Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

Flying out of BOS in the snow

Old Jan 20, 12, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

I'm on the 7:45 am flight to LAX tomorrow, it looks like it will still be snowing at that point. Any reason to think my flight will be delayed or cancelled as a result?

How good is snow management on 95 and 93 likely to be early in the morning on a Saturday while the snow is still falling? I know I need to leave earlier than usual, but I'm not sure how much earlier.
Old Jan 20, 12, 2:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It doesn't look like there will be a lot of snow. I've travelled through BOS in much heavier snow storms. Unless the weather forecast changes drastically, you should be fine.
Old Jan 20, 12, 3:49 pm

Shouldn't have a problem. The only difficulties I've ever experienced from snow at BOS are from planes that couldn't arrive for whatever reason; never had anything that wasn't allowed to take off (although it does happen in heavy weather). That early in the morning, assuming the de-icers are working, you'll be fine.
Old Jan 20, 12, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by dagaetch View Post
That early in the morning, assuming the de-icers are working, you'll be fine.
Hopefully, but the weather at LGA is about the same as BOS and a lot of the morning LGA flights have been cancelled.

Does anyone in this New England forum have input on the roads in the morning? That's the main reason the thread is here instead of in an airline forum.
Old Jan 20, 12, 5:17 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
The roads should not be that much of a problem, the storm is not supposed to be dropping snow at a blizzard rate (most areas are four to eight inches over 13 hours). That and the crews have not been out for storm after storm, so they are dying for some overtime (and in this area to stop having to pick up fallen trees according to one interview).

Go to google and map out the route in the morning and check the traffic and base your departure on that. If it's all yellow and red better get going, if not you can take your time.

Of course, it only takes one moron in an SUV who thinks they can still drive 85 mph so spin around a few times and cause issues, you can't really plan for that.

At 5 am there's only a 20% chance of snow, so you will probably be at the airport before anything really starts falling.

Assuming the airline flies the plane into Boston, you probably won't have any problems.
Old Jan 21, 12, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Sitting in C right now about to board, I'm watching planes depart all over the place. It is coming down pretty good, though.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: