Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at AUS

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2007, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Cars at AUS

I'm renting from Austin next Friday evening. What's normally available at Austin? I always have rented from Hertz there and typically get a decent import.

I'm just standard EC, not EE. I keep reading reports of people just taking nearly any car on the lot at other locations without anyone batting an eye... if I don't like the cars on the aisle am I likely to get away with this at Austin if they have a Volvo or something interesting on the Executive aisle that isn't on the EA??
Old Oct 8, 2007, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.4 MM Hertz Gold, National Executive Elite, Starwood Gold, Hyat Gold
I am there once a month. They have a good selection for EC and excellent for EE. Last year I got a Volvo as EC.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I arrived in Austin around 9pm on Friday night, the EC and the EE aisles were both full. There was only one Volvo on the whole lot, but was parked on the EE side. After reading others reports I grabbed it anyway and not a word was said when I went to the booth to checkout.

If this is the norm with National then they'll have all of my business. I've been a Hertz renter where the best car I normally run across is a Mazda or Toyota outside of Prestige Collection airports.

This is only a base S40 with the weak engine, but I'm a whole lot happier driving this than a domestic anything and really there wouldn't be very many Asian cars I'd pick over this car either.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, National Executive
I always get the Volvo. I have been to Austin once a month for the last several months, and have had a different volvo each time. I think they have 6 or 7. The EC selection seems to have decent cars when I walk through the lot. EE is great at AUS.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
I just got back from Austin on a one day turn... there were no Volvos in the parking lot this week, but I did enjoy a Dodge Charger with 36 miles on it. It was fun.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 2:55 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
I was at AUS last Saturday afternoon. The selection was a little sparse, with a Camry and Sebring the only cars on the Executive Aisle - besides one minivan, everything else there, and on the Emerald Aisle, looked to be pickup trucks.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
A very tiny selection here last night (Thursday). Lots of SUVs in the Specialty vehicle area, and the way the lot is laid out you can't "accidentally" take a vehicle from there instead of the EA/ES. The EA/ES is across from the Midsize/Fullsize, and the selection was actuallly better on the non-Aisle.

The EA seemed to have all the typical midsize options, but I didn't walk down quite that far. The ES had a RAV 4 (!?), a Jeep Compass, a Grand Marquis, a Charger with no keys in it, and some Impalas and Malibus.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 9:05 am

Last Wednesday's ES selection was pretty much limited to Malibus, although I did snag the lone Santa Fe with fairly low miles and active sat radio. Aside from the annoying CVT, it's not a bad vehicle.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 10:54 am

updates?

Flying into AUS next week and was wondering if anyone knows what the EA/ES aisle looks like these days since there hasn't been an update to this thread in over a year.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by joshwillis
Flying into AUS next week and was wondering if anyone knows what the EA/ES aisle looks like these days since there hasn't been an update to this thread in over a year.
I was there 2 weeks ago. From what I can remember, there were the usual Impalas, Camrys and Altimas. Ford Fusion, Hyundai Sonata. Then they had a bunch of different SUVs: Hyundai Santa Fe, Durango, some Mazda crossover, GMC Acadia, Jeeps, Ford Escape.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
They've changed the layout a little bit. Now the ES is closest to the gate on both sides of the aisle, the EA is further back, and I can't figure out what they do for general members.

The booth attendant greets you as you come out. She told me (last night) that the Camaro and Challenger parked at angles right next to the booth were not on the ES (they also had signs on them) but were available for an upcharge. The ES had 12 vehicles - 7 minivans, 2 Suburbans, 2 Journeys, and a Silverado. I was about to take one of the Suburbans when a porter brought out a 2011 Acadia, which I took instead. The XM had expired, which was ok for this trip, and it appears to be a 2WD model. I just didn't need the heft of the Suburban for three people.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:47 pm

Programs: I fly for free.
Picked-up/returned on 3/4/12 Sunday mid-morning

Executive: Journey, Few Impalas, A Malibu, 200, Buick Regal, Ford Escape, Grand Cherokee Laredo, Jetta, A few Avalons and a Genesis
Aisle: Few Impalas, 200 and a few other low-key cars.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 8:43 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Stopped in yesterday afternoon (3/9) to swap out my cursed SAT rental. It was pouring rain so there wasn't too much out. A couple Malibus and an Impala in EA. ES had a brand new out of the wrapping 2012 300 with the 8 speed auto and large touchscreen. I would have taken it but the Chrysler UConnect won't sync with an iPhone 4. I grabbed an Avalon with 1500 miles on it (review forthcoming). There was also a CTS and S60 as the paid upgrades. The Alamo side had 5 or 6 new Genesis sedans but didn't get the OK to take from them.
Old May 3, 2012, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, HH Gold, National Executive, Amex Plat
Any recent experiences at AUS? Renting a car there next week (Thurs afternoon) and was curious as to what is usually available.
Old May 25, 2012, 11:31 am
EEE

Programs: UA Gold
I rolled in at midnight a couple of nights ago, and they had a pretty wide selection of midsize-fullsize cars and SUVs/crossovers. Sadly, I think I might have barely missed grabbing a convertible. I ended up taking a Jeep Wrangler with SIRIUS and 4900 miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.