Wiki Posts
Search

Boston for an evening in March

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2013, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime GLD, SPG Lifetime GLD
Boston for an evening in March

My wife and I will be arriving in BOS late afternoon on a Saturday from SNN. Given the time change, we probably won't have a ton of energy, but neither of us has ever been to Boston and we don't want to spend the entire evening in the hotel. Our flight to DFW is the next morning.

Any recommendations on the best way to spend the evening? Hotel wise, I'd like to keep it to SPG properties so I can use points for the night. I've read about the Liberty, but I've also had people mention that staying in Cambridge would be better.

Thanks

Tom

Last edited by Illini_Fan; Dec 16, 2013 at 2:54 pm Reason: clarification
Old Dec 16, 2013, 2:19 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Liberty is great because of the inhouse restaurant, Scampo.

Cambridge is a great place to stay if you're going to have a chance to wander about the various squares: Harvard, Central, Porter, Kendall, etc. Arriving late afternoon (and going through Customs, and leaving the next morning would kind of make that difficult.

Plus, a cab to Cambridge is going to cost more than a cab ride to Boston.

There's a Westin on the Waterfront/Seaport that is closest to the airport. If there is no convention it can be very affordable. And the Waterfront/Seaport has a whole bunch of new, great dining options.

Otherwise, the Sheraton Boston and Westin Copley Square are at opposite ends of a huge, indoor, urban mall, so lots of upscale shopping opportunities, along with plenty of dining options.

And the W is in the theater district, good chance there's a decent show you can see on Saturday night within walking distance.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
If you're just in for one night and want to go nice, I agree with Out that the Liberty and Scampo are a good choice. Very easy to the airport and back, neat building, good food and can be some good people watching at the bar on a weekend night. If not too late, you can also take a walk up Charles Street (which is charming) to the Public Garden.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Another vote for the Liberty, great property and easy to get to the airport via cab or Red and Silverline if you so choose. Great restaurants in Beacon Hill and close to Boston Common, Public Garden, and Esplanade which may be very nice in March depending on the weather.

Westin Copley is another great choice, good location and many shops and restaurants nearby. They did a full renovation a couple years ago and the new style is very nice.

I would personally avoid the W. It's very loud, poorly constructed and has a cheap feeling to it.

Westin Waterfront is convenient to the airport but that's about it. You'll be a ways from most anywhere you would want to go other than a handful of restaurants in the Seaport district.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 7:45 am
djs

Programs: UA, Hertz Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver
Time will tell over the next few weeks, but with the Callahan Tunnel now closed for the next 3 months (anyone taking the 'under' on that one?), unless the OP is going to take public transportation back to the airport, I would hold off on booking anything in the city.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime GLD, SPG Lifetime GLD
Originally Posted by djs
Time will tell over the next few weeks, but with the Callahan Tunnel now closed for the next 3 months (anyone taking the 'under' on that one?), unless the OP is going to take public transportation back to the airport, I would hold off on booking anything in the city.

Thanks - I did book the Liberty.

We will be using either a cab or trying public transportation. From looking at the MBTA Trip Planner it looks like a combination of bus/Red Line train is the most direct option. Does that sound correct?

But maybe the trip planner isn't accurate. It seems that taking the Silver line from the terminal to the Red Line South Station would be much easier than doing a bus/train combo.

Last edited by Illini_Fan; Dec 29, 2013 at 8:17 am Reason: Added comment about Silver Line
Old Dec 29, 2013, 10:11 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Illini_Fan
Thanks - I did book the Liberty.

We will be using either a cab or trying public transportation. From looking at the MBTA Trip Planner it looks like a combination of bus/Red Line train is the most direct option. Does that sound correct?

But maybe the trip planner isn't accurate. It seems that taking the Silver line from the terminal to the Red Line South Station would be much easier than doing a bus/train combo.
The Silver line to South Station and then the Red line to MGH/Charles is the easiest way to the Liberty hotel. The Silver line is actually a bus (a trolley/bus hybrid). It uses the Ted Williams tunnel and doesn't depend on the closed Callahan tunnel. Also, fares are not collected at the airport. You'll need to get a Charlie ticket or card by the next morning though.

The MBTA Trip Planner probably suggests an alternative trip with a bus (not Silver line) to the Airport station on the Blue line, then Green or Orange line and finally the Red line to MGH/Charles. This route doesn't depend on the Ted Williams tunnel, which may be jammed on the way to the airport. Thus, despite more transfers it's worth looking at this route for the return trip to the airport, since the overall tunnel capacity is reduced only for the travel to the airport due to Callahan's closure.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by grrizzli
The Silver line to South Station and then the Red line to MGH/Charles is the easiest way to the Liberty hotel.
To reinforce, the hotel is directly across the street from the MGH/Charles stop.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 8:48 am
djs

I agree with the Silver Line to South Station to Charles/MGM to get to the hotel, but would avoid the Silver Line on the return to the airport, instead taking the Red Line to the Green Line to the Blue line.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by djs
I agree with the Silver Line to South Station to Charles/MGM to get to the hotel, but would avoid the Silver Line on the return to the airport, instead taking the Red Line to the Green Line to the Blue line.
That makes no sense at all. One can take an incredibly easy and efficient two-seat ride (Red Line to Silver Line). Why would you propose the more complicated and time consuming four-seat ride (Red Line to Green Line to Blue Line to MassPort shuttle bus)?
Old Dec 30, 2013, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie
That makes no sense at all. One can take an incredibly easy and efficient two-seat ride (Red Line to Silver Line). Why would you propose the more complicated and time consuming four-seat ride (Red Line to Green Line to Blue Line to MassPort shuttle bus)?
The blue line platform at Government Center IS lovely in March.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 5:59 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Considering the Government Center T Station will be closed for 2 years starting in "spring", and part of March is considered to be "spring", making plans that avoid that Blue Line transfer might be advisable:

http://www.mbta.com/riding_the_t/default.asp?id=26899
Old Dec 31, 2013, 8:22 am
djs

Because with the Callahan Tunnel closed, traffic through the Ted Williams Tunnel may be horrendous.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by djs
Because with the Callahan Tunnel closed, traffic through the Ted Williams Tunnel may be horrendous.
I think some may be panicking prematurely.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 4:30 pm

Programs: Continental One Pass
I think some may be panicking prematurely.
Yes and no. I think under most circumstances there won't be any issues getting to Logan. During rush hour it will be difficult (what else is new?). If there is an accident in the tunnel, it could cause a lot of problems, especially if combined with rush hour.

The biggest issue is the only way to easily and conveniently approach the Ted Williams Tunnel under normal circumstances is from the Mass Pike or I-93 Northbound. It will NOT be easy from Downtown Boston, although MassDOT did set up some detours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.