Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

No Name Restaurant, Boston

No Name Restaurant, Boston

Old Jan 16, 13, 6:39 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

That is interesting. Over the years I have come to like the chowder at NoName more than the more creamy chowder at Legal Seafood.

Originally Posted by Out of my Element View Post
Best clam chowder is probably still Legal Sea Foods.

Best lobster roll is Belle Isle, but there's no ambiance there (ok, a tiny bit, now that they moved and added beer and wine.
Old Jan 16, 13, 7:42 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Does the no name have clam chowder? I love their fish chowder, so that's all I ever got in the last 30 something years, not even sure clam chowder is on the menu.
Old Jan 16, 13, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by oldgoldflyer View Post
That is interesting. Over the years I have come to like the chowder at NoName more than the more creamy chowder at Legal Seafood.
The more cream - the less STUFF you have to put in the chowdah ! Certainly good for Legal's food cost.
Old Jan 17, 13, 5:58 am

Location: Box Three Five Oh, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by cordelli View Post
Does the no name have clam chowder? I love their fish chowder, so that's all I ever got in the last 30 something years, not even sure clam chowder is on the menu.
You are correct. They have an excellent fish chowder (that also has little shrimp and other prizes in it)
Old Jan 17, 13, 6:20 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, HH Gold, MR Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
The old days at the No Name were great in a "total experience" way. Waiting in a long line outside on a summer evening with friends and a cooler filled with cold ones. They didn't have a liquor license and only used the seating on the bottom floor. Over the years we have found it much more accessable and the quality has slipped a little but is still acceptable as a no frills dining experience.

Still, we find it worth the drive to head down 93 to Quincy Shore Drive where The Clam Box and Tony's Clam Shop sit overlooking Wollaston Beach. Both places are good for fried seafood but we tend to favor Tony's. Both have seating inside and out. On a nice day you can sit on the benches along the sidewalk bordering the beach. Both close for the winter months IIRC.
Old Jan 17, 13, 7:44 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I stand corrected. NoName's Chowder is delish, even if it is fish chowder and not clam chowder. Anywhere else I should try?

Originally Posted by cordelli View Post
Old Jan 17, 13, 11:50 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Clam Chowder you say?

Legal Seafood is about a 7/10...good, but not excellent. Too many potatoes for my liking.

I really love the chowder at, get ready, Sam Lagrassas.

It is amazing! They use bacon (not traditional) and it is made fresh everyday. Plus their sandwiches are hands down the best I've ever had in my life.
Old Dec 31, 19, 7:22 am

The No Name is shutting down after 102 years.

I guess those long lines didn't pay

https://bostonrestaurants.blogspot.c...losed-for.html
Old Dec 31, 19, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
The No Name is shutting down after 102 years.

I guess those long lines didn't pay

https://bostonrestaurants.blogspot.c...losed-for.html
I'm surprised it lasted that long. That place has been on my "must avoid" list since 1985 or so.
Old Jan 1, 20, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
I'm surprised it lasted that long. That place has been on my "must avoid" list since 1985 or so.
Your loss for the past 34 years (see the thread). Everyone else's loss going forward.

It was never gourmet, but it was always good and fresh and affordable. Free parking, too. The last link to the old days of the Waterfront.

That whole pier is going to be fancy condos in 10 years or less.
Old Jan 1, 20, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
The last link to the old days of the Waterfront.

That whole pier is going to be fancy condos in 10 years or less.
No disagreement there. Snuffed out like Anthony's Pier 4 and Jimmy's Harborside. Now we have "progress" like the Seaport, where the town elders decided to build an outpost of Singapore while neglecting the means of access and egress, as if the MBTA was up to the challenge.

Maybe you thought No Name was "good and fresh and affordable", as opposed to the Sysco-ized, overpriced for the quality tourist trap it had become over the decades. Then again, you think Legal's has the best clam chowder. I'd give you that Legal's makes the best flour and potato chowder, that's about it. Legal's is another institution that has gone downhill from around 1985, not long after the Inman Square store conveniently burned down, and the Berkowitz family sold out.

Last edited by Pickles; Jan 1, 20 at 9:18 am
Old Jan 1, 20, 4:31 pm

I was with you until the end of the first paragraph
Old Jan 2, 20, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
I was with you until the end of the first paragraph
Which post is this in reference to?

(As a Boston-area resident since the mid-1960s I was there back in the "old days," but was never that impressed.)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: