Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Green Line to Lechmere on weekends

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Our visit was last weekend and it all worked out perfectly. We stayed at the Boston Seaport Hotel so we enjoyed the convenience of the Silver Line from BOS and later walking to South Station to get on the T. We used the green line a couple of times and never had a long wait. Mostly, we walked. It's such a great walking town. Didn't realize our visit would coincide with the Harvard/Yale game (long wait at Zoe's) and the lighting of the Christmas tree at Faneuil Hall. Surprised the lighting occurred before Thanksgiving and that the tree is only lit after dark.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 5:56 am

Programs: B6, Amtrak, DL, AA, Marriott, Hilton
Last weekend was a zoo in town, pretty much everywhere.

The Faneuil Hall tree isn't the "real" city Christmas tree. The "official" one (gifted from Nova Scotia*) is on the Common, and there's another one in Copley Sq.

Glad you had a great trip. As you found out, walking is so easy within the city. Many of our city blocks are more like 1/3 scale models when compared to NYC, DC, or Chicago!

*Why Nova Scotia? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston%...Tree_tradition
Old Dec 1, 2014, 10:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by octr202
The Faneuil Hall tree isn't the "real" city Christmas tree. The "official" one (gifted from Nova Scotia*) is on the Common, and there's another one in Copley Sq.
The city has an official tree meaning they pay for it? The mayor seemed to treat the Faneuil Hall one as "official" since there seemed to have been a big deal of his reading "The Night Before Christmas" aloud from a podium there (I think it was that poem; I could be mistaken) and having a TV special lasting an hour before the tree was lit. Does the one at Copley stay lit during the day?

Glad you had a great trip. As you found out, walking is so easy within the city. Many of our city blocks are more like 1/3 scale models when compared to NYC, DC, or Chicago!
We did, thanks. We love coming to Boston because we can walk around and enjoy the neighborhoods and parks.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 11:14 am

Programs: B6, Amtrak, DL, AA, Marriott, Hilton
I'm getting dangerously into spouting off without full knowledge, but I've always known the one on the Common to be the primary one. There's a lot of others around (I'm guessing some of which are actually put up by private entities).

The Common tree is the one that Boston gets as a gift from Nova Scotia each year, so at least the tree is free. ;-)
Old Dec 1, 2014, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
The Boston Common tree is the "official" one, but can anyone tell me why that matters? Will you enjoy the others less once you learn they are "unofficial"?
Old Dec 2, 2014, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Analise
The city has an official tree meaning they pay for it? ...
No, they do not pay for it. One doesn't have to pay for something for it to be official.

The official Boston Christmas tree, the one on Boston Common, has been donated every year since 1971 by the people of Nova Scotia in gratitude for Boston's assistance after a large explosion in Halifax harbor. It's considered quite an honor to have one's tree chosen to be sent to Boston. People propose their trees, which must meet specific criteria, and the Nova Scotia Department of Natural Resources picks one. It's cut in a public ceremony and trucked southwest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.