FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   New England (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-england-452/)
-   -   New Parking Rates at BOS (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-england/1321490-new-parking-rates-bos.html)

Ambraciot Mar 5, 2012 2:48 pm

New Parking Rates at BOS

Did anyone else find out about the rate increase from a kiosk just before putting in their credit card? I glance at the logan site pretty frequently and didn't notice anything about the rate increase until I was picking up my car.

New Parking Rates Effective 3/1

To encourage HOV use, fund infrastructure improvements and improve accessibility, Massport recently changed its parking rates. The daily rate for Boston Logan’s Central Garage and Terminal B Garage has increased by $3 and the daily parking rate at Massport’s suburban Logan Express lots has decreased by $4.
I know a lot of downtown airports charge more than $27 a day for walking distance parking and $18 a day for shuttle bus parking isn't terrible, but every increase makes me look for other options.

A $22, 40 minute bus combined with $7/day parking doesn't sound great, is there a reasonable MBTA option?

cordelli Mar 5, 2012 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Ambraciot (Post 18140257)
but every increase makes me look for other options.

That is their plan, they don't want people to park there and they don't want people to drive there.

They put out a press release on 2/2 and some media covered it, but not many.

http://www.massport.com/news-room/Ne...ostHOVUse.aspx

Reducing the number of airport passengers and employees who drive to the airport is critical, especially when the growing number of Logan passengers strains the airport’s parking inventory. In 2011, Logan set a passenger record with 28.9 million. In the last two years, Logan has seen the number of parking exits increase by nearly 200,000, almost four percent year-over-year growth.

HUB Flyer Mar 5, 2012 5:40 pm

The sent out an email in early February which I got as a member of the Parking PASSPort program.

As much as I hate to pay anything to park anywhere I still think this is a bargain considering how close you are if parking and flying out of terminal B.

Out of my Element Mar 6, 2012 6:09 am

Originally Posted by Ambraciot (Post 18140257)
Did anyone else find out about the rate increase from a kiosk just before putting in their credit card? I glance at the logan site pretty frequently and didn't notice anything about the rate increase until I was picking up my car.

I know a lot of downtown airports charge more than $27 a day for walking distance parking and $18 a day for shuttle bus parking isn't terrible, but every increase makes me look for other options.

A $22, 40 minute bus combined with $7/day parking doesn't sound great, is there a reasonable MBTA option?

Tons of MBTA options, but not from most of the Logan Express locations.

Anderson, in Woburn, is on the commuter rail, but that takes you to North Station, so you'd have to make additional connections to get to the airport.

Rte 128 Station (Amtrak in Westwood) is $12/day, and you can take the commuter rail into South Station from there. Hop on the Silver Line for $2 and you're at Logan.

Ambraciot Mar 6, 2012 8:17 am

Indeed if you're using Terminal B the airport parking is still a great deal, but if you're coming in or out of A or E $27 a day doesn't seem like a great deal for what you get.

It seems odd there is no direct MBTA or Massport link between North Station and Logan through the Sumner tunnel.

The post they made on their website front page doesn't even mention the rate hike applying to the Terminal E lots, and their "Parking Information" main page still lists the old rates: http://www.massport.com/logan-airpor...s/Default.aspx

I'm not saying this is an outrage, but the communication and implementation could definitely have been handled better.

lo2e Mar 7, 2012 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Ambraciot (Post 18144824)
It seems odd there is no direct MBTA or Massport link between North Station and Logan through the Sumner tunnel.

I never realized that before but you're absolutely right, that does seem like quite an oddity. I guess if you're coming in by train, you'd want to exit at Anderson and take Logan Express to the airport.

I've heard of people parking at either one of the southern red line stations or one of the far western green line stations. I forget the exact daily amount, but this might be the absolute cheapest way to do it.

Ambraciot Mar 7, 2012 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by lo2e (Post 18154532)
I never realized that before but you're absolutely right, that does seem like quite an oddity. I guess if you're coming in by train, you'd want to exit at Anderson and take Logan Express to the airport.

I've heard of people parking at either one of the southern red line stations or one of the far western green line stations. I forget the exact daily amount, but this might be the absolute cheapest way to do it.

