Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Cars at ANAC02 (Anaheim, CA - Adjacent to Disneyland)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2012, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC

Does anyone have any experience with what the selection is like at this location? It doesn't seem to have an entry in the locations sticky yet, and searching for ANAC02 didn't yield any results.

I've got a reservation next weekend for a one-way luxury rental to SJC. Would appreciate knowing if I can get anything decent as a luxury out of this location. Thanks!
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:49 am

Others have posted SJC is a franchise, so that may influence things a bit.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
That's interesting. Surprising even. I've never had any problem doing anything to or from SJC.

Edited to add: I really doubt it's a franchise. It doesn't appear in the second post of the master cars-by-location thread, either. The Anaheim location, on the other hand, who knows. I know Alamo/National was the official rental car of Disneyland for many years (don't know if that's still the case) and I suspect that's why it is one of the few things that wasn't bulldozed by Disney on that block when they built California Adventure :P

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/natio...hise-list.html
Old Jan 17, 2012, 2:12 pm

If I recall correctly, others have posted in the relevant threads that free days are not valid at the San Jose independent licensee location. I think I also remember seeing something to that effect in the T & Cs of the 1-2 Free program.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
If I recall correctly, others have posted in the relevant threads that free days are not valid at the San Jose independent licensee location. I think I also remember seeing something to that effect in the T & Cs of the 1-2 Free program.
I'm not sure what location they're talking about - but it isn't SJC. Maybe a local location, like Palo Alto? I use my free days at SJC all the time, and have also used 1-2-Free codes there and done 1-way rentals both to and from SJC. I live five minutes away from SJC on the light-rail. I do it all the time. In any case, this thread is about availability at the ANAHEIM location if anyone knows about it!

Last edited by elCheapoDeluxe; Jan 17, 2012 at 2:32 pm
Old Jan 17, 2012, 4:07 pm

Hmm, maybe they changed it. A while ago National bought out some franchises. Palo Alto is almost certainly a corporate store, judging by their relatively competitive one-way rates.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 8:36 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Ability to use 1-2-Free coupons is a telltale sign of franchise locations IMO. All National locations will accept the banked free days (except where it says they're restricted, San Jose and NY Metro iirc?)
Old Jan 18, 2012, 7:49 am

That's exactly the T&Cs I was referencing, with San Jose specifically mentioned as excluded. Manhattan neighborhood locations are all corporate, but do not participate in free day pickup due to very high cost and demand issues. They accept free day returns, and the NYC airports do participate in free day pickup.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tuneman1984
Ability to use 1-2-Free coupons is a telltale sign of franchise locations IMO. All National locations will accept the banked free days (except where it says they're restricted, San Jose and NY Metro iirc?)
I just don't know where these rumors are from that you can't use 1-2-Free coupons at SJC. I just booked a reservation with a 1-2-Free coupon out of SJC to see if I was imagining anything. It went through normally like always. I could take a screen-shot if you like.

Edited to add: Do you have a link to the thread where this was reported?

Last edited by elCheapoDeluxe; Jan 18, 2012 at 9:57 am
Old Jan 18, 2012, 1:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
I just don't know where these rumors are from that you can't use 1-2-Free coupons at SJC. I just booked a reservation with a 1-2-Free coupon out of SJC to see if I was imagining anything. It went through normally like always. I could take a screen-shot if you like.

Edited to add: Do you have a link to the thread where this was reported?
I was just referencing my own experience in trying to book 1-2-Free rewards at known franchise locations that I've frequented (i.e. Vancouver Island locations in BC). I've never been to SJC and as such, can't comment directly on whether or not it is a franchise.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Anaheim location selection was very limited - even for a local station, I thought. Plenty of cars, all the same. Several Impalas, a few Rio's, a couple Camry's, and a couple Caravans. One 300. Didn't see much else.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 3:53 pm

What car did you take? Did they offer you a choice?
Old Jan 22, 2012, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

I had a full size reservation and was offered an Impala or a Camry. Took an Impala.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 5:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Bumping this thread to list out some issues at this location, which are of particular concern to those who rent frequently (rent instead of own).

There is one employee at this location who seems to always be there, and is somewhat problematic. We will call him "Portly Pete" - he is male, heavyset and generally wears a blazer or sweater as part of the uniform. In my own experience, along with that of someone else I know who does the same 'rent instead of own' routine, we have found the following issues with Portly Pete at this location:

1. will always try and take away any nicer (premium, luxury or any form of specialty car) you drive in with as part of your weekly renewal and try and substitute the smallest card in the category you reserved as Exec Elite - usually requires a big argument and escalation to a supervisor or manager and it's a problem given I need to return that nicer car to the airport location I got it from when I depart the area for a trip

2. will insist that even if your credit card is attached to your profile, he needs to see it, insists such a request is normal (when we all know that it's not), and then runs the card for a deposit equaling no less than 2.5x your estimated rental contract without telling you first

3. doesn't recognize anyone who is a frequent renter and at the location a couple times a month or more - it's always as if he sees you for the very first time, like you're a foreign tourist who doesn't know what they are doing in the area and seems clueless about what you're trying to do (just close and re-open a new contract) - totally opposite to my experience at every other location I frequent (some of whom will do a renewal for me by phone to save the drive provided they've seen my car at least once)

4. today was a new twist - insisted I needed to provide proof of collision and comprehensive insurance with the name, phone number and deductible amount, insisting credit cards do not provide insurance they recognize for damage, and saying "we have a new manager and it's their new policy" (which is BS)

The location is devoid of any decent cars, usually just Sonata, Camry, Malibu, maybe an Impala and a few nice cars on the Alamo side set aside to upsell for foreign tourists.

So if you're renting frequently in the SoCal area, try to figure out and avoid Portly Pete's working hours, otherwise just accept the higher taxes at the airport location where you won't get hassled.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 10:19 pm

Is there an Executive Aisle here?? Hoping for a large SUV - Suburban..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.