Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

Home Depot in Boston by Public Transport

Old Sep 11, 14, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: No longer bothered chasing FF status.

Hi all,

Hoping some Boston locals can help us out here.

Mrs Kered & I are going to be in Boston for a few days next week & we'd like to visit a Home Depot. Strange I know, for a tourist to want to go to a Home Depot, but we always like to visit one when over in the U.S.

We usually have a car on our visits, so it's usually no problem, we even have a few favourite HD's in the various places we regularly visit. But on this occasion, we won't have a car, so would need to get there by Public Transport.

I've had a look at the HD website & have picked out the Home Depots at - South Bay Centre & at Mystic Ave, Somerville, as being the most likely candidates. Both seem to have "T" Stops nearby, but looking on Google Street view, I can't quite figure out what the neighborhoods near these stores are like & how safe they would be to walk around.

So I was hoping that perhaps that some of the Boston locals on here might be offer some advice as to what the areas around these stores are like & how suitable it would be to walk over to one.

Aslo, of course, if anyone has any other suggestions as to another store that might be easier / safer to get to, I'd be most grateful of any advice you can offer.

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Kered
Old Sep 11, 14, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
The South Bay Center has a bus stop in the plaza right across from and next to the HD there. Multiple lines serve it, IIRC. I used to take the 10 bus there. There's not much of a neighborhood to walk around in either location. Both are safe. There's a great Asian market in the South Bay Center.
Old Sep 11, 14, 2:26 pm

Those are both safe enough areas to ealk around, especially during the day.

Lowe's is a major competitior of Home Depot. They are basically the same store, if anything Lowe's is slightly nicer, IMO. Not sure if they have one convenient for you.
Old Sep 11, 14, 7:56 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, {Hilton, Bonvoy} Gold
Where are you planning to stay? That will affect which ones are most convenient to get to by transit.

If you're staying in the Back Bay or somewhere else convenient to the Orange Line, I'd recommend the Somerville store; there's now an Orange Line station not far away from it (Assembly, the newest MBTA station) and it should be a reasonable walk through the Assembly Row/Assembly Square shopping area.

I wouldn't exactly call it a "neighborhood", but they've added a bunch of outlet-mall shops recently and there is at least some residential either built or planned.
Old Sep 12, 14, 2:48 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for your helpful replies

will2288 Oh yes, we're well familiar with Lowes too, in fact we will always try to get a visit into one of their stores when we can. On this occasion though, we'll "restrict ourselves" to a Home Depot.

CKDGMWe're staying pretty much in the Back Bay area, so the Orange line, or in fact any other "T" line would be easy for us to hop onto.

Good to know that the "Assembly" station is now open I had spotted that there was a Legoland Discovery attraction, near the Somerville HD store, so thought "bingo" there is bound to be a T stop nearby, but all I could find on the Assembly station was that it was set to open Fall of 2014.

tkey75 Thanks for the heads up on a Bus option. I hadn't actually thought of using bus routes at all, I was focused more on using the "T" or commuter rail.

Cheers also for the tip on the Asian Market at the South Bay centre, if we go there, we'll be sure to check it out.

Just to explain, why in the heck a couple of tourists from Ireland, visiting Boston would want to go to a Home Depot.

Whenever we are in the U.S. we will always seek out a HD & a Lowes & drop in for a look around. I'm an electrician by trade & although I no longer work in the business, I always like to see how other countries "do their thing" so I enjoy browsing around the electrical sections of these stores looking at the various fittings & devices. I'm also a "tool junkie" & am often found tinkering away at something in my workshop, so will often pick up a couple of hand tools. I often find the selection, quality & pricing on a lot of hand tools in the U.S. to be more favorable to what I can get over here. I particulary like the Channellock, Klein & Crescent brands of tools.

Thankfully the wonderful "Mrs Kered" is also happy to have a browse around a HD or Lowes & enjoys picking up a few bits 'n' bobs for the home or garden.

