Portland, ME - Where to eat?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Portland, ME - Where to eat?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2015, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
I thought it was good but not great the last time we went (maybe 2 months ago). Petite Jacqueline has the same owners and exec chef, and I think it's a better restaurant if I were to pick one of the two.

If you were interested in the tasting menu at 555, Hugo's is a better option on all 3 fronts - food, wine and service. If the a la carte menu was more interesting to you, PJ would be my recommendation if you're not wanting to chance Eventide or Central Provisions.

I don't mean to come off as 555 being a bad restaurant. It's not bad, it's just that there is so much competition in that space and they end up being kind of average for Portland in their segment. I can name a lot of places where it'd be a really good restaurant. IMHO, they need to drop the tasting menus and focus more on the seasonal menu. My wife and I last visited and did two different tasting menus, and both of us liked it enough, but for $300 (with drinks/wine pairings), we agreed there were better options. You've really got to justify $150pp in this city, there's just too much talent.

Just curious, are your dates firmed up?
Thanks so much again- we will be there in late June and then again in mid July
Old Apr 16, 2015, 10:31 am

Thanks for all the great tips everyone. The wife and I will be in ME (portland then Acadia) in mid July, Eventide's menu is making my mouth water already.

I'm a sucker for raw oysters and you just can't get them down in Maryland like in NE.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aterp2007
Thanks for all the great tips everyone. The wife and I will be in ME (portland then Acadia) in mid July, Eventide's menu is making my mouth water already.

I'm a sucker for raw oysters and you just can't get them down in Maryland like in NE.
Be ready for a wait! The restaurant seats maybe 20 people.
Old May 6, 2015, 3:43 pm

How is Fore Street Restaurant?
Old May 6, 2015, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by off2rome
How is Fore Street Restaurant?
Very good, and very high end. Some folks say it's the best of the high end places in Portland, others might go with Hugo's, but they're both great. You wouldn't go wrong with a reservation at Fore Street, but if you can't get one they do hold tables for walk-in's. You'll just want to get there early to get in line if you can't get a reservation.
Old May 6, 2015, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
I recently went back to 555 and it's still a good restaurant, but I'd take it down a tier. For the price, it was good but not great. I'd rather an evening at Hugo's if you're into a tasting menu with pairings.

Hugo's and Fore Street are the two best in the city, IMHO, for high end dining. Fore Street might have a dress code, but Hugo's is probably still the most casual place in the city to drop $300 if you're inclined.
I love Portland -- spend a couple of months near there every summer. But I have to disagree on Hugo's since the buyout. I've had some wildly inconsistent service there.

Miyake and Street & Company are excellent, as is Fore Street. I also like two slightly out-of-the-way spots: Back Bay Grill and Petite Jacqueline.
Old May 6, 2015, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by fastflyer
I love Portland -- spend a couple of months near there every summer. But I have to disagree on Hugo's since the buyout. I've had some wildly inconsistent service there.

Miyake and Street & Company are excellent, as is Fore Street. I also like two slightly out-of-the-way spots: Back Bay Grill and Petite Jacqueline.
Thank you!

Quick question on lobster- I don't see a lot of it on menus I am looking at???
Old May 6, 2015, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by fastflyer

I haven't experienced that at Hugo's, but I will admit to being as much of a "regular" as one can be at their restaurants - we all know each other at this point. The sale didn't change much operationally, the same folks were doing the same things they do there today (minus Rob, who's across the street) and Chris (who is kicking ... with Central Provisions). For me, Hugo's is still one of the best experiences in the country - and local bias aside, I've felt that way long before we moved to Maine. The place has definitely evolved, but in a positive direction IMHO. The thing about Hugo's is no matter what, you're going to try something new that night.

