Wiki Posts
Search

Going to Maine

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2012, 5:42 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by WIRunner
I just wanted to mention again regarding the police in the sky.
There was a checkpoint between Augusta and Waterville on Monday, and one between Bangor and Carmel on Tuesday. There were about 6-7 squad cars at each all with someone pulled over. So keep an eye in the sky from time to time. I haven't seen them out this early yet.
There seems to be one quite frequently at the Maine Turnpike exit 42 overpass in Scarborough - it's an unmarked conversion van sitting on the overpass and several squad cars lined up on the on-ramp.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 6:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You're especially a target with an out-of-state license plate.

Originally Posted by WIRunner
I just wanted to mention again regarding the police in the sky. There was a checkpoint between Augusta and Waterville on Monday, and one between Bangor and Carmel on Tuesday.
They've got police helicopters looking for speeders out there? Wow.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Analise
You're especially a target with an out-of-state license plate.

They've got police helicopters looking for speeders out there? Wow.
It is a white fixed wing something. (I think a Cesna. I know, bad Flyertalker!) It can be fairly easy to spot. Flies kinda low, straight along the highway. Turns goes the other direction. Turns. Etc.

All those painted white markers on the pavement (the ones perpendicular to the roadway) are marked in specific distances. They start timing when you cross one, stop when you hit the other. Speed is calculated on how long it takes you to go between the two.

The upside is that because of the distance, they can't see the tags. It is still upto the officer who actually pulls you over.

Anyway, if you're not near an airport, and there is a plane flying low and slow. You'll probably want to keep it around 70.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:30 am

Thank you, WIRunner. What a great thing to know...in advance! ^
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:53 am

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
Good tips here. Enjoy your trip to Maine. As some say, the REAL Maine does not start until Washington County.

I was already up once this year, as my dad lives on Campobello. If you have time, or care to, visit Easport and Lubec. Memorial Day weekend is crazy but once you clear the Bangor area on the Airline (Rte 9), you're good. Cutler is beautiful, as well.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Good to know - we've been making so many plans I hope that we get to
see at least half. Only a few weeks away!

Thanks to everyone for being so helpful!
Old Jun 2, 2012, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

so, how was it?
Old Jun 3, 2012, 7:30 am
Original Poster

How nice of you to remember me! The place we rented in South Portland was very nice, clean and comfortable and convenient. Easy walk to a great neighborhood bakery.

The weather couldn't have been better - low to mid 70's each day, and on
Saturday I swear it must have hit 85. Gorgeous.

Starting in Boston we stopped at several places - Portsmouth, Wells, Kennebunk, Ogunquit, did many antique places - so, so many - and said
we would stop for longer on the way back home.

The ports are just as pretty as I thought they would be, fresh clean air,
adorable villages. I was struck by the size of the homes, so many large
ones.

Did a lot in Portland - that city offers so many things. And loved the tour of the Observatory and the docent there. Beautiful views all around. Old Port
was a real draw for cute shops and good ice cream.

We went towards Booth Bay, Booth Bay Harbor a few times and finally stopped at Red's Eat's for a lobster roll which was to die for. I couldn't eat the whole thing.

The farthest north we went was Camden and we spent a lot of time there.

I want to thank everybody who added their ideas here, they were invaluable
and we had a wonderful time - daughter didn't venture into the lobster meals, but she loved it too.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Glad you made it to Red's in Wiscasset. I just drove past there two weekends ago; looked like they were doing good business. I'm pleased your Maine trip was a success.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by BearX220
Glad you made it to Red's in Wiscasset. I just drove past there two weekends ago; looked like they were doing good business. I'm pleased your Maine trip was a success.
This recent WSJ article included Red's as one of the top places to get a Maine lobster roll but noted that the wait can be about an hour.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by OB one
This recent WSJ article included Red's as one of the top places to get a Maine lobster roll but noted that the wait can be about an hour.
Thanks for the link! Reds and Five Islands definitely belong there. But Linda Bean? Are you kidding? It's frou, frou. Adding all kinds of seasonings (11 of them?) masks the great lobster flavor. Just look at the picture. A lobster roll goes on a hot dog bun with as little done to do the lobster as possible. If you want a little warm butter or mayo, that's up for a legitimate discussion. The Ramp Bar's lobster roll also looks "frou frou". If it has to be defined as "upscale", forget it. The lobster roll on a round roll looks interesting. Some purists would be angry with that. Not me. It's the lobster that counts. McPerkins Cove shows a wonderful looking lobster roll with upscale french fries. As long as they don't mess with a lobster roll, I don't care what the sides look like.

Reds & Five Islands? The best on that list. If the writer had gone further downeast of the midcoast, Thurston's in Bernard is up there with Reds & Five Islands.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Eagle's Nest in Brewer has the best lobster rolls I've had. They do make theirs with mayo and lettuce, but it isn't gobbed down with either. The slaw that they serve is excellent. The downside? The restaurant is roughly the size of most people's foyer. But the view is excellent.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 12:24 pm

We're going to Portland for a few days. I hope the cheap lobster prices are still in effect.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Analise
We're going to Portland for a few days. I hope the cheap lobster prices are still in effect.
There was an article in the NYTimes recently indicating that the cheap prices weren't necessarily flowing down to the restaurant level (where the vast, vast majority of lobster is eaten). That said, a few weeks ago I drove from Portland to Bridgton (Route 25 to Route 114) and saw a triple lobster special for $19.99. My recollection is that it was pretty close to the beginning of my drive (i.e., close to Portland).
Old Aug 8, 2012, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie
There was an article in the NYTimes recently indicating that the cheap prices weren't necessarily flowing down to the restaurant level (where the vast, vast majority of lobster is eaten). That said, a few weeks ago I drove from Portland to Bridgton (Route 25 to Route 114) and saw a triple lobster special for $19.99. My recollection is that it was pretty close to the beginning of my drive (i.e., close to Portland).
I read that article along with a similar article in the WSJ; I think they were both published the same week. Both articles did state that there is a glut of softshell lobster. If that glut is still around, I hope that the lower pricing is reflected in the open-ended "market prices" of lobster at a lobster shack. I'm thinking Haraseeket Lobster in particular.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.