Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New mileage record

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2009, 6:36 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Originally Posted by soitgoes
How is a car with 25,000 miles in it a car with "one foot in the grave"?
Have we come to think of everything as disposable?
It's not that I think cars are disposable like razor blades or $10 toasters. Do a search for "rental car" on Youtube and you'll get a pretty clear idea of the kind of life a rental leads in that short 25k. Even if it's not abused outright, they often have their service schedules missed and are driven by people who don't consider things like letting the car warm up, using premium fuel where required, etc. Plus the 25k mark is usually where brakes and tires have to be done, so if it hasn't been done at that point they're likely down to the minimum levels.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by Tuneman1984
It's not that I think cars are disposable like razor blades or $10 toasters. Do a search for "rental car" on Youtube and you'll get a pretty clear idea of the kind of life a rental leads in that short 25k.
I just did a youtube search. That's terrible! I can't believe people trash rental cars like that.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drzoidberg
I just did a youtube search. That's terrible! I can't believe people trash rental cars like that.
Me too. I was shocked.

When I bought my last car, I considered some used, former rental cars. I will no longer ever consider such an option.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 7:31 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Originally Posted by drzoidberg
Originally Posted by soitgoes
Me too. I was shocked.

When I bought my last car, I considered some used, former rental cars. I will no longer ever consider such an option.
Happy to be of service. I mean, if I get something I haven't driven before, I'll usually give it a boot up to 60 to see how quick it is, but there's a fine line between that and what gets on Youtube... So now you see my concern with driving a higher mileage rental car.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.