Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

do not use National/ Alamo in Holland or Belgium

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

do not use National/ Alamo in Holland or Belgium

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2009, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA lifetime gold
Exclamation do not use National/ Alamo in Holland or Belgium

I made a reservation with Alamo in BRU for 6/2-6/11
At the airport there was no counter for either Alamo or National
Instead I was directed, by a tiny sign, to Europcar.
According to the employees, Alamo/National rental car in Holland and Belgium are out of business. Europcar is supposed to take care of any reservations made in the US for those countries.
Lot of good that did me !
No reservation in their - Europcar -system !
I had reserved an automatic,with an Entertainment Book upgrade coupon to next class. After prolonged discussions,I would have been happy with just any automatic. I even tried Avis next door, but they wanted 3x the price,since I did not have a reservation.
Europcar ended up giving me a nice new Lancia ,whatever that is,
stationwagon. With a manual transmission !!!!!!
The rental lasted 8 days,just enough time to finally get used to driving a manual.
I never thought I would have to confirm a reservation by calling the rental location,but that is what I will be doing from now on.
The personnel at Europcar tried to be helpful, but failed in the typical european fashion. They said they only had 5 automatics,and those were all rented. They should have giving me a higher class of car with automatic transmission.
Funny, in the rental car garage, there were lots of Mercedes with automatic.
I'm glad to be back home !!!!!!!
Old Jun 13, 2009, 4:44 am

Programs: National Elite. that is all...
haha nice so you got to learn stick on a rental car which you were forced to drive
Old Jun 16, 2009, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
National has been handled by Europcar for years.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA lifetime gold
I rented a car from Alamo in February 2009 ,very nice BMW : AUTOMATIC !
no mention of Europcar. That made me expect great service for the next one !
This reservation ( 6/3 - 6/11 ) did not show up in Europcar's system.
The employees at BRU were nice enough to accept my booked rate, but were not able to provide me with an automatic transmission vehicle.
According to them , the company that operated National/Alamo in Holland and Belgium has filed for bankruptcy and all operations have been absorbed by Europcar.
What I have a problem with, is, that my confirmed reservation was not anywhere to be found on Europcar's reservation system.
I can only blame Alamo/National for that!
I expect Alamo/National to provide their US customers with the service they contract with, at the time a reservation is placed.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 11:38 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Welcome to FT (posting), exaachener!

And thanks for the heads up!
Old Jun 16, 2009, 11:47 pm

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Originally Posted by noah
National has been handled by Europcar for years.
I recall renting out of BRU last summer; it was definitely a Naional location then. They even mentioned that my Elite EC card was good for avoiding the counter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.