Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Review: Mamma Marias in the North End.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2012, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Review: Mamma Marias in the North End.

My wife and I dined at this restaurant this past Saturday. We had an 8:15 reservation and arrived at about 7:45. My very initial impression wasn't a great one but that soon changed. When we walked in we checked in. I *think* I heard the manager say to the other gentleman working there "they will have to wait till 8:15". The manager turned to us and said please wait over there and pointed towards chairs past the coat rack/room. A group of four walked in behind us and it seemed they might be regulars. Their coats were taken immediately as we just sat there holding our coats.

Finally I just stood by the coat rack until someone came and took them for us. We were actually seated within 10 minutes of waiting. We sat at a nice corner table against the main window on the second floor. Side note: there is a bar up there they could have had us waited at which would have made me happy. Our waiter came over and handed us the wine list. As we are looking at it my wife goes "do we get menus?". I didn't even notice the fact we were missing them because I was trying to pick a nice bottle for us. The waiter came back and noticed we didn't have menus. Asked who sat us and brought us menus immediately. From this point on it was a great night.

Consumptions:
Wife started with Scallops which looked perfectly seared. She followed that up with Rabbit Pasta. She has tried rabbit once before and didn't like it. I was shocked that she would order it again but I am glad she did. I guess it's easy for her to not be afraid to order since she knows I will eat anything. I started with pasta filled with lobster and ended with the veal osso bucco. From looking at reviews, these seem to be their two main hits on the menu. Every dish was amazing.

For menu please click: http://mammamaria.com/pdf/MammaMaria-dinner.pdf

The waiter was always checking in but not intrusive. The restaurant can be a bit loud at times but that just shows everyone is having a good time. I love seeing a table of older folks enjoying themselves and laughing. We always look at each other and say we hope that is us one day.

If you want a great meal that isn't TOO expensive, I would highly suggest this place.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 6:02 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Thanks, DetailsIM, for the review. I've added this to the Master Thread under the Boston/Cambridge dining section.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I haven't been to Mamma Maria's in some time, but I've always found it to be an excellent option. Because of the layout of the restaurant -- several dining rooms, some smaller, some larger -- it's also an excellent option for a group dinner.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 8:59 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I see that they've redone their menu a little, but I remember having the lobster-stuffed ravioli there previously, and it was amazing. Very nice atmosphere in the restaurant as well.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 9:14 am

With so many good north end eateries it's hard to choose a favorite
Old Feb 16, 2012, 7:57 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
I can't stop going to Cantina Italiana. Don't let the gaudy neon sign fool you.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by bsaced
With so many good north end eateries it's hard to choose a favorite
No offense, but a statement like this isn't particularly helpful unless you actually list your favorites. The North End has as many bad restaurants as good ones, so one has to be careful!

Among my favorites are Mamma Maria, Prezza, and Neptune Oyster.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
I can't stop going to Cantina Italiana. Don't let the gaudy neon sign fool you.
That's my favorite too. Antipasti, pizza, Moretti drafts and a perfect hang on a summer afternoon. I'm so happy in there I can't tell you.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 9:48 am

Programs: All of the above
+1 for Neptune Oyster Bar especially on Monday nights hen they serve Pasta with Lobster.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.