Community
Wiki Posts
Search

National/ Alamo FAQs and Questions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2018, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by arf04
Does anyone know whether or not National at STL shares the fleet with Alamo? I have rented there before, but it was three years ago and I don't quit remember the setup (it was also late at night so I wasn't able to get a good look around). From the reports elsewhere on this forum it looks like selection can be spotty (I am executive), so I am considering a backup reservation with Alamo in case there isn't anything on the ES that I want. Thx
They are collocated and a quick check of photos on Google shows the parking stall signs are co-branded, so I would assume that yes, they share a fleet.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by jackal
They are collocated and a quick check of photos on Google shows the parking stall signs are co-branded, so I would assume that yes, they share a fleet.
Thanks. I did see that they were on the same lot, but you never know. Maybe I will just take my chances, or use someone else as a backup.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:25 pm

Hi, i've read the FAQ but still have a quick newbie question -

I've signed up with National and have Executive Elite status via my credit card.

I will be doing either one long rental (say 3 weeks) or a series of shorter rentals in April next year from Orlando (MCO). I will need at least a full size or ideally mid size SUV to fit large 3 suitcases in without too much hassle - a couple of years back i hired a BMW X3 via SIXT for 28 days and that was great! (although it cost me as i bought one afterwards!)

My question is whether i should book a mid size SUV - if i do, can i still choose something better/different from the Executive aisle? if i book mid size am i guaranteed to at least get a full size?

Also, do National do one way drive out deals from Florida to north east states?

Many Thanks
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:12 pm

In recent years, National has shunted the one-way specials to their Alamo and Enterprise affiliates. Same airport locations, same cars, same prices. But no National choose-your-free-upgrade benefits. The closest you can get is National rental credits earned through Enterprise, and lower taxes if picked up at a neighborhood store. Sometimes the special pricing does extend to National, but it tends to be added relatively late, and often only for returns to select regions.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bergsey
if i book mid size am i guaranteed to at least get a full size?
That's a misread of the Exec upgrade benefit. Book full size and pay the rate for midsize. The upgrade doesn't work for specialty car classes like SUVs - only full size, premium, luxury.

If you're booking around the major holidays or school breaks you should book what you need, be prepared to wait, or make a double booking. Exec offerings can be slim. Everybody at MCO wants a family-friendly vehicle (minivan/SUV) without paying for it.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
That's a misread of the Exec upgrade benefit. Book full size and pay the rate for midsize. The upgrade doesn't work for specialty car classes like SUVs - only full size, premium, luxury.

If you're booking around the major holidays or school breaks you should book what you need, be prepared to wait, or make a double booking. Exec offerings can be slim. Everybody at MCO wants a family-friendly vehicle (minivan/SUV) without paying for it.
Thanks, but if I book an SUV can I still choose something from the Executive aisle (being Exec Elite member) if I want ??
Old Dec 9, 2018, 5:53 am

A few months ago I booked a reservation for MCO over spring break next year. It was $221 and some change for a midsize. I'm an Emerald Executive member. Recently, when double checking my reservation I found that the new total is $0.00. Has anyone had expereince with this?

I need my husband (same last name, same address on our drivers' licenses) to be an authorized driver, which should be free, but it says it's $15 a day on their website. I'm assuming that it's free at the counter (which I was hoping to bypass). I'm curious about the $0.00 total though.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 7:43 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by wed100105
A few months ago I booked a reservation for MCO over spring break next year. It was $221 and some change for a midsize. I'm an Emerald Executive member. Recently, when double checking my reservation I found that the new total is $0.00. Has anyone had expereince with this?

I need my husband (same last name, same address on our drivers' licenses) to be an authorized driver, which should be free, but it says it's $15 a day on their website. I'm assuming that it's free at the counter (which I was hoping to bypass). I'm curious about the $0.00 total though.
Did you prepay for the reservation? If you prepaid then it would show as $0 on National's website. You should be able to bypass the counter regardless since your Emerald Exec benefits are tied to your driver's license number. The reservation will be associated with your Emerald account at the exit booth.

With regard to the additional driver benefit, we can't say with certainty whether the fee will be waived on a prepaid reservation. While it's a standard feature for spouses to drive for free for Emerald members, the fact that it's a prepaid reservation could negate that. We've had experience with that in the past, but full disclosure, the renter was trying to add a non-spouse as the additional driver, so it may be different for a spouse.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Did you prepay for the reservation? If you prepaid then it would show as $0 on National's website. You should be able to bypass the counter regardless since your Emerald Exec benefits are tied to your driver's license number. The reservation will be associated with your Emerald account at the exit booth.

With regard to the additional driver benefit, we can't say with certainty whether the fee will be waived on a prepaid reservation. While it's a standard feature for spouses to drive for free for Emerald members, the fact that it's a prepaid reservation could negate that. We've had experience with that in the past, but full disclosure, the renter was trying to add a non-spouse as the additional driver, so it may be different for a spouse.
Thank you for the reply. I did not prepay this reservation. Hmm....
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:31 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by wed100105
Thank you for the reply. I did not prepay this reservation. Hmm....
Best to call them to get it sorted out then.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Question, I hit my 12th rental on 12/24, this is noted in my profile but my status has not changed. Is there generally a lag when moving up a tier or should I call and see if there is an issue? Thanks.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 9:36 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, National Executive Elite, Marriott Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve, HH Diamond
doesnt hurt to give them a ring and see....however, i suspect it could take up to 2 weeks.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:45 am

Wanted to provide an update. I called and spoke with the branch manager directly.

He advised that there are 4 available during my dates and he’d go ahead and secure one for me! Of course, my Executive elite status might have had a play.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 10:06 pm

Anyone know any good contract id codes i can use for a renter over 50 years old thanx
Old Feb 21, 2019, 12:58 pm

Did National get rid of last minute specials?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.