Reload this Page >

chances of skiing mid-April?

Old Jan 12, 2011, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver

Just wondering if I'm likely to find much snow mid-April in VT (or elsewhere in New England)?

Reading various ski forums it seems that there's a fighting chance there will be snow (and it would be an award booking so I could always cancel at the last moment) but thoughts welcome.

Ideally i'd like a resort where there's accommodation on the slopes as opposed to having to drive a distance each day.

TIA

Tony
Old Jan 12, 2011, 3:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Not in New England, but you might be able to ski on Whiteface Mountain in the Adirondacks.

Last edited by Analise; Jan 12, 2011 at 3:43 pm
Old Jan 12, 2011, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Do you like hiking? Tuckerman Ravine is an awesome, awesome hike in April with very challenging skiing. No lifts, as it's the backside of MT. Washington. You'll be lucky to get in two runs, but it's well worth it.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 9:44 pm

Jay usually putters out in April, though by mid April it could be down to just a few runs. Skiing yes, but if you can make it just a month earlier, it will be night and day more snow up north.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Thanks all.

Unfortunately the dates are fixed. What I do with them, however, is another matter...
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:11 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Wildcat Mountain, near Mt. Washington that tkey75 mentioned, might have a better chance of still being open because of its elevation than some of the others mountains in the area. So perhaps you could plan to go to Wildcat, with having Mt. Washington as a backup plan.

Last winter was a bit of a fluke in that most (if not all) mountains were completely closed by about mid-April if I remember correctly. This is definitely not the norm.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Analise
Not in New England, but you might be able to ski on Whiteface Mountain in the Adirondacks.
Interesting - Whiteface says their expected closing date is April 10th. Killington, for example, says May 1st.

I wonder how that matches with reality.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by nerd
Killington, for example, says May 1st... I wonder how that matches with reality.
I wonder what you'd call "skiable." Both Stowe and Killington hang on for as long as they can in April, but there's a lot of mud and rocks possible from March onwards.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 3:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nerd
Interesting - Whiteface says their expected closing date is April 10th. Killington, for example, says May 1st.

I wonder how that matches with reality.
My cousin is on Whiteface's ski patrol and last year, he was skiing until the end of April. My guess is that the close date is flexible. I will ask him about their website as I didn't look at it.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 3:21 pm

Killington is generally open well into April. They have made it to May in the past, though they closed for the season in late April last year, supposedly with enough snow left to keep operating. I didn't see it so I can't say, but they have been very aggressive in trying to open early and close late in the past (I remember riding in trailers pulled by 4x4's to get to the lowest open lift on opening day about 15 years ago).

There will probably be a few ski areas open in this part of the country in April, but you shouldn't expect anything like the conditions you would get in the middle of the winter. In Utah spring skiing means soft snow and tons of trails to choose from. In the eastern US it would have to be an exceptional season for any mountain to have more than a handful of runs open by the middle of April.

That said, the skiing in New England is great right now
Old Feb 17, 2011, 8:18 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by BearX220
I wonder what you'd call "skiable." Both Stowe and Killington hang on for as long as they can in April, but there's a lot of mud and rocks possible from March onwards.
Yeah, I made that mistake years ago at Killington. It's open, but at the bases you're generally skiing in slush and mud to get to the lifts. They try to throw some snow down, but it's generally Spring conditions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.