Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

Boston/Logan connection question

Boston/Logan connection question

Reply

Old Sep 23, 17, 8:12 pm
  #61  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Valley of the Sun
Programs: AA PLT, SPG PLT, IHG AMB PLT,
Posts: 10,677
Originally Posted by Out of my Element View Post
Legal Harborside ground floor has always been good when we've gone.
Legal Harborside upstairs is sublime. One of the best restaurants in Boston.
Originally Posted by PWMTrav View Post
Yup, I don't have a problem with Legal Harborside. Haven't been in a year, though.
It was downstairs, just didn't do anything for us. But will be eyeing Legal Test Kitchen at the airport as I believe our flight leaves from one of the gates close to it. No meal on the BOS-DTW flight
FlightNurse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 17, 6:39 pm
  #62  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: BOS
Programs: DL PM 1MM, MR LT Plat Premier
Posts: 2,672
Originally Posted by FlightNurse View Post
I believe our flight leaves from one of the gates close to it.
You won't know what gate BOS-DTW leaves from until the day of the flight; it could be a gate right next to LTK or over in the satellite terminal. Even if the latter is true, it's still at most a 5-10 minute walk from LTK to your gate.
LoganFlyer is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 18, 11:34 pm
  #63  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA, Hilton
Programs: United, Hilton
Posts: 3,230
UA Club to Terminal C

This time I'm going from UA Club (Terminal B) to Terminal C Alaska.

It took me 10min to go from UA Club to Terminal A security last fall.
Will it be a pretty similar deal for getting to Terminal C in terms of time it takes?

Looking at the terminal map, it seems like you go landside, then walk along the road to Terminal C. Is it pretty straightforward?
evergrn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 18, 4:46 pm
  #64  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,239
Originally Posted by evergrn View Post
This time I'm going from UA Club (Terminal B) to Terminal C Alaska.

It took me 10min to go from UA Club to Terminal A security last fall.
Will it be a pretty similar deal for getting to Terminal C in terms of time it takes?

Looking at the terminal map, it seems like you go landside, then walk along the road to Terminal C. Is it pretty straightforward?
Pretty much the same amount of time (maybe a minute or two less) but you don't need to walk along the road.

There is an interior hallway past the American Airlines check in gates.

Note that there are very few services in the small area where Alaska's gates are. If you want real meal, you'll need to do that landside.
Yahtzee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 18, 7:35 pm
  #65  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA, Hilton
Programs: United, Hilton
Posts: 3,230
Originally Posted by Yahtzee View Post
Pretty much the same amount of time (maybe a minute or two less) but you don't need to walk along the road.

There is an interior hallway past the American Airlines check in gates.

Note that there are very few services in the small area where Alaska's gates are. If you want real meal, you'll need to do that landside.
Okay, thanks.
Isn't there a Legal's post-security at Terminal C? Or is that far from Alaska's gates? Basically I was going to do coffee & salad at UA Club, then walk to Terminal C, get takeout at Legal's, then board my Alaska flight. I was budgeting 35min total for walk from UC->Terminal C security, get through Security (I have Pre), get takeout at Legal, walk to Alaska gate. Is that okay?
evergrn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 18, 1:21 am
  #66  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: BOS
Programs: DL PM 1MM, MR LT Plat Premier
Posts: 2,672
The problem is that there are two airside areas in terminal C. The main one is where you go to take a jetBlue flight and it has a Legal Seafood and lots of other stuff. Alaska is in the other airside area of terminal C; it consists of 3 gates and has hardly anything. The two airside areas of terminal C are disjoint, so to do what you want to do, you'd have to use the main checkpoint of terminal C, get the Legal Seafood, leave that secure area, and clear security again at the smaller checkpoint that leads to the Alaska gates. You can do that, you just have to leave yourself extra time.
LoganFlyer is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 18, 7:54 pm
  #67  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA, Hilton
Programs: United, Hilton
Posts: 3,230
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer View Post
The two airside areas of terminal C are disjoint, so to do what you want to do, you'd have to use the main checkpoint of terminal C, get the Legal Seafood, leave that secure area, and clear security again at the smaller checkpoint that leads to the Alaska gates. You can do that, you just have to leave yourself extra time.
Really? Even though it's the same terminal letter-wise, there are two separate post-security areas that aren't connected airside? I've never heard of such thing!

Thanks a lot for this valuable heads-up! In that case, I will just visit Legal's at Terminal B after coming out of United Club. Then walk with the take-out to Terminal C. My food will be pretty cold by the time I get to it on the airplane, but that's okay.
evergrn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 18, 8:37 pm
  #68  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: NYC/BOS/MSY/AUH
Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Posts: 15,310
Originally Posted by evergrn View Post
Really? Even though it's the same terminal letter-wise, there are two separate post-security areas that aren't connected airside? I've never heard of such thing!
Terminal C at BOS used to have three distinct airside areas.
The old Terminal A at BOS had two distinct airside areas.
Terminal B at BOS used to have three distinct airside areas.
Terminal E at BOS used to have two distinct airside areas.
Terminal B at LGA has four distinct airside areas.
DCA has three distinct airside areas across two terminals.

