Wiki Posts
Search

Hiding in boston for a couple of hours

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2013, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
Hiding in boston for a couple of hours

I have to give a couple of people a ride into Boston later this week. I am not going to the event they are going to, but as this is only going to be about 3 hours I am not going to drive home and back. I am quite familiar with Boston and don't have any urge to go shopping or see any sights, this will be in the evening, and Dinner will already have been eaten, so don't need to find a restaurant.

So where is a good, comfortable, quiet place to hide out for a few hours on a Wednesday evening? What I really need is an airport lounge, but I be flying. I will be right downtown, I could conceivably hang out in the car in the garage, but prefer something a little better than that.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 1:05 pm

Hmm...what part of downtown will you be in? I'd think that most of the hotels would have comfortable lobbies, and so long as you're dressed reasonably they wouldn't mind you sitting there for some time. Or there's a lot of bars where you could nurse a drink for a few hours; on a Wednesday night after 7pm, they aren't too crazy in my experience.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Where exactly in town are you going to be?
Old Sep 30, 2013, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Sorry, right downtown. I will probably park at either Pi Alley if traffic isn't too crazy, or under the common if it is. I have no problem finding my way, can take the T anywhere that will get me. Part of me is thinking heading over the airport or South Station, but I was hoping for a more comfortable and quiet place.

I was thinking about the hotel lobby thing, but I am pretty nervous about hanging out in a hotel where I wasn't staying. Can you do that sort of thing? Maybe a quiet cafe that no one knows about.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cloudship
I was thinking about the hotel lobby thing, but I am pretty nervous about hanging out in a hotel where I wasn't staying. Can you do that sort of thing? Maybe a quiet cafe that no one knows about.
You absolutely can do that. Or you can just go to a Starbucks, where you can use their free wifi, whether or not you buy anything. I think a hotel lobby or Starbucks probably are your best bets.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 1:07 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
The Starbucks on Boylston; park on Boylston and hang in the lobby of the Westin (which I definitely can vouch for); the main Boston Public Library is open until 9 pm, and has some civilized quiet places; you have to buy a drink in the lobby of the Copley Marriott, and it might be a little too bustling; I often hang until 10 pm at the Barnes & Noble on the Huntington Ave. side of the Pru mall, where you can be transported to another world, and they have a little cafe, from which you can take drink and food to anyplace there are chairs (where I will always remember that I was on 4/15, when I couldn't get back home on the other side of the marathon -- OK, a digression, but it's that conducive to hanging); the lobbies of the Parker House and the Park and Copley Plazas aren't really conducive. Oh - you're not looking for interesting, but the lobby of the Liberty Hotel - the old city jail on Charles Circle - is surprisingly tastefully done and interesting - complete with modified catwalks. Do I hang out too much?

This really would be a good one for the TripAdvisor forum, too.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum...achusetts.html

[I have no connection with TA, except to participate there sometimes, too.]

ETA: The dining area in the middle of the Pru food court (park on Boylston). The chairs are kind of comfortable, and nobody will give a hoot that you're there. And I'd just like to add that the Barnes & Noble has free wifi, as does the library.

Last edited by Firewind; Oct 1, 2013 at 1:28 am
Old Oct 1, 2013, 5:38 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Pru Food court in the evening/night is pretty deserted, and it might be cleared out before OP is done with his chillin'. Same with B&N. I liked all the other suggestions.

Me? I'd drive over to Castle Island and read in my car or sit on a bench and watch the planes and boats go by.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 6:52 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Pru Food court in the evening/night is pretty deserted, and it might be cleared out before OP is done with his chillin'. Same with B&N. I liked all the other suggestions.

Me? I'd drive over to Castle Island and read in my car or sit on a bench and watch the planes and boats go by.
B&N closes at 10 and the food court restaurants are open until 10, now.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Firewind
the main Boston Public Library is open until 9 pm
Only M-Th. The courtyard in the old building is one of my favorite spots in the City of Boston (the seating is not the most comfortable, but it's remarkably peaceful). Is it open at night?

One could also go to the Isabella Stewart Gardner museum, which is open til 9pm on Thursdays. There's a $15 admission fee, which is well worth it IMHO.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by Blumie
Only M-Th. The courtyard in the old building is one of my favorite spots in the City of Boston (the seating is not the most comfortable, but it's remarkably peaceful). Is it open at night?
+! The courtyard is open as long as the library is. I think much of it gets too dark for reading, though, as the lighting is more decorative than for reading. Right you are re it closing at 5 on Fri., Sat. and Sun. Forgot about that.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

+! The courtyard is open as long as the library is. I think much of it gets too dark for reading, though, as the lighting is more decorative than for reading. Right you are re it closing at 5 on Fri., Sat. and Sun. Forgot about that.
didn't think about that one. I just usually assume you cant find a place to sit in the library. every time I have been there it was a zoo.

I might take a wander over to Faniuel and then head back and sit down at the Parker, if they allow that sort of thing. I have cut through there many a time when I was working right down the street, but never actually spend any time in there. Maybe time I did.

Or maybe I just Nerd up and go hang out at a bar and drink sodas all night.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cloudship
didn't think about that one. I just usually assume you cant find a place to sit in the library. every time I have been there it was a zoo.

I might take a wander over to Faniuel and then head back and sit down at the Parker, if they allow that sort of thing. I have cut through there many a time when I was working right down the street, but never actually spend any time in there. Maybe time I did.

Or maybe I just Nerd up and go hang out at a bar and drink sodas all night.
How ironic that you might head to Faneuil Hall because the library might be too much of a zoo!
Old Oct 1, 2013, 1:38 pm

I would consider going to the Westin Waterfront. Plenty of free parking on D street (by the back entrance) and there is a nice, large lobby with hotel bar (and a separate Irish pub restaurant).
Old Oct 1, 2013, 2:20 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
B&N closes at 10 and the food court restaurants are open until 10, now.
Did not know that.

It's still pretty deserted in that food court any time after 7PM And not the most comfortable of seating
Old Oct 1, 2013, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
There's also the movie theatre on Tremont off the Boston Common. Catch a show.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.