Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at MDW

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2021, 3:01 pm

March 27 2021 cars at MDW

Today the combined selection at MDW at 3:00 pm for National and all combined brands was three Corollas and one mini van.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 9:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: United, Hilton
Hi. Any recent experience at MDW with EA? National overall? Thanks in advance
Old Oct 2, 2021, 10:55 pm

Programs: Natl Emerald EE, Hertz PC, DL Gold
Rent here on Oct 2 (Sat) morning. A Rogue and a Ford Explorer were also there. The premier selection had a RAV4 XLE, and a small chevy SUV... There were at least four 7-passenger SUVs and two challengers, probably not available for aisle reservation.

I had a premium elite SUV reservation with a free day and was told that they have a Land Rover being washing. After waited for about 15 mins, the manager told me it had a recall. They had nothing else luxury, picked the Explorer (2021 model, 21k miles, limited trim) in the end, since it had a type-c port (forgot to bring a type-A wire). Kind of an annoying experience, but the manager was friendly.

When I returned on Oct 2 (Sat) evening, the selection was similar, but with fewer cars.

Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 9:08 am

What a mess. Picked up on Saturday 10/23 around 2pm with a minivan reservation. I arrived to find a mass of people waiting for cars. National was servicing National, Enterprise, and Alamo out of the National kiosk in front of the Executive Aisle. There were about 6-8 staff there at any particular time. One guy was taking down names on a clipboard based on when you arrived, irrespective of the company or car class booked. A college soccer team was there waiting for large cars. I have no idea what they reserved but they got the next 3 largest cars (2 Pacificas and a 4Runner).

After 30 minutes, I'm starting to get fairly annoyed. I kept being given the same runaround from multiple employees:

"We have minivans, they're just being sanitized"
"There are two that have already been cleaned and are just being cleared for rent"
"Oh, those two got sent off somewhere else (where to?!) but there are more coming"
"It'll just be a few more minutes, there are more coming up now"

Finally, I asked the guy who looked to be in charge (and I use that term VERY lightly), "You really have no idea whether it will be 1 minute from now or 1 hour and 1 minute from now, do you?" He finally admitted that he didn't. I started to really complain, and for good reason, my pregnant wife and 3 little kids were waiting back at the airport. We're going on 45 minutes now that I've been waiting.

And that's when the excuses start:
"Do you think I like having people waiting?"
"All the rental car companies sold half their fleet"
"There were supposed to be 4 minivans returned already and they're not back yet"
"Two more of the minivans were damaged"
"I'm doing the best I can" - this I really questioned, because eventually it was just me and another large party waiting for a minivan, and there were 6 people in the booth doing absolutely nothing. Maybe there really was nothing they could have done. But, there was zero sense of urgency. I rarely throw status around in a do-you-know-who-I-am kind of way, but in this case, I felt obligated to ask if this is how National treats their Executive Elite customers these days? I did not get a response to this one.

Finally, he could see a Tahoe and a minivan heading down to be cleaned from the return aisle. So he told me I could have either one when it came back up. Which really meant the National staff were appeasing customers with lies about wait times when they really had zero idea. Also during the hour I was waiting, I had multiple National staff ask he how many people are in my party. First of all, that is none of their business. I expect what I reserved or an equivalent. And, with 3 car seats, there is no guarantee that they will fit in one row. So stop trying to convince me to take a mid-sized SUV.

A few minutes over an hour, the Tahoe finally showed up. A 2020 LT with 54,017 miles. I incredulously asked if they were kidding, as I was quite pissed off by this point. And the "manager" told me they are now renting cars out to 65,000 miles. Good grief. All in all, it was by far the worst experience I have had with National.

If there is a fleet shortage, which of course I know there is, maybe stop taking reservations?? And maybe give some preference to your elite customers. And maybe don't lie to people to appease them. And maybe call someone at the cleaning facility to move a large vehicle to the front of the row. The apathy from the staff working was appalling.

Sorry for the rant.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 11:47 pm
Original Member

Programs: United, Hilton
Thank you both for the responses. At least my expectations are lowered so I won't be too disappointed.

