Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Snow sport locations in Vermont

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2009, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Snow sport locations in Vermont

Some friends and I were considering traveling up to Vermont over President's Day weekend. The kind of snow sports we were most interested in would be snowshoeing and cross-country skiing (if it matters, we'd be renting the equipment).

We would also prefer to rent a home for the weekend rather then stay at an inn or hotel.

We checked VRBO.com for the area around Stowe, VT, but the prices seemed a bit high in that area.

Perhaps there is a less popular area where the home rentals would be a bit lower...? Suggestions?

Thank you!
Old Dec 17, 2009, 8:50 pm

Programs: Delta PM, United Premier Executive, AirTran Elite, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold VIP, Her
Stowe Alternative

Smugglers' Notch is a close alternative to Stowe. You'll have access to activities in the Stowe area via a short drive and the Smugglers' Notch area has everything on a lesser scale than Stowe.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 2:13 pm

Ericgorr, check out Catamount Outdoor Family Center (Williston, VT), which offers cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, and convenient access to trendy Burlington, home of the University of Vermont and great partying. http://www.catamountoutdoor.com/
Old Dec 29, 2009, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by Essex Dave
Ericgorr, check out Catamount Outdoor Family Center (Williston, VT), which offers cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, and convenient access to trendy Burlington, home of the University of Vermont and great partying. http://www.catamountoutdoor.com/
I was snowshoing there Christmas Day. I had an absolutely fantastic time.

I've also been cc skiing in Grafton, VT, probably the most charming town I've ever been to, and without a doubt the most Norman Rockwell-esque NE town there is. Also several hours further south than Stowe and very likely a bit cheaper (if you look just outside of Grafton) since there's no major mountain there. Grafton Ponds
Old Dec 30, 2009, 9:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you want lower prices, have you considered the Adirondacks? Lake Placid is a LOT cheaper and has every activity you'd want at a fraction of the cost of Vermont. Just a thought.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 11:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
There is some great information of cross country ski resorts on this site:
http://www.skivermont.com/crosscountry/destination/

This link has a clickable map so you explore locations by area.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 3:09 pm

Smile 1-2 Feet of Powder + Mild Temps = Great Skiing in Vermont

We're enjoying a "winter weather event" that will leave 1-2 feet of fresh powder on Vermont's alpine and nordic ski areas. C'mon up!
Old Jan 3, 2010, 6:51 am

26" of New Snow at BTV

Yikes! Local TV reports that Burlington International Airport has measured 26" of new powder since this storm started -- and it's still snowing!
Old Jan 3, 2010, 3:35 pm

Record Snowfall in South Burlington, VT

An all-time record of 31.8" and still snowing at Burlington International Airport!
Old Jan 8, 2010, 6:12 pm

Snowing Again in Vermont

It's snowing again in Essex, VT. Texture of flakes is similar to last week, when we received a record 33". Skiers rejoice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.