Cars at TUS (Tuscon, AZ Airport)

Old Jan 21, 2010, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold, AA Gold
Cars at TUS (Tuscon, AZ Airport)

Anyone have any experiences renting at TUS (Tucson, AZ)? It doesn't look there is an EA/ES aisle, but have people gotten decent cars there? The other option is flying into PHX and driving to Tucson, though I know the PHX taxes/fees are sky high. Seems like TUS's are lower, but if the site is small with few cars, perhaps it's worth it? Anyone have any insight? Thanks.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 7:38 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond

Last edited by Sweet Willie; Apr 23, 2010 at 3:08 pm
Old Mar 12, 2010, 10:37 am

Programs: United Platinum
If you are looking for a high quality rental I would avoid TUS at all costs.

I was there 3 weeks ago, there is no EA/ES

Regardless of the class size reserved there were two options
1) Impala
2) Pontiac Vibe

The National lot is 2 rows of cars and that is it...perhaps I hit them at the wrong time but it is truely a small airport.

There is an Emerald Booth but it really doesn't not provide anything of value.

Let me know if there are other questions I can answer
Old Apr 23, 2010, 3:16 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Devyan1
If you are looking for a high quality rental I would avoid TUS at all costs.
Agree.

Didn't matter for me personally as TUS car rental rates were much cheaper than PHX rates and my airfare was lower.

Originally Posted by Devyan1
Regardless of the class size reserved there were two options
1) Impala
2) Pontiac Vibe

There is an Emerald Booth but it really doesn't not provide anything of value.
add Pontiac G6's to the list, there were a number last week.

No convertibles, haven't been at TUS for a couple of years per the Emerald Booth employee, who had to be one of the most friendly National folks I've run into. He was aware right off the bat that I was asking for a choice of cars and offered anything in the lot, (which only happened to be the 3 car type listed)

Inspect closely the cars you rent here, LOTS had big chips in the paint &/or windshield as well as some good dents. Took me awhile to fill out the dent/damage slip. I have never run into a problem with National but I figure better safe than sorry.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold, AA Gold
Here's some more color on TUS airport car rental generally, as well as National at TUS. As one might imagine, TUS is a fairly small airport. However, though small, the airport itself is fairly new in appearance. What was really nice about the car rental facility at TUS (which applies to all the car rental agencies there, not just National), is that it is a minor walk (probably 1/4 mile indoors mostly where the very minor incline is eased by a moving walkway and short outdoor covered portion) to the rental facility/garage.

Each car rental agency (the normal 7 or 8) has essentially 2 lanes, with National's being on the far left. As an Emerald/Executive/etc. you don't have to wait at the line at the counter, and walk directly to the garage area, where there is a National stand-alone booth. In line with the others' postings here, when I arrived (on a Wed evening), for my rental (full size) I was given the choice of exactly 2 cars (Malibu or Impala; I chose the Malibu). There were about 10 other cars in the National lanes, but there was no flexibility to get any of the others cars without paying. I was offered an Equinox for $10/day extra (which after pressing him, the agent offered for $9/day), but that was it. When I returned my car (on a Saturday morning), it was likewise sparsely populated. Unlike at most other airports I've returned to, you don't return it to a return line, but rather are expected to park it in a space--any parking spot within their lanes.

In sum, I really likely the setup of the TUS airport and car rental facility (no bus ride to a far away rental facility building where they charge you 50% on top of your rental rate to pay back the costs of building the thing) because it is easily walkable without much effort (and the help of a SmarteCarte). The National selection? Not so much.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 12:23 am

Programs: Southwest
Stinks! That's my opinion. I reserved a Full-Size and they tried to pawn off a Chevy Malibu to me. Since there is no aisle, you are forced to accept what they give you.

Told the booth agent that I reserved a Full-Size and the response was, "we consider the Malibu a full-size here.

Showed her my reservation and it said, "Chevy Impala or similar." The response was that the picture on my reservation was only a "suggestion" and specific cars cannot be guaranteed. ...?

I saw a couple of Impalas on the opposite row and asked if I can have any of those. The reply was a blank stare and repeat of "the malibu is considered a full size here."

Then I got loud and aggressive, "told her that she was not going to stick me in a malibu and in my book, that car is a mid-size and she was not going to downgrade me. If she wanted to argue, let's call up corporate, GM, and see what size a Malibu is. The truth was there was an abundance of Malibus and they tried to stick one to me.

I got the Impala. Overall, a great airport to rent cars, easy to get in and out of. They even have a cellphone parking lot where you can wait until the person you are picking up is outside as opposed to circling the airport.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, 1MM; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold
Ford Fusion at TUS

Rented from National at TUS last weekend and got a Ford Fusion from the Emerald Aisle (well, technically no Emerald Aisle service in TUS). Noticed a bunch of Malibus and HHRs and then the Fusion. Asked the booth attendant and was given it without a problem.

As others have mentioned, in TUS you have to check in with the booth attendant in the garage to get your paperwork, but you can bypass the in-airport counter.

I was pleasantly surprised by the Ford Fusion...roomy, decent power, and it looked halfway decent from the outside. Had Sirius as well...a nice bonus!
Old Sep 3, 2012, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA and HH
Rented at TUS this weekend and for my Saturday morning pick up they had 2 Avalons, a Camaro (V6), and a Tahoe. As I was driving a lot I got one of the Avalons and as I was getting everything set up someone came out and took the other one.

At my return this morning there were a ton of cars but it was still dark and I didn't see anything exciting, just Impalas, Altimas, Avalons, etc.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 8:26 pm

Programs: I fly for free.
I was offered an Impala/Malibu on a Mid-Size reservation.

$11 upcharge for a Camaro Conv. or a Navigator. Took the Camaro on a one way to PHX. Camaro was a SSAR.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, National EE, HH Diamond
Had a one way ECAR from TUS to PHX yesterday. I saw offered the choice of a Hyundai Tuscon, Nissan Rogue, Toyota Camry or Chevy Malibu. I went with the 2018 Camry (it had less than 600 miles on it). Other notables at the location: Lincoln Continental, BMW 430i convertible, Camaro RS.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 9:50 am

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
Any update? I have a standard elite SUV on reserve at AVIS. Any idea what car I can upgrade to?
Old Mar 1, 2022, 10:45 am

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
Originally Posted by opus2002
Any update? I have a standard elite SUV on reserve at AVIS. Any idea what car I can upgrade to?
Sir, This is a National rental car thread.
Auto Enthusiast, KevinMD and Ordpc like this.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
Red face

Originally Posted by El_Chiflero
Sir, This is a National rental car thread.
You're right. I wasn't looking at the thread, just the title. Thank you.
Ordpc likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
So I have two rentals recently at TUS that I wanted to report back on

First one was on 10/29 and it was for a Premium Elite Sedan. As a Executive Elite, they asked me what I had in mind, I said that unless they had 7/5 Series, if they had a Premium Elite, I would just take that as I don't like SUV's...They offered me a Volvo S60 or a Genesis G70. I took the G70 as I like that car from a previous rental. Good service and I was in and out in 5 minutes.

Second rental was on 11/10 through 11/13. I reserved a Midsize Car. I was acknowledged for being a Executive Elite and I was asked what kind of car I wanted. I spotted a Audi A4 with 30K miles right in front of m me and I said, that will do nicely. Was upgraded no problem.

Is the selection significantly less than PHX? Absolutely.

Have I seen premium cars and even a few Audi Q5's, a BMW X3 and Audi A6's? Yep. I just would rather have EE status to facilitate these great rentals.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.