Search

Cars at SJU (San Juan, Puerto Rico)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2008, 2:33 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Cars at SJU (San Juan, Puerto Rico)

Mrs. dstan and I are planning a long weekend in PR to do some diving. I was wondering if anyone has rented at SJU recently and if there's anything special to know about picking up, etc.? I understand there's no Emerald Aisle there, but it appears there is supposed to be an EC Counter position? Where is the rental car lot in relation to the terminal?

A search turned up only a couple very old threads, the most relevant from 2003, which talks about having cars ready to go straight off the bus for EA members:

Renting a car in SJU

I'd appreciate any insights folks might have.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I went to the rental lot via taxi from the city and so can't report fully typical pickup routines. I went inside and they recognized I was Ex Select and so directed outside where they had a preprinted contract and preassigned car. That day in Feb. '08 it was all Camry and smaller. Bus ride back to terminal is very short. The lot is so small that the idea of Club Counter is simply foolish - one derives no benefit.

Given driving & parking conditions I wouldn't rent a bigger car than needed to suit your party and luggage.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Great, thanks a lot for the info!
Old May 27, 2008, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Imperial or metric on the dashboard?

OK, here's a random question that I'm almost certainly overthinking - I've read that PR uses km for road markings but mph for speed limit signs. So, when printing out my GoogleMaps, should I use metric or Imperial?

I ask because some newer cars only have one scale on the speedometer that is switchable, rather than showing both mph and km/h on two different scales (not that I can't do the math, but...) I assume the odometer be switchable? We've reserved a Fullsize, which I think is going to be the Camry.
Old May 27, 2008, 9:40 pm

re: Imperial or metric on the dashboard?

- thought 'Imperial' was measured by furlongs.

If you're that concerned, better print out copies of each -- or pick up a real map beforehand from AAA or a decent bookstore.
Once you're in the car, leave the mi/km selector alone -- you'll likely find it's already set correctly, from the LAST renter.

Finally, worry less about the pickup arrangements, and *more* about the kamakazi drivers you'll find on the roads -- NYC hacks have nothing on those whackjobs
Old May 28, 2008, 3:12 pm
Suspended

any good discount codes for PR? most of the coupons i've run into (entertainment book) don't work for PR. any ideas? thx.
Old May 28, 2008, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
any good discount codes for PR? most of the coupons i've run into (entertainment book) don't work for PR. any ideas? thx.
Only one I've gotten to work is the $15 off for 3-day weekend coupon from the Natl website: ND35
Old Jun 10, 2008, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by squawk7500
If you're that concerned, better print out copies of each -- or pick up a real map beforehand from AAA or a decent bookstore.
Once you're in the car, leave the mi/km selector alone -- you'll likely find it's already set correctly, from the LAST renter.
Thanks for your extremely helpful response, from which I gather you have no clue what the answer is.

To provide some information that may actually be useful to others in the future, the answer is that our Jeep Patriot came in standard US configuration, with MPH on the major scale, KM/H on the minor scale, and the odometer reading Miles. Thus, one should print out online directions denominated in miles.

Stores and hotels often give directions to a specific km marker, but it's still fine navigating based on miles, then just looking for the markers when you get close.

Oh, and we did have a real map, which was not at all helpful on the small roads on which we traveled. Google Maps, on the other hand, was great, as I could print out not only the directions, but also expansions of local areas.

Finally, worry less about the pickup arrangements, and *more* about the kamakazi drivers you'll find on the roads -- NYC hacks have nothing on those whackjobs
I found driving in PR to be quite fun. In general, we found that people obeyed the speed limits, since you'd have to be a total maniac to drive any faster than that on most roads. Indeed, it was hard to travel at the limit on the Autopista during the day due to traffic. The left lane on the highway is certainly not reserved for passing, but that's true in many places. Exits on smaller roads are often marked with only a single sign a few hundred feet before the turn, and do not always have a second sign right at the turnoff. Narrow single-lane roads are common in rural areas, although the shoulders are usually marked reasonably well. Inspection enforcement appears to be a bit lax as there were a significant number of cars on the highway with a single headlight, poorly aimed (blinding) headlights, and/or one or no tail lights. Police travel with lights flashing at all times during the night, so don't get excited when one shows up behind you. Note that all road signs are in Spanish, so a knowledge of the cardinal directions (norte, sur, este, oeste) is helpful.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 6:30 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Any recent National rental experiences at SJU San Juan?

I'm assuming that there is not an Executive aisle, only pre-assigned.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Hey Willie, will give you the scoop SJU National Rentals on the next DO!

Anyway, I rent there so often that is almost second home to me, I think I've used all the cars there at least 2 times already.

There is no aisle, "pick your own car" service, it is pre-assigned. Typically once I land as I'm getting out of the plane I call 787 791 1805 and advise them of my arrival (you probably will have check luggage, if so, do it once you get them) tell them you are emerald or executive and that should do it. Once you board the shuttle advise your name and status to the driver and he will radio in that he has picked you up. Most of the time you will be dropped right by the car and a National Rep will be waiting for you to sign the documents. You will be asked where you are staying and what phone # to use for contact purpose only.

The main reason why I call National is that unfortunately, they only have 2 shuttles going, one for departure, the other arrival, and I want to speed things up. The bigger company's, Hertz, Avis, have several. I've actually witnessed 4 Hertz shuttles that passed me while I waited for the National/Alamo bus.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by arollins
There is no aisle, "pick your own car" service, it is pre-assigned.
thanks brother, appreciate the tip on calling also^
Old Nov 29, 2010, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by arollins
Most of the time you will be dropped right by the car and a National Rep will be waiting for you to sign the documents. You will be asked where you are staying and what phone # to use for contact purpose only.
This is exactly what happened last week. We didn't have to call as the shuttle was right outside the terminal as we exited from baggage claim.

Other rentals outside the US did not count towards my National status, do rentals in Puerto Rico count?
Old Dec 5, 2010, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
This is exactly what happened last week. We didn't have to call as the shuttle was right outside the terminal as we exited from baggage claim.

Other rentals outside the US did not count towards my National status, do rentals in Puerto Rico count?
Yes, rentals in Puerto Rico do count towards status.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 8:05 pm

Thanks Gator11. I suppose I should add the type of car I was given. A Mitsubishi Lancer which supposedly only had a bit over 2,000 miles, the way this piece of junk drove, I'm thinking the odometer was at 102,000 and I just missed the 1. But seeing how PR drivers are some of the worst I've experienced, I'm glad I had a beater.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 4:55 pm

I recently joined the SJU Lancer club as well. Had a reservation for a Full Size, but the only thing available when I arrived in late PM was the Lancer or an Echo.

Plenty of selection when I returned it, of course. A couple of Fusions, Camrys various mid-sized SUVs.

- RightD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.