Agree on Miyake - as well as Pai Men Miyake, for a more casual experience. Haven't been to Street & Co in a long time. PJ has always been pretty uneven for me - some nights great, some nights ok, and the service is very inconsistent. It is light years ahead of Evangeline, which used to occupy that spot. My wife likes the place a lot so we go, but on that corner, I would personally choose Pai Men Miyake or Boda 10 out of 10 times. Speaking of which, go to Boda.

Thank you!

Quick question on lobster- I don't see a lot of it on menus I am looking at???
Lobster's a surprisingly casual food around here. We're not quite to the time of year (soft shell season) where it's ubiquitous, but you can get it year round. For something a little more upscale, I think Eventide does a lobster bake, and I know they do a great warm lobster roll. More casual options would be places like J's Oyster or Portland Lobster Company - they both draw the tourists, but a traditional steamed lobster or roll is something you have to go out of your way to screw up. Becky's Diner also has a decent lobster roll, among other things. It's a good place to have your last morning's breakfast before heading out of town.
Old May 25, 2015, 10:20 am

Just confirmed we will be staying at the new Press Hotel. Anyone try the Union restaurant there yet?
Old Jun 7, 2015, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Is there a must-visit lobster-roll spot in Portland?

Also - since Portland seems to be the capital of East Coast uni (sea urchin), are there any spots that specialize in serving it? I'd rather not go to a sushi restaurant (no offense, but I've found sushi spots outside of NYC, and to a lesser extent LA, to be quite lacking broadly in terms of quality), but we didn't see any spots right off that seemed to uni-focused.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Is there a must-visit lobster-roll spot in Portland?

Assuming you mean in the Old Port, and not the part of Portland above the peninsula, Eventide's brown butter lobster roll is still my favorite in town. If you want more of the traditional style, Portland Lobster Company and J's Oyster will be fine. J's is super oldschool - lobster on a roll and a packet of mayo on the side. Old Port Sea Grill if you want something a little nicer inside.

Also - since Portland seems to be the capital of East Coast uni (sea urchin), are there any spots that specialize in serving it? I'd rather not go to a sushi restaurant (no offense, but I've found sushi spots outside of NYC, and to a lesser extent LA, to be quite lacking broadly in terms of quality), but we didn't see any spots right off that seemed to uni-focused.
Most places on the higher end in Portland are rotating their menus very frequently. Outside of something very traditional (like lobster), it's hard to recommend with accuracy where to find a specific ingredient. Despite your aversion to a sushi place, I'll stay close to that recommend calling Miyake (on Fore Street) ahead of your stay and see if they can make it happen for you. Hugo's might be able to do it for you as well if you wanted to call with enough notice and do a chef's menu one night. I've eaten uni at both restaurants.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 1:10 pm

anyone try Union at the new Press Hotel?
Old Jun 16, 2015, 3:00 pm

anyone try Union at the new Press Hotel?
Not yet. I was excited to go when it was going to be the folks from Arrows in the kitchen, but they've parted ways with the project - although they did help the new exec chef develop the opening menu. It's not to say I don't want to go, but it's not at the top of my list any more, and we're not getting out that much since we have a 3 year old.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll put in a plug for my favorite restaurant in Portland: Ebb and Flow. Mediterranean/Greek style food. Their horiatiki salad is always amazing, and so simple. Love the mezze appetizers which consist of a large fluffy pita and a spread. Cocktails are great too. Go.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 12:17 pm

Wife and I spent a gluttonous day in Portland on the 22nd. Started at Eventide (oysters, beets, lobster roll), moved to Duckfat (fries and salad), napped, kitchen table at Central Provisions (tuna toro, steak, more), and ended the night with a 915 table at Forestreet. Liked Eventide and Central Provisions the best, although we didn't eat much of the menu at DF, really just there for the fries (good, but not mind blowing). Really enjoyed the city that my wife called the SF of the East. Also really loved Hunt and Alpine Club and the bartender was from Maryland (rival high school of my wife) which was really cool and made for nice "small world" story.

Our whole New England trip was a blast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.