FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   New England (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-england-452/)
-   -   Getting from Providence Amtrak Station to PVD TF Green Airport? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-england/1618430-getting-providence-amtrak-station-pvd-tf-green-airport.html)

bhatnasx Oct 6, 2014 1:11 pm

Getting from Providence Amtrak Station to PVD TF Green Airport?

Hi all,

I'm traveling to Newport, RI, via train from NYC. I'm planning on taking the train from NYC to the Providence (PVD) train station. From there, I'm planning on getting to TF Green (PVD) airport to pick up a rental car ($16/day from Hertz).

I will be picking up the car on a Friday, getting to PVD train station round 4pm and need to get to the airport. I will return the car at PVD airport on Sunday around noon-ish for a 2pm train back to NYC.

What is the best way to get to/from the PVD Amtrak station to the PVD airport and vice-versa?

http://www.pvdairport.com/get-here/trains has very basic information - so any local insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

fastflyer Oct 6, 2014 1:28 pm

Why do you need a rental car in Newport? Most of the activities are in a central zone within easy walkable distance. Unless you are headed to the NY Yacht Club or some of the distant cottages on Bellevue, you can walk everywhere. Even if you do need a car, you can Uber from the West Kingston Amtrak station into Newport and pick up a local rental car in Newport.

Kingston is much closer to Newport than Providence.

Efrem Oct 6, 2014 1:54 pm

If you decide you want to do this, there are trains (an extension of Boston commuter rail service to Providence) at 5:23 and 6:10 that go from exactly where you'll be to exactly where you want to be in about fifteen minutes. That said, I agree with fastflyer about perhaps rethinking your overall strategy.

bhatnasx Oct 7, 2014 8:03 am

I'm actually staying in Middletown, but attending a wedding in Newport (the rates for Newport over this weekend are pretty crazy high & I was able to get a good rate in Middletown, so a car is necessary).

I'll look into the Kingston option. I already bought my train tickets (at $49 each way "Saver") and travel is for this coming Friday to Sunday, so switching may actually be more expensive at this point.

That said, I do own a car in NYC & one of my colleagues is strongly suggesting that I scrap the train & rental car thing altogether & just drive the 3 & 1/2 hrs from Brooklyn as she thinks it's a bit insane to to have to deal with all the transportation & when driving would just be easier.

Still debating that point mentally :)

Thanks for the advice!

will2288 Oct 8, 2014 6:52 am

I would just drive the whole way, especially because you have a car.

Dealing with getting to NYP, being in NYP, a train, taxi, airport car rental facility twice is far more of a hassle and expensive than just driving yourself.

Efrem Oct 8, 2014 7:26 am

Originally Posted by bhatnasx (Post 23638901)
...That said, I do own a car in NYC & one of my colleagues is strongly suggesting that I scrap the train & rental car thing altogether & just drive the 3 & 1/2 hrs from Brooklyn ...

I agree. Once you get out of Brooklyn, seeing that you won't be driving during either rush hour in either direction, it's an easy drive. (You didn't give the dates, though. If this will be Thanksgiving weekend, all bets are off for driving back on Sunday afternoon - but you'd have to leave Middletown around 11 to drop your car off and arrive back in Brooklyn around 6 (if you were planning to take the 1:44 Acela) or 7 (for the 2:19 regular train). No way will driving take longer than that.

bhatnasx Oct 8, 2014 8:51 am

Thanks for the suggestions & thoughts - I scrapped the train & the rental car & am driving. Dates are this coming weekend - Columbus Day weekend - hopefully traffic won't be too bad, but will do the drive. Part of the reason I was planning on the train is because I was planning on working on Friday for a 1/2 day, taking the train up & using the train time to do more work & therefore not really use a vacation day. I'll just work from home til about 2pm & leave from there & make up the difference next week.