Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at ALB

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2005, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz #1 Club Gold, Hilton,Marriott,Omni, National Emerald Club, US Airways DM, Continental OnePass
Cars at ALB

Hello everyone,

Has anyone ever rented from the ALB (Albany,NY) airport location, if so can you please let me know what the setup is for Emerald Club rentals at this location, also how does it work? Also, what is the selection of cars at this location?

Thank you very much for replying to my other threads i really appreciate it.

Thanks again, any suggestions would be great.

Ryan

Last edited by rgeer; Feb 21, 2005 at 5:02 pm
Old Oct 29, 2008, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I've rented there a couple of times. It's a shared facility with Alamo. EA/ES skip the counter and go out to the booth (like Nashville), but there is no obvious differentiation between the vehicles. They have an absolutely terrible selection for full-size reservations - twice in a row, not one stinking Impala.

Last time, for a weeklong rental with golf clubs, I managed to cajole the clerk into giving me an Equinox with XM. It was a tight fit (I need a LOT of headroom), but it was a good ride and I got used to it.

This time, the only full-size car there was a stripped down Malibu. Nothing else bigger than a compact SUV, unless I wanted a minivan and not even a big one. Just horrible.

Before I converted all my business to National, I used to rent from Hertz and Budget at Albany. I have four trips there in 2009, and I'm leaning towards going back to Hertz if the price is the same.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 5:41 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Not much has changed here. Selection poor in FS. No Impala. No Charger. I was offered a KIA Sorento. I asked if it had Sirius. Agent said yes but the sub had expired. Tried a newer Sorento, no sat radio at all. He offered a Dodge Caliber. The Sirius was OK so I took it after he changed the res to show compact instead of FS. This young man really went out of his way to find a car that I would like. He was friendly, knowledgeable and enthusiastic. This one drives much better than the one I had a couple of years ago.

Remember, no aisle here. You go to the booth and they hand you keys. In my case they ask what I want and unlock the doors with the remote so you can find the vehicle. It is a small area with only 20 or so parking spots so this works pretty good. One caveat: the agent that rents cars is the agent that checks in cars. It can get a bit confusing when both are happening at the same time.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 5:43 am

Not much selection here, arrived in mid summer late on a Friday and I had booked a premium. They had a Buick Lucerne, and Lincoln MKZ for more money and a Cadillac for more money .... and that was kind of it. It was pretty empty and slightly disappointing although the Buick was not a bad car.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 7:16 am

Wonderful collection!

I went to ALB a couple of times last month and and I found some interesting collection:

1st time - Premium. BMW 328i -> I took this over anything else, simple reason.

2nd time - Premium. They ran out of Premiums, so I chose the Camry SE 2012 instead. I saw the Infiniti and BMW (probably X5) around, it was Monday night. I was very surprised with the fact that such a nice collections are sitting at ALB.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 7:18 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
I just rented an FCAR from here. They have a variety of cars, but I didn't see any premium laying around. Was offered an Avalon, but took the Altima instead as the Avalon is too big for me. Also saw Cruz, Mini Cooper, bunch of full size SUV. Both Alamo and National booth was operated by the same person so he was running back and forth.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 8:57 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Avalon is a premium.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:04 am

Programs: UA Gold, Avis PPlus, Hertz PC, Hilton & BW Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott & IHG Gold
Have a rental for the end of the month. Needed something a little bigger than an ICAR, so went and made an FCAR res. Question:

I am assuming that there is no aisle since it is not listed on the reservation (it says booth). Correct assumption? No choice or is the booth able to negotiate on that?

Second, if that is the case, I am also assuming I am entitled to at least an FCAR?

Finally, has anyone been here lately to see what is on stock?
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:25 am

Programs: Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by wrightflyerB
Have a rental for the end of the month. Needed something a little bigger than an ICAR, so went and made an FCAR res. Question:

I am assuming that there is no aisle since it is not listed on the reservation (it says booth). Correct assumption? No choice or is the booth able to negotiate on that?

Second, if that is the case, I am also assuming I am entitled to at least an FCAR?

Finally, has anyone been here lately to see what is on stock?
Booth locations will usually give you a choice from within that category. If booked FCAR, then at least entitled to that. Anything above that is bonus.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 9:23 am

Programs: UA Gold, Avis PPlus, Hertz PC, Hilton & BW Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott & IHG Gold
Originally Posted by KevinMD
Booth locations will usually give you a choice from within that category. If booked FCAR, then at least entitled to that. Anything above that is bonus.
Good info to know. I knew there was a reason I booked a FCAR. (Typically) More comfortable to drive down to Poughkeepsie and perhaps Mohegan Sun in that category as opposed to an ICAR.

Anyone seen what the FCAR selection here has been?

Last edited by wrightflyerB; Mar 26, 2014 at 4:46 pm
Old Mar 27, 2014, 4:10 pm

Update bump!

The rental car gods must have been smiling on me today! As noted, this is a booth location, so no EA, ES, Exec Elite aisles. As a result, reserved an FCAR since I was driving onward to Poughkeepsie and spending a week in that area.

Arrived today (Thursday) around 12:00/12:30 and took the long walk to the National booth tucked away behind Avis, Budget and Hertz. Of course, Enterprise and Alamo were back there too.

Walked up to the booth and gave name. They had a 2013 black Chrysler 300c waiting. Already a one-class upgrade. Sweet. I also asked what else was available, as the garage was rather thinly stocked between the Nat/Ent/Ala and I wasn't sure I wanted a gas guzzling 300.

Offered alt options of an Altima or a CX-5.

Altima wasn't appealing, even though it is an FCAR (I believe) and I wanted a trunk. So stuck with the 300c anyways. Did a walk around, noticed some scratches that were questionable so asked the station attendant to double check. Mind you, it is dark in the garage and this is a black car. She did however, notice part of the rear trim along the trunk was detaching from the car and henceforth deemed the car unrentable. So much for the 300c!

But kudos to the highest to the station attendant (I think she may have been the MOD).

As a result of the hassles, I was then offered a black 2014 Cadillac ATS! ~5000 miles. VA plates.

No sat, but can't complain too much. The thruway was an easy drive, and much appreciation for the double upgrade!

Last edited by wrightflyerB; Mar 27, 2014 at 7:33 pm
Old May 17, 2014, 7:26 am

Great location .. It is a booth as there are no exit gates but super friendly service,

Had a Versa or similar reserved and the agent asked what I like to rent. When I said a small SUV, he quickly offered me a Tucson or Captivia but suggested the Tucson as it had sat radio.

Great car, 2200 miles on it, NY-plated, still has new car smell and a big upgrade. Reasons why I am loyal to National.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:23 am

Just checking if anyone has traveled through Albany lately and what their experience has been?
Old May 1, 2017, 6:22 pm

Just refreshing to see if anyone has traveled through ALB lately.
Old May 28, 2017, 4:11 pm

We leave later this week...if anyone has info regarding ALB, it would be very appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.