurants. Portland has great food, on both the high and low end, as well as beer. If you're coming all the way from San Diego, IMHO it's really worth making a reservation at Hugo's if you're slightly adventurous or into more modern cooking. I'd reserve no matter what, but if you call ahead and want to do it, I think they can pull a chef's menu together for you. Drinks next door at Eventide, or even a more casual meal there, are never a bad idea. If you want something a little more straight forward The Front Room is one of my favorites. One thing to note is that outside of Fore Street, just about every restaurant in town is casual - meaning (as a guy) I've gone to Hugo's in jeans and been totally ok.

It's funny, we plan trips to San Diego in the Dec-Feb timeframe, and you're doing the reverse :D

Kate031 Nov 2, 2014 9:57 am

Awesome recommendations, thank you! Just made my reservation at Hugo's. :)

BOSOGG Nov 2, 2014 10:25 am

To enjoy some "cold weather" activity, consider the Casco Bay Ferry. Departs from Old Port. Have lunch on Peak's Island.
http://www.pressherald.com/2013/11/2...ure_offshore_/

SanDiego1K Nov 2, 2014 10:37 am

Drive north towards Brunswick and then down towards Harpswell, Orr Island and Bailey Island (connected by bridge so no ferry needed). It is a very scenic drive. Cook’s Lobster House, Baileys Island, www.cookslobster.com, has both good lobster, and a spectacular view.

I was going to suggest Longfellow House and the last remaining Shaker Community but see both are closed in the winter.

Oyster Bar – 5 Portland Pier, Maine, jsoyster.com – lobster, oysters, clams, oyster stew is wonderful – tiny, only about 4 tables inside; Anthony Bourdain filmed here

Standard Baking Co., 75 Commercial St, Portland, 207-773-2112, immediately adjacent to Hilton Garden Inn. Great cookies, gingerbread.

PWMTrav Nov 2, 2014 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K (Post 23779133)
Drive north towards Brunswick and then down towards Harpswell, Orr Island and Bailey Island (connected by bridge so no ferry needed). It is a very scenic drive. Cook’s Lobster House, Baileys Island, www.cookslobster.com, has both good lobster, and a spectacular view.

I was going to suggest Longfellow House and the last remaining Shaker Community but see both are closed in the winter.

Oyster Bar – 5 Portland Pier, Maine, jsoyster.com – lobster, oysters, clams, oyster stew is wonderful – tiny, only about 4 tables inside; Anthony Bourdain filmed here

Standard Baking Co., 75 Commercial St, Portland, 207-773-2112, immediately adjacent to Hilton Garden Inn. Great cookies, gingerbread.

J's Oyster is fun for beers and some oysters, but if you want IMHO the best oyster bar in the country right now, Eventide - next door to Hugo's - is a must do. Same owners. Better food and one of the better bars in town too. These guys are seriously killing it next door. If I had to pick one, I'd go to Eventide, even though J's is an institution.

Definitely Standard Baking. But also Two Fat Cats, the cross streets are India and Middle (might be 1 block up from Middle, I forget). I'm not a huge fan of whoopie pies, but the experts (my wife) tell me they're the best.

asarma Nov 17, 2014 9:40 am

If you’re interested in food you can’t go wrong by checking out the food carts in Portland. You’ll find everything from Vietnamese to burgers and sandwiches, and then there is also the Portland Farmers Market. Jake's Famous Crawfish is well worth a visit, and Departure Restaurant and Lounge has amazing views. If you're coming at the beginning of December, by the way, you can check out the Holiday Ale festival which is a premier beer-tasting event - held between Dec 3 and Dec 7 in 2014.

PWMTrav Nov 17, 2014 10:04 am

Originally Posted by asarma (Post 23854654)
If you’re interested in food you can’t go wrong by checking out the food carts in Portland. You’ll find everything from Vietnamese to burgers and sandwiches, and then there is also the Portland Farmers Market. Jake's Famous Crawfish is well worth a visit, and Departure Restaurant and Lounge has amazing views. If you're coming at the beginning of December, by the way, you can check out the Holiday Ale festival which is a premier beer-tasting event - held between Dec 3 and Dec 7 in 2014.

Wrong Portland :D This thread is about Portland, Maine.

Efrem Nov 20, 2014 8:20 am

Originally Posted by asarma (Post 23854654)
If you’re interested in food you can’t go wrong by checking out the food carts in Portland. ...

This is in the New England forum.

lo2e Nov 20, 2014 10:31 am

Haha, too many Portlands I guess. :p

Efrem Nov 22, 2014 11:38 am

Originally Posted by lo2e (Post 23871711)
Haha, too many Portlands I guess. :p

The two founders of Portland, Oregon, Francis Pettygrove and Asa Lovejoy, both wanted to name it after their home towns. Pettygrove was from Portland, Maine. Lovejoy was from Boston. They flipped a coin. Pettygrove won.

Had the coin landed the other way this thread would be simpler, but a few others might be more confused.

dtp1987 Dec 20, 2014 6:26 pm

Normally I would say Bar Harbor, but probably not this time of year. I definitely would agree with Freeport. The shops are fun, and some really good restaurants!