Yeah, but those both take a lot of extra time (since the red line and green line aren't between me and the airport).

I don't suppose the Air Force cutting back at BED could help a commercial airline move in, that would greatly simplify my transit and parking issues.

TheBOSman Mar 7, 2012 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by Ambraciot (Post 18154677)
Yeah, but those both take a lot of extra time (since the red line and green line aren't between me and the airport).

I don't suppose the Air Force cutting back at BED could help a commercial airline move in, that would greatly simplify my transit and parking issues.

W/O being too specific, how would BED being a good option not allow you to stop at Alewife? Alewife is $7 a night, though I have heard a handful of stories about breakins and whatnot, nothing outrageous or even bad really, but not totally unheard of. I'd personally love anything out of BED if it could remotely work, would be awesome for me as I'm maybe 15 minutes away, as opposed to 35-45 from Logan.

And I've already had to pay the $27 rates twice, once this past weekend and once tomorrow when I return from an MR. I thought I saw a notice posted somewhere in Terminal B near an exit to the garage last month, but that was it. I think it was just a I would never park at Central Parking and pay that, only Terminal B garage and Terminal E lot. Now if only they would allow me to get to the hybrid spots, rather than making me go up to higher levels :mad:, fortunately my next two trips are long trips that I will not be in the garage paying those rates for, likely to be hotel park and fly parking jobs. I really don't like BOS as an airport, wish I lived closer to BDL and AA had similar prices/equipment/frequencies from there, or that they had anything out of MHT. BOS is fast approaching LGA levels for really expensive daily parking :rolleyes:.

robertwcook16 Mar 8, 2012 6:42 am

I use the Station Landing garage at Wellington Station in Medford on the orange line. It is safe overnight parking in an enclosed garage for $5.00 a day. It takes a little extra time but you only have one transfer at State on the blue line.

http://www.stationlanding.com/garage.swf

rates are here:
http://www.stationlanding.com/Statio...rkingRates.pdf

TheBOSman Mar 8, 2012 7:14 am

Originally Posted by robertwcook16 (Post 18159157)
I use the Station Landing garage at Wellington Station in Medford on the orange line. It is safe overnight parking in an enclosed garage for $5.00 a day. It takes a little extra time but you only have one transfer at State on the blue line.

http://www.stationlanding.com/garage.swf

rates are here:
http://www.stationlanding.com/Statio...rkingRates.pdf

Good call, I'm not opposed to using the MBTA and it isn't too far off 93. Though the Orange Line is far and away my least favorite line. I also personally count the airport shuttle bus from Airport station as a transfer (anything I have to walk more than 50 feet is a transfer to me), I would go Orange-Red-Silver rather than Orange-Blue-Airport shuttle.

Ambraciot Mar 8, 2012 11:46 am

Originally Posted by TheBOSman (Post 18157695)
W/O being too specific, how would BED being a good option not allow you to stop at Alewife? Alewife is $7 a night, though I have heard a handful of stories about breakins and whatnot, nothing outrageous or even bad really, but not totally unheard of. I'd personally love anything out of BED if it could remotely work, would be awesome for me as I'm maybe 15 minutes away, as opposed to 35-45 from Logan.

Sounds like we're in the same neck of the woods, I take 225 to 95 then 93 to get to BOS, so I drive right by the entrance to BED on 225. Alewife isn't completely out of the question, but it is 30-40 minutes from home while I can be parked at BOS in 35-50 minutes. Alewife also wouldn't suit all my needs since they forbid parking for more than a week.

BED has the facilities to handle mainline flights (it's bigger than BDL or PVD) and I believe there is enough of a market to support one or two flights a day to ORD, ATL, MIA, MCO, DFW and even LAX. I think the mood in the local towns may be shifting away from the opposition to prior service. I know a number of significant local figures also hold hard earned elite status and must be sick of getting to/from BOS.

Originally Posted by TheBOSman (Post 18157695)
...my next two trips are long trips that I will not be in the garage paying those rates for, likely to be hotel park and fly parking jobs.

I've seen that option at airport hotels in other parts of the country, but I'm not all that familiar with BOS area hotels, what local hotels are good for park and fly? (My brand preferences currently go MR>CC>PC>anything else.)