On a side note - it is just getting so old to hear the pandemic being used as an excuse by so many businesses. I think they are just dragging their heels to see how little they can restore so that they can be more profitable.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 9:42 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred / CP holder, National Exec Elite, Enterprise Gold
Picked up at MDW earlier in the week. This was my second time here... There were a bunch of 300S's, Camaro, Challenger, and Mustangs in ES. I'm guessing with the snow no one wanted them (neither did I.) There was a Cherokee TrailHawk in ES I was going to grab, but it had a broken hood release. Ended up with a Silverado LT. Not exactly impressed with the selection at MDW from my last two experiences. Glad I'm Executive to get a bit of a better pick.
Ordpc likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 8:52 am

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AppleBoy97
Picked up at MDW earlier in the week. This was my second time here... There were a bunch of 300S's, Camaro, Challenger, and Mustangs in ES. I'm guessing with the snow no one wanted them (neither did I.) There was a Cherokee TrailHawk in ES I was going to grab, but it had a broken hood release. Ended up with a Silverado LT. Not exactly impressed with the selection at MDW from my last two experiences. Glad I'm Executive to get a bit of a better pick.
That selection seems pretty good, just not for Chicago in January.
Ordpc likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 7:22 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred / CP holder, National Exec Elite, Enterprise Gold
Any update at MDW?

Just curious how things are at MDW? Still have a sour taste in my mouth from previous experiences here, but it’s easier to fly into MDW than MKE.

Have ES and hoping for a Jeep Grand Cherokee or something similar.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I was at MDW on the morning of 3/10, maybe a 7am flight arrival. There was exactly one vehicle available anywhere (I am exec) fortunately for me it was a 2021 Jeep (not Grand) Cherokee.

​​​​​
Old Mar 24, 2022, 8:36 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat; WoH Exp; AS Gold; AA Plat
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
I was at MDW on the morning of 3/10, maybe a 7am flight arrival. There was exactly one vehicle available anywhere (I am exec) fortunately for me it was a 2021 Jeep (not Grand) Cherokee.

​​​​​
Are aisles typically pretty empty for early pickups? Or have most of you frequent renters found that early pickups can just as easily yield excellent choices in EA/ES?
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by arfaczar
Are aisles typically pretty empty for early pickups? Or have most of you frequent renters found that early pickups can just as easily yield excellent choices in EA/ES?
The latter, for me. Monday mornings and Friday mornings seem to be best, followed by Saturday/Sunday nights.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 7:14 am

Any other updates at MDW? Will be renting here soon... Have an Enterprise reservation ready for an Intermediate SUV just in case...
Old Apr 7, 2022, 8:33 pm

Decent experience

Picked up tonight at MDW. LOTS of options, was pleasantly surprised. there was a Lincoln aviator, BMW sedan, Cadillac XT6 and a few others for upgrade. ES had 2 explorer limited (took one) both with AWD. LOTS of Equinox, Pacifica in all flavors and pickups (Titan)
Ordpc likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 11:56 pm

Decent selection picking up this evening around 5:30pm. Aisle was pretty empty (maybe 1 Corolla) but EE was stacked with a few Rams, a Lincoln sedan, the usual Altima/Exinoxes; and a black Challenger that I was about to take when a smoke gray one was pulled up and the attendant told me it had the Hemi engine so I took that. 13k miles, sweet ride although strangely the horn does not work which I only found out when I pulled out onto Cicero into the usual traffic and had to honk at somebody cutting into my lane. I will say the employees at this location are SUPER friendly, it’s a nice vibe to walk into.
Auto Enthusiast, m907 and Ordpc like this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 5:27 pm

Programs: CO *G, UA 2P, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Wed 6/22 Early Afternoon
EA
Two Chevrolet Colorados
Toyota Camry

EE
Your choice of nearly two dozen Chevrolet Malibu LTs
Two Dodge Charger
Dodge Challenger
Ford F150
Nissan Titan
Jeep Grand Cherokee

I had stacked reservations, so I got notification that Avis upstairs had a Cadillac CT5 as PC waiting for me, so went to see what Hertz and National had on offer. Started off at Hertz on the first floor which had 0 cars in PC selection and a line at the gold booth so skipped that. Made my way up to National the next floor up and also saw the choice of Malibus on EE so took a peek down EA and saw not much better. They have a Audi A4 S-Line Quattro in "upgrade". As I was walking out employee asked if I was looking for anything specific, and was non-committal knowing I had the Caddy up stairs and freely offered if I'd like the Audi to take it. Nearly new car 1400 miles, flawless inside and out. Two thumbs up to the staff at this location. I returned Saturday noon and the availability was dismal. Two Colorado's and a Mazda CX30 in EE and that was it with an empty return line. They had tons of staff standing by on the return line so hopefully that meant they were flipping cars as fast as they were coming in.
Auto Enthusiast, joepa26 and Ordpc like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.