Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Going to Maine

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2012, 4:52 am

Programs: AA-EXP, UA, WN, DL- zilch by choice, IHG-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hilton Gold,
Castine is perhaps my favorite coastal town. It's less crowded than perennial favorites such as Camden, but still quintessentially coastal Maine.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 7:54 am
Original Poster

I first posted late last night and only read a few before going to bed.

Thanks to everyone!!

Not going to places like IHOP and Dairy Queen - have been many times at home, I want something more area-like.

My daughter doesn't like lobster - what's up with that?? You're in Maine!
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:24 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by hitherandyon
Believe it or not, I don't do lobster either. And it's not from overexposure in the area, I've never really cared for it.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I first posted late last night and only read a few before going to bed.

Thanks to everyone!!

Not going to places like IHOP and Dairy Queen - have been many times at home, I want something more area-like.

There's lobster. And then there is it was swimming in the sea this morning lobster.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:00 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
This will probably get moved to the New England thread even though Maine is technically not New England.
Umm.... what?
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This will probably get moved to the New England thread even though Maine is technically not New England.
Do tell us, which states constitute New England? Fire away!

hitherandyon, we've got some great threads which might be helpful for you. We have a bunch of threads in which FTers have asked for advice in helping to plan a trip to Maine.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-e...ne-summer.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-e...rtland-me.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-e...-thing-do.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-e...endations.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-e...end-maine.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-e...ion-maine.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-e...ip-advice.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-e...ine-coast.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-e...and-maine.html

The Maine Coast is pretty much divided between the southern coast (below Portland, sandy coast), Midcoast (less touristy), and Down East which is pretty much Bar Harbor/Acadia and east. I can't recommend enough your taking the time to drive to Acadia National Park and see the beauty that is the Maine coast — mountains and the ocean. Great hiking trails, great biking, horseback riding, sailing. You've got the touristy Bar Harbor plus the great national park that is Acadia. Bar Harbor has the touristy attraction Boothbay Harbor has but unlike Boothbay Harbor, you've got a treasure in Acadia right there.

Camden, Rockland, Castine....gorgeous.

Portland is a fun little city.

Memorial Day weekend is sort of what they call 'the shoulder season'. High season is July-Labor Day. I recommend whatever you do, that you do make reservations at whatever kind of lodging you like.

If you don't like lobster, it's ok. Tell your daughter that! There are other choices.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Analise
If you don't like lobster, it's ok. Tell your daughter that! There are other choices.
Stand your ground, young lady. I hate lobster too, the whole yucky ritual of it, and I get clams or fish and chips instead. But I always tell people who raise their eyebrows at me that if meat came to your table in the form of little five-inch-tall flash-fried cows whose heads and bellies you had to tear off and dismantle to get at a few bites of sirloin, I wouldn't eat meat, either.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 4:35 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by 6P&E
Castine is perhaps my favorite coastal town. It's less crowded than perennial favorites such as Camden, but still quintessentially coastal Maine.
I fondly remember my stay at the Pentagöet Inn in Castine.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 5:46 pm

Ummmmm actually it is...

New England is Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and Connecticut. The state that most people think is in New England but really is not is New York. Heck, I live in Vermont, and I still think of New York as New England
Old Feb 15, 2012, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by lo2e
... DO make reservations. Memorial Day weekend is VERY busy in Maine, with it being the rather unofficial start of the summer.

Portland is a great city and there are myriad dining and entertainment options in the downtown area, especially in the "Old Port" area ...
+100x on lodging plans & confirmed reservations, unless your plan B is for sleeping in your rental (minivan or folded rear seat for a flat surface ...) Sleeping bags can be picked up at LL Bean/outlet stores along with other camp essentials, LOL.

Tons of traffic going up/down the I-95 corridor along the coast, folks with campers & boats heading to their summer residence, and, of course, tourists. Without confirmed lodging plans, you might end up seeing "No Vacancy" signs everywhere and/or be prepared to pay for pricey holiday weekend rates. Toll expressways also translated into miles & miles of stop-n-go traffic and watch your speed and flow with the rest - state troopers out in full force with lasers to boost revenue.

If you are into fresh seafood including lobsters - Bayley's Lobster Pond at Pine Point, ME (Saco/Old Orchard Beach exit on the Maine Tpke is excellent for takeout/picnic with outdoor tables. Three Sons Lobster & Fish in Old Port, downtown Portland at the waterfront next to the ferry terminal is great, they will cook to order & pack it to go - they also have 2 or 3 tables outdoor for on the spot picnic dining (their prices are among the best in the area & loved their 2.5 - 3.5 lbs. soft shells in season - lobsters are said to be at its best in May) Equally excellent - jumbo pawns, sausages, mussels, clams, salmon, chowders and sweet corns, potatoe salads & garlic breads to top it off.

