Reload this Page >

Seafood Restaurant in Boston

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 31, 2023, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: reft
Boston Area Seafood Restaurants mentioned in this thread.

Name, Location [1], Notes.

Alive and Kicking Lobsters, Cambridge
Atlantic Fish Co, Back Bay
B&G Oyster, South End
Barking Crab, Waterfront
Belle Island, Winthrop
Daily Catch, North End
Farnhams, Essex, Seasonal Clam Shack
Giacomo's, North End, Cash Only; Small restaurant, will be a wait when busy
Island Creek Oyster Bar, Kenmore Square
James Hook, Waterfront
Legal Sea Foods, numerous locations, Lots of opinions in this thread. Locations include Logan Airport.
Lukes Lobsters, Back Bay and Downtown Crossing
Moeca, Cambridge
Neptune Oyster Bar, North End, No reservations but will take your cell phone number and let you wander.
No Name, CLOSED
Ostra, Back Bay, review w/pictures and menu here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-...ter-house.html
Pescador, Kenmore Square
Pier 6, Charlestown
Row 34, Waterfront, other locations Burlington & Portsmouth, NH
Saltie Girl, Back Bay, also Los Angeles and London
Sullivan's Castle Island, Castle Island, Also TD Garden
Union Oyster House, Downtown, discussed here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-...ter-house.html
Waypoint, Cambridge
Woodmans, Essex
Yankee Lobster, Seaport District

About the list above
1) List is an index updated through end of March 2023 / post 35 of Boston area Seafood restaurants discussed in this thread. Knowing the name is here should help with searching for more information.
2) Legal Sea Foods has many locations and many opinions expressed already.
3) Probably best use of the notes field are facts such as cost, type of restaurant (shack or sit down or higher end) payment (if cash-only) and if reservations are available. Reviews and opinions are probably best left for posts below unless there is a consensus or lack thereof supported by multiple reviews. (eg: Legal)

This wiki is crowd-sourced, feel free to edit or add to it if you have the post count to do so.

Other FT Threads that included discussions on Boston Area Seafood:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-...l-newbies.html

Notes:

IB BBCode does not implement tables or fixed length fonts w/pre tag so used for comma formatting until which time it can be changed.

[1] Location is Boston Neighborhood, else city in Massachusetts if not in Boston. In any event, Google, Yelp, Opentable and/or Resy will find the address. "Boston Area" is considered very loosely. Neighborhood right or wrong is from the post here on FT or the restaurant's web site or a best guess.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2011, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLAT, SPG GOLD

Looking for a fun seafood restaurant with good food not too far from Ritz Carlton Boston Common for dinner on a Wednesday night. Thanks!
Old Aug 8, 2011, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I haven't been myself, but there's lots of excitement lately about Island Creek Oyster Bar, a relatively new place in Kenmore Sq., a very easy ride on the subway, or a quick cab ride, from the Ritz. More casual, but also quite good, is Neptune Oyster Bar, in the North End, also easily reached by subway or cab from the Ritz. Island Creek takes reservations. Neptune does not, and there's often a long line. I also really like B&G Oyster Bar, in the South End, again very close to the Ritz.

Some will tell you to go to Legal Sea Foods, a storied Boston-area chain that has a location walking distance from the Ritz. Avoid it, IMHO. It ranges from fair to ok, but you certainly can do a lot better.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 8:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Another good option I second Blumie on walking over to B&G Oyster in the south end. Can get crowded and loud but excellent food and a nice wine list.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Third for B&G. I've had Island Creek stuff at catered events. They're very good and I'll bet it's a good meal at the restaurant, but can't vouch personally. I hope to change that sometime soon.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 6:54 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
I would recommend Island Creek. It's a nice room, the staff are reasonably friendly and very knowledgeable. However, the oysters are the best thing on the menu imo. The variety is excellent.

tb
Old Sep 13, 2011, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLAT, SPG GOLD
Thanks for the recommendations! We ended up going to B&G. We were there in mid-August and ate outside on their patio which we enjoyed. The food was great and it was a fun atmosphere with really good service. The menu is not huge, but many good things on it. Oysters were fantastic! Really appreciate your recommendations because we never would have ended up there otherwise.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 7:30 am

I like Atlantic Fish co in back bay a lot.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 5:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver, A3 Gold, EK Gold, HH Gold, Sixt Dmd
Originally Posted by bsaced
I like Atlantic Fish co in back bay a lot.
I second that. Atlantic Fish is amazing food and reasonably priced, with a location that you could walk to from the Ritz (or take the Green Line a couple stops if you're in a rush).
Old Mar 16, 2012, 7:41 pm

I love the No Name on the Fish Pier.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:59 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
I'm going this weekend to Boston and staying at the IC. Are the restaurants mentioned above excellent and close to the IC also? I need some tasty seafood
Old Apr 3, 2012, 6:13 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
IC is close to the waterfront, Faneuil Hall, and the North End. The other restaurants were more in Back Bay and Copley Square.

Tons of great places in the North End for seafood, mostly Italian style. Neptune Oyster (good luck getting in) might be the best choice (not Italian style)
Old Apr 3, 2012, 6:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat+++
Giacomo's in the North End is great seafood:
http://giacomosblog-boston.blogspot.com/

Cash only, small and you will have to wait on a busy night.

Cheers.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 1:24 pm

Programs: American Airlines, Continental, United, Southwest, BA, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors, Hyatt
Originally Posted by jason8612
I'm going this weekend to Boston and staying at the IC. Are the restaurants mentioned above excellent and close to the IC also? I need some tasty seafood
If you follow the harbor walk from the IC to behind the Courthouse and all the way down Northern Avenue you will come to Yankee Lobster. They have really good, relatively inexpensive seafood. There is also Legal Seafoods (mixed response from people on FT) and also Legal Test Kitchen.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by jason8612
Count me firmly in the Legal-Sea-Foods-sucks camp. Neptune Oyster is the best option near the IC. Yes, there will be a wait, but you can give them your cell number and walk around the North End while you're waiting (although if you're solo, you might snag a seat at the bar without a wait).
Old Apr 4, 2012, 2:23 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by Blumie
Count me firmly in the Legal-Sea-Foods-sucks camp. Neptune Oyster is the best option near the IC. Yes, there will be a wait, but you can give them your cell number and walk around the North End while you're waiting (although if you're solo, you might snag a seat at the bar without a wait).
Legal is Legal, but have you been to Legal's Harborside or the Test Kitchen (both on the S. Boston waterfront)?

They are quite different from the traditional Legal Seafoods and need to be considered as such.

Also in the North End is Daily Catch. Excellent Italian style seafood, also a very small space with a wait.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.