Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at DCA (pre 12/10)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2008, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Cars at DCA (pre 12/10)

**When returning cars to DCA, it's easier to take the exit from the George Washington Parkway. The car rental return exit will be just a few hundred feet on the left from the merge-lane. If instead you take the exit from Jefferson Davis-Route 1, then you will have to lap the airport once in order to reach the car rental exit. The layout is a little strange.**

I rented from the ES aisle at DCA (that's Reagan National in Washington D.C.) this weekend, and picked up the car Friday morning, at 9am. The selections were pretty sparse.

Here's the view from the Emerald Aisle:

As you can see, a Pontiac Vibe in the foreground, a couple PT Cruisers.

Second view of Emerald Aisle:

Chevy Aveo, Old version of Chevy Malibu, couple more PT Cruisers.

I walked over to the Executive Aisle, and they mainly had Chevy Impalas, Toyota Camrys, Chevy Malibus (old type). There was also one Dodge, but wasn't interested in it. There was also a Monte Carlo coupe, and a Pontiac G6.

I took a quick look at the National Specialty Aisle, and they had full size Durangos (which no one wanted), 1-2 Cadillac DTSes, and some other cars which I forget.

I was quite impressed by the Hertz Club Gold level. Pricier, but they had brand new Volvos, Lincolns, Mini-Coopers, Infinitis. Drool.

In summary, selection at DCA includes:

Emerald Aisle:
Chevy Equinox
Toyota Highlander
Pontiac Vibe
Chevy Aveo
PT Cruiser
Chevy Monte Carlo

Executive Selection
Mitsubishi Galant
2008 Chevy Malibu
Toyota RAV4
Jeep Commander
Saturn Vue
Impala LT
Impala SS
Toyota Camry
Pontiac G6
Dodge Charger
Jeep Liberty

Emerald Reserve Aisle
Cadillac DTS
Pontiac G8
Volvo V70
Dodge Durango
Volvo S60
Cadillac CTS
Cadillac SRX
Buick Enclave

Last edited by drzoidberg; May 31, 2009 at 7:25 pm
Old Oct 3, 2008, 10:58 am
Original Poster

12 noon on Friday is a bad time to get cars.

Executive Selection on the left foreground, Emerald Aisle across from me. Looks like a white Impala and white Kia SUV, a Dodge Avenger across the way in the EA, ugly Chevy Uplander, and some unknown red foreign minivan.

About 4 Red Impalas, 1 Impala SS, and a Mitsubishi Galant in the ES Aisle. Couple Kia SUVs too.

View of two Pontiacs on the regular Emerald Aisle- looks like a Torrent and a G6.

I was about to take the Impala SS (which I had on a previous rental, was a real blast to drive), when I spotted a Prius in the regular Emerald Aisle!

I passed their selection of luxury cars on the way out. Looked like a Buick Lucerne, Caddy DTS, Caddy CTS, Caddy SRX, Volvo S70 wagon. On the other side of the luxury selection was their premium selection- Pontiac G8, GMC Envoy/Buick Enclave, possibly a Dodge Charger SRT.

Here's my Prius!
Old Oct 3, 2008, 2:56 pm

Programs: National Elite. that is all...
Wow you went all out with the pics. I would feel very awkward taking pics of the aisles.
Old Oct 3, 2008, 8:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Originally Posted by thecourtside
Wow you went all out with the pics. I would feel very awkward taking pics of the aisles.
No kidding! I feel awkward enough just roaming the EA when I don't have a booking to scout cars.
Old Oct 4, 2008, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, they probably thought I was some sort of sketchy guy. Fortunately, I took them from the comfort of my car. hehe.
Old Oct 4, 2008, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

BTW, the Prius is amazing. I can't believe it's only a regular EA car.

Even if I drive like mad, I can't get lower than 50 mpg! With the AC on too.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

I dropped off the Prius today, and chatted with the attendant there. She said the Volvo V70 wagon, Chrysler 300, and Buick Lucerne are Premium. The Caddies, Nissan Armada (who rents those huge SUVs anymore?), and a Pontiac G8 are luxury.

That surprised me- a G8 as luxury?
Old Oct 5, 2008, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by drzoidberg
BTW, the Prius is amazing. I can't believe it's only a regular EA car.

Even if I drive like mad, I can't get lower than 50 mpg! With the AC on too.
lol..prius is like a $30 off coupon for the amount of gas you save.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

lol..prius is like a $30 off coupon for the amount of gas you save.
Definitely. I was surprised the Prius was in the regular EA too.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 7:22 pm

Definitely. I was surprised the Prius was in the regular EA too.
before I got my 'free unlimited upgrades' status aka Exec Elite.... I was surprised to find the Prius one time in the regular midsize section..hahaah
Old Dec 7, 2008, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Stopped by today to rent. Sunday is definitely a great day for car selection. The lot was fully stocked.

- Executive Selection

Finally! They have the redesigned Malibus.
- 1 Toyota Avalon
- Couple Mitsubishi Galants
- Impalas
- Camrys
- Pontiac G6
- no SUVs

Emerald Aisle
- Mitsubishi Galants
- a dozen Chevy HHRs
- 1 Toyota Yaris

I took a 2008 Malibu LT. I guess it had the 4-cylinder engine, which was surprisingly peppy. Probably didn't have the new 6-speed auto tranny, but I was quite impressed. Noise isolation features were very well done, fit and finish surprised me for an American car. I hope GM survives the economic crisis and keeps its good cars.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 1:03 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Emerald Aisle
- 1 Toyota Yaris
Now that's a stretch.....
Old Dec 7, 2008, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tuneman1984
Now that's a stretch.....
Eh? It's an economy size car, I wouldn't expect it to be on the ES aisle.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 1:47 pm

Programs: National ES
Their consistently poor selection in EA and ES is why I now reserve economy class and pick out any car I want in DCA. They don't seem to care what they park in the aisles and don't seem to care that I arrive at the gate in a car 3 classes above what I reserved.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 4:27 pm

Eh? It's an economy size car, I wouldn't expect it to be on the ES aisle.
Yeah, I meant it was a stretch for them to be putting an economy car on the Emerald Aisle, where people have reserved a midsize.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.