For something different, check out nearby - Que Huong Vietnamese Restaurant at 49 Main Street, Biddeford, ME for big bowls of Pho or beef noodles soup, Cha Gio or spring rolls and Ca Phe Sua Da or French/Vietnamese drip coffee.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WIRunner
There's lobster. And then there is it was swimming in the sea this morning lobster.
Don't I know it - fresh lobster is the best! That's okay, I've finally gotten her to try the clams and it's nice to see her eat fresh fish too.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 6:53 am
Original Poster

hitherandyon, we've got some great threads which might be helpful for you. We have a bunch of threads in which FTers have asked for advice in helping to plan a trip to Maine.

Analise - wow, this is fantastic, I have much reading to do and plans to be made for our trip.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Letitride3c
+100x on lodging plans & confirmed reservations, unless your plan B is for sleeping in your rental (minivan or folded rear seat for a flat surface ...) Sleeping bags can be picked up at LL Bean/outlet stores along with other camp essentials, LOL.

Tons of traffic going up/down the I-95 corridor along the coast, folks with campers & boats heading to their summer residence, and, of course, tourists. Without confirmed lodging plans, you might end up seeing "No Vacancy" signs everywhere and/or be prepared to pay for pricey holiday weekend rates. Toll expressways also translated into miles & miles of stop-n-go traffic and watch your speed and flow with the rest - state troopers out in full force with lasers to boost revenue.

If you are into fresh seafood including lobsters - Bayley's Lobster Pond at Pine Point, ME (Saco/Old Orchard Beach exit on the Maine Tpke is excellent for takeout/picnic with outdoor tables. Three Sons Lobster & Fish in Old Port, downtown Portland at the waterfront next to the ferry terminal is great, they will cook to order & pack it to go - they also have 2 or 3 tables outdoor for on the spot picnic dining (their prices are among the best in the area & loved their 2.5 - 3.5 lbs. soft shells in season - lobsters are said to be at its best in May) Equally excellent - jumbo pawns, sausages, mussels, clams, salmon, chowders and sweet corns, potatoe salads & garlic breads to top it off.

For something different, check out nearby - Que Huong Vietnamese Restaurant at 49 Main Street, Biddeford, ME for big bowls of Pho or beef noodles soup, Cha Gio or spring rolls and Ca Phe Sua Da or French/Vietnamese drip coffee.
Looks like we will get the map out and start scouting our trip to include where we want to stay. I wish it was easy as putting down some roots for a few days in one place and then going back and forth - but I don't think
that will work. We really want it to be a nomad trip - wandering around, staying where we find it interesting, moving on if we don't.

If we did stay in one place - any suggestions?

I'm beginning to see that Maine has so much to offer we need to this to be our first trip of many more.

I do love a good B&B - does anybody have any suggestions? I've been burned before with mildewy rooms and weird B&B keepers. One in San Diego comes to mind and it still gives me the shivers.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 7:39 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Looks like we will get the map out and start scouting our trip to include where we want to stay ... If we did stay in one place - any suggestions?

I'm beginning to see that Maine has so much to offer ... I do love a good B&B - does anybody have any suggestions? I've been burned before with mildewy rooms and weird B&B keepers.
LL Bean is open 24/7 for one's outdoor needs year-round, just sayin ... Okay, start checking out prices via hotwire & priceline for your dates of travel - Maine is a relatively "huge" area to cover - won't comment on the B&B's itself. But, even some of the top/highly rated 3 stars+ chain hotels have had issues with mold & mildewy smelling hallways and rooms in & around Portland, ME (which tend to have largest # of properties across the price tiers, availabilities & competitive pricing) Some of them closed for the winter months and operated on a seasonal basis, so I would checked out the comments carefully (I reviewed one of them on TA myself 2 summers ago).

For the busy & short summer months, restaurants & shops have longer hours - but for May, some of them might still be closed or on a limited schedule - good idea to call ahead & confirm (the Danny's near our hotel was 24/7 with the $2-$4-$6-$8 specials then ...)

If you stay a bit further north closer to Freeport, you can do some of the places on a day trip, still lots of driving & traffic on the Turnpike. Have fun planning it.

Last edited by Letitride3c; Feb 16, 2012 at 8:54 am
Old Feb 16, 2012, 8:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Analise - wow, this is fantastic, I have much reading to do and plans to be made for our trip.
Glad to help. Feel free to fire away any questions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.