TheBOSman Mar 8, 2012 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Ambraciot (Post 18161030)
Sounds like we're in the same neck of the woods, I take 225 to 95 then 93 to get to BOS, so I drive right by the entrance to BED on 225. Alewife isn't completely out of the question, but it is 30-40 minutes from home while I can be parked at BOS in 35-50 minutes. Alewife also wouldn't suit all my needs since they forbid parking for more than a week.

BED has the facilities to handle mainline flights (it's bigger than BDL or PVD) and I believe there is enough of a market to support one or two flights a day to ORD, ATL, MIA, MCO, DFW and even LAX. I think the mood in the local towns may be shifting away from the opposition to prior service. I know a number of significant local figures also hold hard earned elite status and must be sick of getting to/from BOS.

I've seen that option at airport hotels in other parts of the country, but I'm not all that familiar with BOS area hotels, what local hotels are good for park and fly? (My brand preferences currently go MR>CC>PC>anything else.)

Yeah, I'm a little more north and east, right off 495. I'm usually 3 to 95/128 to 93 to Logan. I'm liking the option robertwcook16 posted, Station Landing is a fairly secure area to me and isn't too far off 93. $22 less per day, minor plus of $3.40 RT for the subway/bus. Probably going to use that for my trip to Korea in May now. The only negative is the Orange Line, easily the least desirable of the four Boston subway lines. Never, ever smells good, so my Amex Plat AC access is really going to pay for itself in a warm shower. To me, either I pay to park at the B garage or I go for the cheapest possible. If I'm willing to take one bus ride to save a few $, I'll take several to save more if needed.

I'm using the South Boston CY Marriott in a couple of weeks, though I would call it as being in Dorchester myself. It is at South Bay off the Southeast Expressway. It had the best Park/Fly rate that I saw, the non-Marriotts (Hyatt/Hilton at the airport etc.) all had the extra Park/Fly charge over a normal room almost equal to just parking at the garages, and shorter allowed time. Doesn't seem to be an awful neighborhood (not the bad/worse parts of Dorchester). We shall see, I used the park/fly at the on airport Newark Marriott in January and that worked perfectly fine.

But I think we would need AA to rediscover MHT/PVD well before BED could be anything though! I could see DL starting there though eventually.

Out of my Element Mar 8, 2012 12:21 pm

About a year ago we were flying to FLL from BOS -- 6AM flight, so we spent the night in the Hilton on Logan property (got a very cheap rate for the night). Dumped the bags, put the car in the garage, then walked (inside) to the hotel. They told us that they had an unofficial "park and fly" deal if you stayed there, I believe it was $20/night. We decided that it wasn't enough off of the garage rate, and it wasn't under cover (this was January), and we had already parked in the big garage, and weren't going to move it.

But this might be an option, and who knows, the rate might be negotiable.

robertwcook16 Mar 8, 2012 2:35 pm

I know that the Hampton Inn which is right there on Route 1A near Logan, and the Four Points Sheraton do Park and fly rates - I had a friend do the Hampton and i think the nightly rate was 139.00/night with up to 14 days of parking

http://hamptoninn.hilton.com/en/hp/h...tyhocn=BOSLAHX

http://deals.fourpoints.com/Four-Poi..._112310_NAD_FM

Ambraciot Mar 8, 2012 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by robertwcook16 (Post 18162280)
I know that the Hampton Inn which is right there on Route 1A near Logan, and the Four Points Sheraton do Park and fly rates - I had a friend do the Hampton and i think the nightly rate was 139.00/night with up to 14 days of parking

http://hamptoninn.hilton.com/en/hp/h...tyhocn=BOSLAHX

http://deals.fourpoints.com/Four-Poi..._112310_NAD_FM

The Hampton want $269 ($300+ with tax) for the night before my trip in April and limits you to 7 days of parking. The Fourpoints isn't offering park and fly for that night.

The Logan Courtyard wants the same $269 plus tax, but at least gives you 10 nights of free parking and extras at $10 each. It's definitely cheaper to just do economy parking, but do I attach any value to the night out of my house full of boxes and rolled up carpets...