Wiki Posts
Search

Maine to New Brunswick

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2011, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, American
Maine to New Brunswick

We're looking for the best route from Freeport/ Portland to St. John, New Brunswick.

I know that i need to follow I95 to the Bangor area. There, I can take state highway 9 east to NB and eventually arrive in St. John. This is a 6.5 hour trip.

Or, I can continue on 95 north to Canadian highway 2, eventually arriving in St John after 8.75 hours.

While the choice seems to be obvious, the stretch of route 9 I'd be taking appears to be rather desolate.

Can anyone tell me if this road is mountainous? Are there many sharp turns or any cliff driving? Also, is there anything to see or anywhere to dine along the way?

Thanks.

John
Chicago
Old Jul 8, 2011, 6:05 am

9 is a decent road. Mostly rolling hills east of Bangor, nothing seriously alpine. If you're looking for a spot to stop for coffee en route, I find St Stephen (NB side of the border) to be more appealing than Calais. (Though maybe because my Former Beloved and then-traveling companion was born in Calais, France and could not abide the pronunciation of Calais, Maine.)
Old Jul 8, 2011, 11:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Sounds like a great trip, johnmcq. It will be beautiful. Let us know how it goes. That's a drive we've never done.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 11:51 am

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
Route #9 aka "The Airline" from BGR to Washington County is just rolling hills, as pointed out upthread.

There is the Airline Cafe in Beddington. It has a State of Maine Rest Stop.
http://www.americanpieways.com/ameri...line-snack-bar

On The Airline, you may see bears or moose. My mom hit a moose a few years ago.

Your GPS may call parts of The Airline "Airline Road" or "Tony Tammaro Highway."

For more on The Airline http://www.mainething.com/alexander/...NE%20ROAD.html

Enjoy NB!
Old Jul 8, 2011, 11:51 am

The drive between Bangor & Calais/St. Stephen is a very desolate & boring ride, unless you like looking at miles of potato & blueberry fields. There may be an occasional gas station or small stop for somewhat passable food. My best advice is also to wait until you get into St Stephens or better yet St Andrews - which is a nice seaside town off of Route 1

www.standrewsnb.ca/
Old Jul 8, 2011, 12:14 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
BTW, Saint John, NB is "Saint John" not "St. John."

(IDK why, tho)

Consider the scenic route; Drive through Maine to Campobello Island, NB. Take the ferry to Deer Isle (NB), drive across Deer another ferry to mainland NB. (or simply take the ferry from Easport)

The Deer Isle-Campobello and Deer Isle-Easport ferry is privately operated, seasonal.
http://www.deerisland.nb.ca/ferries.htm

The ferry to/from Deer Isle to Letete, NB is a year-round Provincial Ferry.

Letete to Saint John is about an hour drive.

Be warned of the Famous Fundy Fog and note NB observes Atlantic Time.

Ferry from Campobello to Deer July 4, 2010

Ferry between Letete to Deer, circa Sept or Oct 2005

Ferry between Letete to Deer, circa Sept or Oct 2005

If you do go the Calais route, there is a NEXUS lane on the new bridge.

Hope this helps!
Old Jul 9, 2011, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by robertwcook16
The drive between Bangor & Calais/St. Stephen is a very desolate & boring ride, unless you like looking at miles of potato & blueberry fields. There may be an occasional gas station or small stop for somewhat passable food. My best advice is also to wait until you get into St Stephens or better yet St Andrews - which is a nice seaside town off of Route 1

www.standrewsnb.ca/
Yep, taken that trip many times. Our cell phones never worked either.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
The drive sounds like something I really want to do. Especially now with the weather in Texas absolutely awful. Thanks for the information!
Old Jul 14, 2011, 12:58 pm
B1

Originally Posted by RoyalFlush
BTW, Saint John, NB is "Saint John" not "St. John."

(IDK why, tho)
Whatever the original reason, it helps avoid confusion with St. John's NL. I was in the airport at St. John's where they were dealing with a customer whose travel agent had promised her she was going to Saint John. The confusion between Sydney Nova Scotia and Australia by travel agents has been a news item. Those two are spelled the same. I'd drive on I-95 and the Trans-Canada - nicer territory, especially along the river in Canada,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.