Wiki Posts
Search

Parking at Logan price increase?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2014, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
Parking at Logan price increase?

When did the price of parking at Logan hit $29 a day? My last few flights I was able to get a ride - the price of parking is getting ridiculous! And with Framingham Logan Express being relocated, it means I have to add even more time on getting to the airport to use it.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Use Pre-Flight Parking in Chelsea. If you reserve and pay in advance you get a rate of $15 or so per day, every seventh day free. You just have to reserve and prepay one day to get that rate for a stay of any length - so if you run into really bad traffic and have to park in the airport to make your flight, you're not out a lot of money. They also have a frequent parker program that gives you a free day for, more or less, every paid week.

(I have no economic or other interest in PFP. I'm just a happy customer.)
Old Sep 18, 2014, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

That's the problem with all the parking for Logan. It is well beyond the airport and I am driving too far as is. I wish they would open a lot somewhere in the seaport area. Better yet, wish they built a train line right to Logan and let you park at Riverside and ride the train straight in.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 7:57 pm

I agree with the praise for PreFlight. Good service, picks up right at your car, and very frequent shuttle. MUCH better, and cheaper, than Logan's economy lot.

I think it has been a few months since the price increase. While I have not used it, Logan Express doesn't seem like a great value. Rather expensive parking and bus rates, especially if a family is going. Not a bad option if you are looking to save money, and can be easily dropped off at the bus stop.

Remember, if you are going away for a week or more, and live within 495, a car service both ways is cheaper than driving yourself and parking at the garage. And much more convenient, IMO.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Unfortunately I live outside 495. Shared Van from the Worcester area is about a $100 round trip, so only really worth it if you are going for a long trip or are traveling as a group (additional passengers re much cheaper). My biggest problem with Logan Express is that the current temp parking lot is not very secure and that to get there you have to navigate the stupid traffic around the mall. Poor location choice. Plus, on weekends (when I travel) the bus only runs hourly, which adds more time to getting to the airport. I usually find that unless I am flying cross country I spend more time getting to and from the airport than I spend flying.

I have always wondered why there is no bus service from Worcester. I suppose I would be a little more accepting of the parking fee increases if they didn't then make you pay a full additional day when you go on a two night trip and arrive a few hours later than you took off.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 1:23 pm

In my experience, Framingham Logan Express is a good option, but an even better option is FlightCar, where you park for free near the Thrifty rental place just beyond the airport and they make money by renting your car out to others. You get paid for the miles they drive. We've used them a couple of times and been impressed. (They shuttle you back to Logan, of course.)
Old Oct 29, 2014, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
Hampton Inn Logan airport

Last time I flew out of Logan I used Hampton Inn package for "Stay Park and Fly" Rate.
Decent room (2-room "Suite") good for family w/2 kids.
Rate, including Room and 21-days of parking, WITH free shuttle to terminal was $264.00 plus tax of $22.70.
So...about $14 per day parking including room and shuttle.

For shorter stay and nicer hotel, I have also used the Embassy Suite at Logan.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:24 pm

I'm fine with PreFlight, but I like them better at PHL and BWI. BWI is very cheap (and have nice staff) and PHL has indoor option.

The issue with BOS PreFlight is the lack of indoor parking. For about the same price, Logan economy offers indoor option (yes, I know about the PreFlight coupon, but the coupon rate is no longer $15). If BOS PreFlight starts offering indoor parking or is substantially cheaper than economy parking, I could use it more.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by radiowell
I'm fine with PreFlight, but I like them better at PHL and BWI. BWI is very cheap (and have nice staff) and PHL has indoor option.

The issue with BOS PreFlight is the lack of indoor parking. For about the same price, Logan economy offers indoor option (yes, I know about the PreFlight coupon, but the coupon rate is no longer $15). If BOS PreFlight starts offering indoor parking or is substantially cheaper than economy parking, I could use it more.
In the past (maybe it's changed now), Logan economy parking required you to drag your bags to a bus stop and wait for a bus that comes about every twenty minutes. If I wanted to do that I'd have parked at Framingham and saved money.

At least with PreFlight, their van turns up directly at your parking space almost instantly, and you don't have to take bags anywhere or wait.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 6:51 pm

Tomorrow's rate for PrefFight = $22. ($20 + $2 fee)
It was $18 with no fee in June (2017)
It was $17 with no fee last year (2016)
My tomorrow's flight is too early for parking at Wonderland and taking the Blue Line.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by Hong Zhang
Tomorrow's rate for PrefFight = $22. ($20 + $2 fee)
It was $18 with no fee in June (2017)
It was $17 with no fee last year (2016)
My tomorrow's flight is too early for parking at Wonderland and taking the Blue Line.
Ugh. That’s with the coupon (regular rate is $24 per day, I checked). I guess they are emboldened to raise the rates after the Logan keeps jacking up the parking prices at the similar pace.

Thanks for the report. Welcome to Flyertalk.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Airport parking is in a death spiral. Losing money because more and more people arrive via shared ride, e.g. Uber & Lyft because it's cheap if you live close enough. The initial reaction to revenue loss is to increase prices rather than cut capacity due to long-term leases.

Prices at places such as BOS are going to keep on rising until the private lots put their space to other uses and the market evens out.

People who drive a long distance to airports and can't really benefit from shared ride are going to bear the brunt of this.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 9:45 pm

I have no choice but using the Central Garage when picking up or sending off people (not frequently fortunately). I have noticed the garage is quite full usually, so it is hard to imagine they are losing money. I was actually thinking the opposite - they still get plenty of customers despite the price hike, why not raise it even more. I think one problem is that many business travelers are insensitive to the parking cost. If institutions start to encourage their employees to use economical parking (e.g. by sharing the saving), the price hiking may be stopped.
I asked PreFlight staff about the reservation fee. They told me that is recent. From now on, I will try to use Wonderland whenever it is feasible.Their fee is $12/day.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: B6, Amtrak, DL, AA, Marriott, Hilton
Worth reminding folks that the ultra-cheap option is still available at Wellington in the Station Landing garage. $5/day on the upper levels (MBTA area). Does not appear to be a restriction on how long you stay (I've done a full week before). Payment is cash only. Longer ride to airport (Orange Line to Blue Line) but most economical if you can accommodate the subway ride to airport.

http://www.pilgrimparking.com/boston...ing-garage.htm
Old Nov 19, 2017, 11:48 am

That is a great tip. I did not know $5/day still existed around Boston. Many people in the North Shore use Logan Express in Peabody ($7/day for parking, $22 for round trip shuttle). I have never used it. I think the bus trip is vulnerable to traffic jam on Rt.1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.