Last edited by Blumie; May 7, 18 at 8:43 pm
Blumie is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 18, 9:11 pm
  #69  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA, Hilton
Programs: United, Hilton
Posts: 3,230
Originally Posted by Blumie View Post

Terminal C at BOS used to have three distinct airside areas.
The old Terminal A at BOS had two distinct airside areas.
Terminal B at BOS used to have three distinct airside areas.
Terminal E at BOS used to have two distinct airside areas.
Terminal B at LGA has four distinct airside areas.
DCA has three distinct airside areas across two terminals.
Did not know that. BOS was my home airport years ago, but I guess I never paid attention back then. I used to fly AS all the time to SEA; I just remember it taking off from USAir area and the ground crew was mostly USAir.

Hopefully, at some point, all terminals at BOS will be connected airside just like LAX is trying to do.
evergrn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 18, 1:28 am
  #70  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA, Hilton
Programs: United, Hilton
Posts: 3,230
The walk was pretty long, certainly longer than United Club to Terminal A. Took about 12-13 minutes even though I fast-walked and despite Alaska's area being the closest to Terminal B that it possibly could've been. But it's good that you don't have to go outside and that there're no escalators / up and down involved.

Also, I was surprised by the difference in quality between Terminal A Legal's and Terminal B's (the one in front of United Club). The lobster roll was totally bland today, quite a bit more expensive than I remember it to be at Terminal A, and moreover they wouldn't pack the lobster meat and the baked bun separately like Terminal A did.
evergrn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 18, 4:18 pm
  #71  
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: SEA, or BOS, or other places. What day is it?
Programs: DL PM/1MM, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, {Hilton, Bonvoy} Gold
Posts: 1,097
Originally Posted by evergrn View Post
Hopefully, at some point, all terminals at BOS will be connected airside just like LAX is trying to do.
The remaining gaps are going to be tough to close, unfortunately.

At the moment (and TTBOMK) the airside zones at BOS are (going counter-clockwise around the airport):
  1. Terminal A (entire terminal including satellite gates)
  2. Terminal B (B1-B3 gates): minimal services
  3. Terminal B (B4-B37 gates)
  4. Terminal C (C40-C42 gates): minimal services
  5. Terminal C+E (C5-C34, E1-E12): includes the entirety of the old Terminal D airside
I expect the 2-3 gap to be closed fairly easily, probably in the next round of Terminal B renovations. The 4-5 gap is a bit harder to fix (more distance and more infrastructure in the way) but not unreasonable (since the far side of C had a similar connector built to get to E). The 1-2 and 3-4 gaps are unlikely to be closed any time soon due to significant distances between the terminals, but I think 3-4 is more likely than 1-2.

The current situation is still a vast improvement over what it was 20 years ago, though!
CKDGM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 18, 12:06 pm
  #72  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA, Hilton
Programs: United, Hilton
Posts: 3,230
Originally Posted by CKDGM View Post
The remaining gaps are going to be tough to close, unfortunately.

At the moment (and TTBOMK) the airside zones at BOS are (going counter-clockwise around the airport):
  1. Terminal A (entire terminal including satellite gates)
  2. Terminal B (B1-B3 gates): minimal services
  3. Terminal B (B4-B37 gates)
  4. Terminal C (C40-C42 gates): minimal services
  5. Terminal C+E (C5-C34, E1-E12): includes the entirety of the old Terminal D airside
I expect the 2-3 gap to be closed fairly easily, probably in the next round of Terminal B renovations. The 4-5 gap is a bit harder to fix (more distance and more infrastructure in the way) but not unreasonable (since the far side of C had a similar connector built to get to E). The 1-2 and 3-4 gaps are unlikely to be closed any time soon due to significant distances between the terminals, but I think 3-4 is more likely than 1-2.
I don't know what's involved with filling 4-5 gap, but 3-4 should be easy. They already have an enclosed corridor in place, and it doesn't seem like it would be a huge undertaking to convert it from landside to airside (although that might then eliminate the landside pedestrian route).
evergrn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 18, 9:48 am
  #73  
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: SEA, or BOS, or other places. What day is it?
Programs: DL PM/1MM, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, {Hilton, Bonvoy} Gold
Posts: 1,097
Originally Posted by evergrn View Post
I don't know what's involved with filling 4-5 gap, but 3-4 should be easy. They already have an enclosed corridor in place, and it doesn't seem like it would be a huge undertaking to convert it from landside to airside (although that might then eliminate the landside pedestrian route).
IIRC the existing landside route also connects to the administration building and chapel. I'm not sure it's simple to make that path an airside route.
CKDGM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 18, 11:55 am
  #74  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: BOS
Programs: B6, Amtrak, DL, AA, Marriott, Hilton
Posts: 211
It's probably possible to create a parallel corridor airside, from B37/38 to C40-42 (think of it as a sky bridge over the various support functions at ground level), but until those areas are connected to the rest of their respective terminals, it doesn't really do any real good, given the low level of activity in those sections. Perhaps when pm-AA side of B (B North) gets remodelled for a new airline, they can include the connector to B37/38 and on to C40's. I suspect the C40-rest of C connector doesn't become an issue until B6 runs out of room again and needs those gates back.
octr202 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 18, 10:21 am
  #75  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CLE
Programs: UA Gold, Marriot Plat, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Posts: 24
Question Quick Clarification

Bringing up an old thread here. I have a (legal) connection coming up next year arriving UA in the B terminal and flying out LH in the E terminal. I've got a little over two hours, so I'm not really worried on time. It looks like from B I can walk (indoors) all the way through C and will then need to exit security and then re-enter in C or E where I can walk to my LH gate. Am I correct here?
mrmoo is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread