National/ Alamo FAQs and Questions

Old Aug 6, 2012, 8:56 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
The best thing to do is book as soon as your plans are reasonably firm, since there are no change or cancel fees in the rental industry, and then check the price multiple times per day for lower rates.
I concur on this recommendation - lock in a rate when your plans are reasonably firm with whatever codes / coupons you are entitled to use. Then check back "occasionally" - but more often in the last 2 weeks before the rental - especially on Tuesdays after they load the "last minute" specials for the next 2 weeks. Both Tuesdays are crucial since sometimes a location will show up the first week but gone the second week (or vice versa). Even if the location doesn't show up in the "last minute" specials, the rates could progressively get lower daily in the last week as they see that they have "extra" inventory. My personal strategy (and I do reasonably well but not the best that I know in the forum) is to lock in the rate when I'm pretty sure of my plans, check on Tuesday of the week before, then Tuesday the week of, and then daily if I remember but at least I'll recheck on the day of the rental itself. Note that I'm a leisure traveler and my rentals are usually weekends (with 1-2 week long rentals a year). Mid-week rentals for me are usually 1-2 days and I usually use my free days for those.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
It can happen at any time.

Times can vary by location, day of week, time of year, and any number of factors. Usually, the rate management department "shops" each location's competition using an automated system on a schedule set by the rate management department for that market. That doesn't mean the rates will change every time the system does a rate shop, since if the competition's rates don't change and the fleet availability stays the same, there won't be any reason to change the rates (this is the case for most rate shops). Rate changes are instantly reflected across all standard booking paths (Nationalcar.com, OTAs, TA GDSes, etc.).

Enterprise has historically been known to rate shop the competition five times a day (perhaps adjusted down for low-volume markets, since each rate shop costs them a small but noticeable amount in GDS search fees), so it is possible that National and Alamo have inherited that for most markets with their purchase by Enterprise. OTOH, some super-competitive major markets like MCO and LAX can see upwards of hourly rate shops, which means prices could (although don't necessarily do) change as often as that.

AutoSlash tracks rates for its customers five times a day, which seems to offer a good balance between processing load (it's very stressful on the computers to check the prices of thousands of reservations!) and catching the vast majority of price drops. It's hard to say how many price drops the average person sees, since it varies so much by all of the factors listed above. Some people see one price drop over a six-month span (usually this means that availability is increasingly tight and the price is pretty much always going up and never down), while others may see a price drop once a month or every week or two, and some may see a series of price drops every day for a week straight (or even every few hours!) as the rental company engages in a price war with its competition. The best thing to do is book as soon as your plans are reasonably firm, since there are no change or cancel fees in the rental industry, and then check the price multiple times per day for lower rates.
Thank you for the explanation , I had no idea who the system works.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by peteropny
I concur on this recommendation - lock in a rate when your plans are reasonably firm with whatever codes / coupons you are entitled to use. Then check back "occasionally" - but more often in the last 2 weeks before the rental - especially on Tuesdays after they load the "last minute" specials for the next 2 weeks. Both Tuesdays are crucial since sometimes a location will show up the first week but gone the second week (or vice versa). Even if the location doesn't show up in the "last minute" specials, the rates could progressively get lower daily in the last week as they see that they have "extra" inventory. My personal strategy (and I do reasonably well but not the best that I know in the forum) is to lock in the rate when I'm pretty sure of my plans, check on Tuesday of the week before, then Tuesday the week of, and then daily if I remember but at least I'll recheck on the day of the rental itself. Note that I'm a leisure traveler and my rentals are usually weekends (with 1-2 week long rentals a year). Mid-week rentals for me are usually 1-2 days and I usually use my free days for those.
Thanks for the tip. I will do that.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 2:20 pm

Programs: DL PM, HY-PL, National-Executive Elite, Hilton - Gold, Marriot-Gold, IGH-Gold
EEE, What's the deal?

Greetings,
This year, I will cross the EEE level. I am wondering what are the benefits to someone like me. I understand that there are upgrades when you reserve a certain level, but I always book Intermediate (It's what our corporate reservation system calls it), show up and pick from the EE aisle.

I've heared everything from Euro Luxury, to Security side welcome at the airport (Austin, TX).

Clarity would be greatly apreciated.
Best,
Brad
Old Aug 9, 2012, 3:07 pm

I'm not quite sure I understand your question. Are you currently Executive and anticipate becoming Executive Elite this year? If so, Executive Elite doesn't really have much more benefits than "regular" Executive - you earn a free rental day 1 rental credit sooner - FBO pick up / drop off (for a fee), ability to use the banked free days for any class car.

What you hear is for VIP level (which is invitation only - unpublished - and primarily limited to high level executives or those that can direct significant business to National). Of the forum members, I think our one VIP level member has continuous rental from National for like 5 years.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 3:32 pm

I'm not sure if this was asked before, but when I use a free day how do I get coverage since I'm not using my CC or my company rate that includes ldw? I would have to pay the 29 bucks or so for ldw?
Old Aug 9, 2012, 4:23 pm

Correct about the CDW. Free day = no credit card transaction fee = no credit card-provided insurance.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
Correct about the CDW. Free day = no credit card transaction fee = no credit card-provided insurance.
This is if your entire rental is free days - not if one day is free and one or more is paid.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 5:56 pm

So if I use one free + one paid with CC than it will be covered by the CC insurance ?
Old Aug 9, 2012, 6:37 pm

Programs: AC SE, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by powermax
I'm not sure if this was asked before, but when I use a free day how do I get coverage since I'm not using my CC or my company rate that includes ldw? I would have to pay the 29 bucks or so for ldw?
If you're entitled to use your company rate (code) for your own use, you can still use it when you use a free day.

Ron.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 6:55 pm

Thx Ron, Peteropny and Auto Ent. that's all I needed to know. I have a couple of free days to use and I always thought that I would have to pay ldw. I have a few one way rentals coming.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 7:36 pm

Yes, the most expensive one-ways you can find are the best use of free days, of any kind, especially if you have to pay the taxable CDW.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 12:02 pm

Is there anyway to use two coupons at the same time while making a reservation? Thx
Old Aug 11, 2012, 12:06 pm

Programs: AC SE, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by powermax
Is there anyway to use two coupons at the same time while making a reservation? Thx
You can use up to 3 'one two free' coupon codes (free days). You cannot use a $ off coupon and an upgrade coupon (stacking) or use any coupon with a banked free day.

Ron.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 2:33 pm

Thx Ron. I have a weekly rental in YYZ coming and I for some reason the rates are quite high. I was trying to use two discount coupons. I tips to get the best rates on a weekly rental? I usually rent for a single day or weekends.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.