Wiki Posts
Search

Boston/Logan connection question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2012, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Boston/Logan connection question

I am flying into Terminal B at Boston/Logan on US Airways and have only 64 minutes to make a connection to Icelandair in Terminal E.

Is there a way of making the connection but not having to go through security again? I see that there are airport terminal bus routes, but is there a way just to walk and stay inside? It looks like the gate that I am arriving into (B19) is on the other side of a parking garage from the part of the terminal closer to Terminal E.

At Terminal E, is there a first class/Preferred/etc. security lane? Or any quick way to make it through security? I am first class on US Airways but not on the connecting airline (although I'd gladly pay any kind of fee to avoid the long security line).

Thanks!
Old Jul 1, 2012, 11:36 am

No. The terminals are not connected past security. There's a detailed airport map at http://www.massport.com/logan-airpor...tive-maps.html including security checkpoint locations.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Here is a link to a recent discussion of connections between Terminals B and E. With just over an hour, it's doable if your flight is on time. Take a look at my walking instructions from the US Airways side of Terminal B in the linked thread, which has you cut through Terminal A on the way to Terminal E. If you walk at a brisk pace, I think this is the way to go.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Perfect. Thank you!
Old Jul 2, 2012, 9:09 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Terminal E does have a priority security lane; it's on the far left, or at least was last time I used that terminal. I don't know if you can pay to get access to it (unless you want to buy up to business/first class on your flight, of course.) Security in terminal E can be quite long (20-30 minutes) depending on the time of day.

Assuming you're coming from NYC, I'd *strongly* recommend taking the US shuttle an hour earlier to be safe.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 5:48 pm

Programs: Continental One Pass
I would not chance a 64 minute connection in this case. If your incoming flight is delayed, you will probably miss your connecting flight.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 1:46 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by Dm84
I would not chance a 64 minute connection in this case. If your incoming flight is delayed, you will probably miss your connecting flight.
Agreed. Your best case scenario is making it to the gate just as the door is about to close. With any taxi delays, or if you're stuck at the back of the plane, you may not even be off of your first flight by the time boarding begins for your Icelandair connection.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KPWM_Spotter
Your best case scenario is making it to the gate just as the door is about to close.
Not sure where this calculation comes from. With 64 minutes between flights, the OP's best case scenario is that he makes it to the gate before boarding of his connection begins. Worse case scenario is that he misses his flight. I agree that it's on the tight side, but if his flight to BOS is on time, he should be fine.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the advice.

For the trip back, arriving in Terminal E, going through customs and then heading to US Airways in Terminal B, are there are any similar time-saving tips, which were great?

I assume that there is a Preferred checkpoint lane for US Airways in terminal B-hopefully- but any tips on getting through Customs quickly and making the trek back to terminal B would be most appreciated.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, United 1K,
Will Star Gold status get me into the priority security line in Terminal E when traveling in economy?
Old Oct 7, 2015, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Will I have trouble getting through TSA checkpoint to visit the AF lounge in Terminal E if I have a ticket for a UA flight departing Terminal B? (AF is part of Lounge Club program)

Also how much time should I allocate to walk or shuttle between the terminals?

I have pre-check and traveling in F, so not too concerned about waiting time at TSA.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Will I have trouble getting through TSA checkpoint to visit the AF lounge in Terminal E if I have a ticket for a UA flight departing Terminal B? (AF is part of Lounge Club program)

Also how much time should I allocate to walk or shuttle between the terminals?

I have pre-check and traveling in F, so not too concerned about waiting time at TSA.
You shouldn't have a problem, but you should know that the AF lounge is pretty lame.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 5:31 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Agreed that you won't have a problem. If you're expecting something like the AF lounge in CDG, you'll be sorely disappointed. But if you're looking for a lounge with decent food options that's a step up from the UA club, the AF lounge will certainly suffice for that.

I'd allocate 15 minutes between terminals whether walking or taking the shuttle.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 6:37 pm

Did they finally add pre check at Terminal E? Sorry I hardly ever go to E.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 5:41 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, United 1K,
Originally Posted by radiowell
Did they finally add pre check at Terminal E? Sorry I hardly ever go to E.
No precheck as of July in Terminal E

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.