Community
Wiki Posts
Search

National/ Alamo FAQs and Questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, MP, SW Companion Pass, National ES
Originally Posted by Coastercameron
That being said and back on topic, I know Ritz is a high level (the highest in fact) Emerald Club member. Please go in knowing that his experience my not translate to your Alamo reservation. If you absolutely NEED a minivan or large SUV don't count on a free upgrade.
That is helpful. We don't NEED the larger vehicle as we're actually heading to Disney and won't be in the car much, but it would be nice. I've read reports of their being SUVs and minivans in the Full Size aisle at TPA so curious as to how likely that is to happen. My biggest question is getting all of our luggage (family of 5) in an Alamo Full Size? We have a Nissan Quest and Subaru Outback at home so luggage fitting is never a problem, but I have't driven a sedan in years (SUVs, minivans and estates at home and compacts or minivans as rentals) so just don't know what kind of trunk space we'll have. Perhaps this seems a silly and naive question, but there we are!
Old Apr 19, 2013, 12:24 pm

My parents and I will be renting a minivan for two weeks on vacation and my father is the primary renter and I will be listed as the second driver. Since my dad is not an Emerald Club member and I am, it seems a waste for nobody to get the points. Can I claim EC credit as the second driver? Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by ShamRockSteady
My parents and I will be renting a minivan for two weeks on vacation and my father is the primary renter and I will be listed as the second driver. Since my dad is not an Emerald Club member and I am, it seems a waste for nobody to get the points. Can I claim EC credit as the second driver? Thanks in advance.
No; the primary renter is the person whose name is on the rental contract, and that name must match the EC number you are attaching to the rental.

You can change the rental so it is in your name and put your EC number on it and list your father as the additional driver, but then the rental would have to be put on your credit card instead of his.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 8:22 pm

12 rental days= how many credits?
Old Apr 19, 2013, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Earthlings
12 rental days= how many credits?

7. Members who choose to earn vehicle rental credits will receive one credit for each vehicle rental (for the first seven (7) days) plus an additional credit on such rental for every four (4) consecutive days of vehicle rentals in the US or Canada
https://www.nationalcar.com/national...ons_100712.pdf
Old Apr 19, 2013, 9:13 pm

If I want another credit, I have to keep the car for 3 more days for a total of 15 days? 3 credits
I see Emerald Club Executive you need 12-24 Rentals/ 40-84 rental days---- does that mean if I have had the car for a 12 days so far, does that mean 1 Rental? So I would need 28 more rental days this year before I get upgraded to Emerald Club Executive?
Old Apr 19, 2013, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
If I want another credit, I have to keep the car for 3 more days for a total of 15 days? 3 credits
Yes

I see Emerald Club Executive you need 12-24 Rentals/ 40-84 rental days---- does that mean if I have had the car for a 12 days so far, does that mean 1 Rental? So I would need 28 more rental days this year before I get upgraded to Emerald Club Executive?
Yes. A rental is a rental regardless of length. And a day is a day.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 9:32 pm

jasonvr, thanks for answering!
Old Apr 20, 2013, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, MP, SW Companion Pass, National ES
Back with another one. Found a loophole in which renting one-way from TPA to Disney having the minivan for several days then returning at Disney Car Care Center, then immediately picking up for one-way back to TPA saves $300 on the rental.

Question: I have a round trip airline ticket, but am doing 2 one-way rentals. Will Alamo accept debit card as payment without CC for holds for both legs even though they are "one-way rentals?"
Old Apr 20, 2013, 11:35 pm

Is Enterprise bad for charging me extra for a standard car, though the insurance is only paying for a midsize car? When I went there the other week, the guys at Enterprise said they had a Corolla or a Focus. But they did not have either of them nor any midsize cars on the lot. They had a Charger or a Fusion. Charger was $8 extra, Fusion was $4 extra. Having this car for this long I don't want to be paying extra money out of my own pocket. Though the Fusion is pretty nice.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is Enterprise bad for charging me extra for a standard car, though the insurance is only paying for a midsize car? When I went there the other week, the guys at Enterprise said they had a Corolla or a Focus. But they did not have either of them nor any midsize cars on the lot. They had a Charger or a Fusion. Charger was $8 extra, Fusion was $4 extra. Having this car for this long I don't want to be paying extra money out of my own pocket. Though the Fusion is pretty nice.
If you are on-time for your reservation and they don't have the car size you reserved, stay firm and make them give you the larger car for free. You shoud not be forced to pay extra if they can't honor your reservation.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by jackal
If you are on-time for your reservation and they don't have the car size you reserved, stay firm and make them give you the larger car for free. You shoud not be forced to pay extra if they can't honor your reservation.
That was 11-12 days ago so I don't know if they can reverse the $4 extra for the standard car.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That was 11-12 days ago so I don't know if they can reverse the $4 extra for the standard car.
If you haven't returned, ask to speak to a manager when you return and make sure you express that you were not satisfied that they forced you to pay for the larger car when they didn't have your smaller car. If they don't budge, let them know you will be calling in to complain--Enterprise managers are deathly afraid of getting a negative customer service rating from HQ (their bonuses are tied to their customer satisfaction index).

If they still don't budge, call in and make sure it is clear that you were forced to pay the higher rate. You should be able to get it back eventually if you push back enough.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 6:54 pm

I spoke to someone today at Ent. and they said it cannot be reversed.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I spoke to someone today at Ent. and they said it cannot be reversed.
I'd try Enterprise one more time, and if they won't, then file a dispute with your credit card. It may not work, since you did sign the contract with the upgrade charge on it, but if they ask for your side of the story, tell them you signed the contract under duress as it was the only way you would get a car that day.

Worth a shot, anyway, unless you decide the time you'll invest in pursuing that option is worth more than the money you'd recover.

Worst comes to worst, you'll know next time what you can demand when you pick up the car. A $4/day upgrade is peanuts compared to what some companies charge for upgrades ($20+/day).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.