Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at ORF (Norfolk, VA)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2008, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton HHonors Triple Diamond Executive, Delta Skymiles Titanium Medallion, National Exec Diamond El
Cars at ORF (Norfolk, VA)

ORF Premium choices?

Last edited by HHonorsJunkie06; Jun 29, 2008 at 9:15 pm
Old Jul 1, 2008, 9:50 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond
ORF is not a big location and there is no separate Emerald Aisle, twice I have rented there one time I got a Avalon and other time I got an 300 M but typically when I ask is there any other choice I usually get this is the only one available.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 9:28 am

Programs: DL Gold; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold
Have you rented here yet?

I will be renting here next month for a wedding and wondered if it was worth it to spurge for premium over the fullsive. I would really like to get my hands on a G8 if possible.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton HHonors Triple Diamond Executive, Delta Skymiles Titanium Medallion, National Exec Diamond El
Not yet. I'll let you know what I end up getting. A G8 would be great.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 2:44 pm

Programs: DL Gold; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold
Has anyone rented from ORF recently? Just wanted to know whether the premium reserved was worth the upgrade cost over the fullsive.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 9:02 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
National experience at ORF?

An upcoming trip will take me to ORF for 4 days. Having shucked a long time relationship with National a few years back (a couple of really dismal experiences) and chosen to dance with Thrifty (not a very good dancer, but only occasional minor missteps) since, I was not much thrilled with the "best deal" available from them for this trip.

Just shooting dice, I clicked on Priceline (always a bit of a crap shoot), bid low on a midsize and "won" a car from National. With a 630PM arrival in a smaller market, I'm wondering what's likely to be in the stable and saddled, or as occasionally the case, will I be offered "Old Blue", the "Station Hack" parked, dusty and tired, way down at the end of the last row, reserved for bargain hunters and late comers.

Looking for opinions/anecdotes of experienced National ORFers, especially any who may have been offered a car and after the offer asked about upgrades, price and type? I've heard rumors of $4 a day upgrades, but always expect little and tread lightly when entrusted to the tender mercy of national handling a PL reservations. At one time, National was almost entirely GM products. Is this still true?
Old Aug 18, 2010, 7:23 pm

I counted up my totals and I've had 10 ORF rentals so far this year. I'm Emerald Exec and rent full size or premiums. Your experience will probably differ from mine, but I think you'll be okay.

ORF is a small location. Cars are kept in the attached parking garage. There are probably around 40-50 slots for National. The main desk is in the terminal (Emerald desk is in the garage with the cars, but N/A for you). The keys are kept at the desks. I don't know how they decide which desk to keep specific keys at, but they've had to go to the other to get them for me in the past. They generally give me a choice of the 4-5 cars available in my class. I would assume it will be similar at the main desk, so you'll be choosing somewhat blind.

Overall I've been happy with the cars I've driven. I don't think they have any absolute junk. The mix is pretty good. You don't see rows of Impalas like most places. Renting full size or premiums, I've driven 4 Enclaves, and 1 each of Lacrosse, Taurus Limited, Escape Limited, 300 Touring, MKZ, and Impala. I've seen someone get a Towncar with a full size reservation. I didn't see a lot of smaller cars in the garage so you may be able to score a free/cheap upgrade even with the priceline reservation.

Be aware that the return is a little weird. The drop off lot is across the street from the terminal. Turn in is slow since they have 1 person working National, Enterprise, and Alamo. If you drop off after 8pm, no one is there. You have to leave the keys in the drop box. There is no shuttle, so you have to haul your stuff a pretty good distance to get back to the terminal. Plan to build in some extra time.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 7:40 pm

Programs: Global Entry, UA, AA, BA, DL, Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Cambria
Be aware that the return is a little weird. The drop off lot is across the street from the terminal. Turn in is slow since they have 1 person working National, Enterprise, and Alamo. If you drop off after 8pm, no one is there. You have to leave the keys in the drop box. There is no shuttle, so you have to haul your stuff a pretty good distance to get back to the terminal. Plan to build in some extra time.
Rented a car there about 3 weeks ago and arrived about 7pm on a Friday evening. Plenty of cars in the garage for all the rental agencies. Agree with the "weird" characterization for the return. Carefully watch for the Rental Return signs as you enter the airport. It is a good distance to walk so allow plenty of time for your return. When I returned my car on a Tuesday afternoon (about 5pm) there were two people working the returns with the portable wireless terminals.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Barcky
Carefully watch for the Rental Return signs as you enter the airport.
Agree that it is easy to miss the return if you aren't looking closely. Both my Garmin Nuvi and AT&T cell phone GPS go directly to the return lot if you choose National off the stored locations. Probably the same for other units as well. They'll route you through the back entrance by the GA/FBO terminals which avoids a number of lights and actually makes it quicker to get into the airport than if you use the marked route from the highway.
Old May 2, 2012, 8:39 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
any recent reports from ORF?
Old Jul 8, 2013, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by mrredskin
any recent reports from ORF?
Bump... any recent (2013) reports for ORF?
Old Jul 9, 2014, 6:19 pm

Programs: National executive elite, Marriott gold, Hilton diamond, swa cp, DL DM
huge turn around for Orf

This location has gotten so much better in the last two years. EE on a pcar reservation had the option of a BMW 238 x drive, x3, 15' suburban Lt or an infini. They still run out of cars fast as they all share the same level in the garage. No emerald aisle but customer service was good. If they could get cars ready when you have the time and flight on the reservation it would be perfect.
Old May 20, 2016, 12:13 am

Programs: BW Platinum Elite, Hilton HHonors Gold, Hertz #1 Club Gold, National Car Exec, Delta AmEx Platinum,
Any recent reports?

Haven't been into ORF for a couple years. No EA/ES last time in, and can't ever recall being given choices or upgrades from Midsize that was reserved... despite Exec.

Any recent insight?
Old May 28, 2016, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by jclong
Any recent reports?

Haven't been into ORF for a couple years. No EA/ES last time in, and can't ever recall being given choices or upgrades from Midsize that was reserved... despite Exec.

Any recent insight?
Last time I rented a Luxury Car from ORF, I ended up with a Suburban.
Old Jul 4, 2020, 9:51 pm

Programs: BW Platinum Elite, Hilton HHonors Gold, Hertz #1 Club Gold, National Car Exec, Delta AmEx Platinum,
Four years since I've been into ORF (as cross-referred by my post two back).

Seems like not a lot of intel into here for a while.

Anybody home?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.