So thank you all once again for your helpful advice, very much appreciated

Kered
Old Sep 12, 14, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by kered View Post
CKDGMWe're staying pretty much in the Back Bay area, so the Orange line, or in fact any other "T" line would be easy for us to hop onto.

Good to know that the "Assembly" station is now open I had spotted that there was a Legoland Discovery attraction, near the Somerville HD store, so thought "bingo" there is bound to be a T stop nearby, but all I could find on the Assembly station was that it was set to open Fall of 2014.
Yeah, it opened at the beginning of September (and already has flooding problems when it rains, alas).

Enjoy your visit!
Old Sep 13, 14, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CKDGM View Post
Enjoy your visit!
We sure will

Boston is one of our favourite cities & always love to spend time there, so we're really looking forward to our trip

The icing on the cake, this time, is we get to see the Eagles play in TD Garden on Monday night
Old Sep 13, 14, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by kered View Post
.....I'm also a "tool junkie" ......
Thankfully the wonderful "Mrs Kered" is also happy to have a browse around a HD or Lowes & enjoys picking up a few bits 'n' bobs for the home or garden.
Grew up with a tool junkie father....and eventually inherited. :-) Yes!

The seasonal Halloween store next to HD might be open next week. Pop in to see what a huge inventory of costumes and such they have.
Mrs. Kered can also indulge herself at the TJ Maxx in the other strip of stores near the Home Depot. There's also a Bed And Bath, a Sports Authority, KMart and several more. Further down is the "very American" Christmas Tree shop, with its bargains including everything anyone might want for any given US holiday. Next week you can stock up for Halloween. :-)
In addition to the Legoland with its 2 story Duplo giraffe outside on the savanna of Somerville and exhibits upstairs, Mrs. K might like this new section of the mall, Assembly Row, nearest the T stop, which has stores like Nike, Puma, Brooks Brothets, Clark's, Pendleton, Off Fifth, Converse, and Le Creuset, just to name a few. Some decent restaurants too. And rumor has it that Legal Seafoos has finally opened.

Have fun.
Old Sep 14, 14, 1:21 am
Original Poster

Quick check in before we get on the road for the airport

VidaNaPraia Thanks so much for the additional information on all the shopping etc at Assembly Square

I can feel the credit card warming in my pocket as I type
Old Sep 15, 14, 7:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat
The Somerville store is also a fair bit larger than the South Bay Store with a better selection of items. I did this very trip via T from Back Bay this weekend to pick up a rental truck/supplies this weekend and it is a breeze.
Old Sep 15, 14, 2:28 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Whatever, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold
Uh, isn't there a Home Depot like a 5 minute walk from Andrew Station on the Red Line T?
Old Sep 16, 14, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by nineworldseries View Post
Uh, isn't there a Home Depot like a 5 minute walk from Andrew Station on the Red Line T?
Yes, the one in South Bay Center, previously mentioned. The walk from Andrew is pretty cruddy though IMO.
Old Sep 16, 14, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Just popping in to say that we went over to the Home Depot at Somerville / Assembly Square yesterday morning.

As was suggested, "Mrs Kered" enjoyed the shops in the new retail /outlet area very much & as suspected the credit card was warmed

Overall the journey out there on the T & over to both HD & the shops was a breeze & made for a very enjoyable couple hours. So thank you once again to all for your very helpful advice.

Boston is great city, one of our favourites & the response I got on here to my question, was typical of the friendly & ever helpful nature of anyone we meet or interact with, while visiting this wonderful city

Cheers,

Kered

Ps. Oh & the Eagles played a super show at TD Garden last night too
Old Sep 16, 14, 5:10 pm

Glad you enjoyed yourselves. Hope your purchases remind you of us here in Boston every time you use them, for years to come !
Old Sep 18, 14, 11:04 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, DL Gold, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, HHonors Gold, RC Rewards Gold, VIPorter
Lowes and HD are within walking distance of the Quincy Adams Red Line station

Search this Thread