Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at MSP

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2012, 2:31 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, Delta FO, SPG Gold, ICH Plat, Hilton Silver, National Exec, Avis Pref
Executive Selection this morning at MSP (Lindbergh) had the usual armada of Malibus, Impalas, Dodge minivans, etc...all pretty stripped down inside. There was also a single 4-dr Dodge Ram pickup that I chose, just to do something a little different this time.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 4:04 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, Delta FO, SPG Gold, ICH Plat, Hilton Silver, National Exec, Avis Pref
Just a follow up, they had a bunch of Chevy 1500 trucks in the Exec aisle when I returned my rental.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 5:38 pm

Just a quick update: there have been major changes here since my last visit a few months ago. The Executve selection has taken over another half aisle, and the Emerald Aisle has also gained some space and been mostly moved another aisle over. Finally, there are now distinct "reserve" areas for all classes, labeled for Alamo, and a new "VIP section" near the doors.

Today around 4pm, the aisle and ES looked nearly identical. TONS of Impalas, lots of new Altimas, some new malibus, including one LTZ (which I almost took). On the way out I saw an SRX and Edge with FL plates at the end of the AISLE. I checked, and they were locked with no keys, don't know why they were there..

The only SUV on either aisle was one Captiva, which was unusual for MSP. There were also a few Silverados on both aisles.

I ended up asking nicely for a Terrain in the SUV aisle, and was allowed to take it. It is only an SLE, but it has 1000 miles and is pretty nice for the weekend. It of course has no XM..
Old Dec 28, 2012, 9:15 pm

Also wanted to mention that the controversial "Premium Selection" self-upgrade section with the pre-priced upgrade tagged cars is now GONE. It has been replaced by the ever mysterious VIP section.

Does anyone else wonder if National will ever set out any official guidelines for what the VIP section actually IS, and how one can actually reserve a car from it?

I know some stations put their cars for Emerald VIP's in this section, but that SMALL group of customers cannot command a 10 spot section. It is worth noting that no cars in this section were marked as "reserved". There was a number of G37x's, an ATS, 300c, and XC60 in the VIP.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 6:20 pm

Picked up an hour ago. Lot overflowing with cars, with the small exec aisle filled with stacked overflow cars. Aisle and Exec full with the usual. VIP had an XC60 for $25 upgrade, Escalade for $50, and a Maxima. Alamo Premium had another XC60 and a Genesis. Only "large" SUV on Exec was a lone Explorer Limited with 9000 miles. While I was contemplating that I spotted a Camaro. It turned out to be a 2013 1LT with 300 miles on it, and was parked in the EMERALD AISLE. I snagged it.

Mentioned to the attendant on the way out that I've NEVER seen a car like that on the aisle here before and he commented that it should not have been there, and it was my lucky day!

The roof is too low, but visibility isn't as horrible as I had assumed it to be from sitting in one a few times at car shows.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 5:07 pm

Just returned the Camaro. Walking through saw nothing but the usual on either aisle. However, there was another gray Camaro on the Aisle, with a number of employees surrounding it. I heard them arguing as the agent processed my return. I wonder if the manager decided that the EA wasn't a good place for this vehicle!?!

It boggles my mind that they try and upswell suburbans and escalades for $50 a day here, but they won't park sports cars in the upgrade area.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 8:18 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by Coastercameron
Just returned the Camaro. Walking through saw nothing but the usual on either aisle. However, there was another gray Camaro on the Aisle, with a number of employees surrounding it. I heard them arguing as the agent processed my return. I wonder if the manager decided that the EA wasn't a good place for this vehicle!?!

It boggles my mind that they try and upswell suburbans and escalades for $50 a day here, but they won't park sports cars in the upgrade area.
Sports cars in the winter in MSP isn't really a good combo.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 9:57 am

Bah! You can hardly call this winter right now. It is over 20 degrees and there is no fresh snow on the roads. Might as well be summer! ;-)
Old Jan 11, 2013, 5:22 pm

Very odd experience here tonight... Got up the escalators and the place was PACKED with cars. Only problem was they had the main floor filled with rows and rows of cars waiting to be cleaned. They only had half of the ES and EA's open, with those restricted areas only having about 20 rentable cars. After you subtracted Impalas and 2012 Malibus, it left you with about 10. Everything I looked at was VERY high mileage. There were 2 Escape SEL's in Exec that were both 6+ months old (no sat radio). I should have just taken one of them and called it a day, but I decided to ask the manager who was talking with the greeter if I could have an easily accessible Explorer Limited from one of the rows (it looked clean). He told me that they were dirty and not in inventory and walked me around the lot while having a VERY friendly conversation with me. He said that they had hardly any reservations tomorrow, and were in the process of moving lots of cars from downstairs to the off-site facility, so nothing would be coming up.

I pondered a little bit more, but every car I got in seemed to have 16-19k miles! I eventually asked him if I could take one of the Taurus Limiteds they had in the Alamo area. He obliged, but unfortunately for me what I received is a 9 month old, 17,000 mile car that pulls to the left if you take your hands off the wheel. Maybe I'll go trade it in tomorrow...

I guess as always; you win some you lose some. I just don't understand why they would go to the trouble of moving cars off-site when the main level was nearly empty of "clean" cars. Also, big props to that manager, as even though I got a dud in the end; he was SUPER nice and helpful, not something I've seen often here.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 5:02 pm

Just dropped off my Taurus. Selection was blander than bland tonight. Mostly Impalas and Camrys. Only SUV on either aisle was a Captiva. Upgrade section had an escalade and a CTS with WI plates. Nicely played charging an upgrade on a licensee's car.. Lol
Old Jan 25, 2013, 6:09 pm

I'll talk to myself some more...

LAST Friday I picked up, and they had a slightly better selection than usual lately. A couple small SUVs, nothing I was interested in besides a Terrain SLT with expired XM. Towards the end of the aisle there were a pair of Genesis(es). I took one that had about 2800 miles and was excellent as I expected. They were in the process of stacking dirty cars throughout the seconary aisles when I picked up.

At return on Monday evening place was full of cars (that you could actually rent). Nothing spectacular besides a pair of Yukons, a pair of Challengers, and more Camaros on the ES.

THIS FRIDAY, about an hour ago, headed up along with a LARGE amount of arriving passengers. Got to the aisle and found the secondary aisles already cleared out and one already packed full of dirty cars. There was no discernible difference in vehicles between EA and ES, and the remaining aisle was about 75% full. I quickly made a lap before the horde of people got to the lot. Besides the usual there was a Venza and RAV4 on the aisle (never seen either one here before), a locked Genesis, a Terrain SLT, a Ford Flex SEL and an Edge Limited. I ended up taking the Edge Limited. It has 14,000 miles on it and Missouri plates. It is BARELY hanging onto it's Sirius subscription and the paperwork shows it was registered on 7/1/12. So far it is excellent as always. I FINALLY scored a Ford with the Sony sound system, and it has lived up to the hype so far! Terrific balance and clarity!

Also, the Edge showed 7/8th of a tank of gas when I got in and started it up. I told the gate agent, and he gave me a $10 credit and instructed me to return it full as usual. Oddly, within 2 miles of the airport the gauge was reading ABOVE full. Never experienced this in a Ford.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 8:00 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by Coastercameron
I'll talk to myself some more....
Now you know how I feel about the PSP thread
Old Jan 26, 2013, 8:29 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by peteropny
Now you know how I feel about the PSP thread
And I with DTW and BWI
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:28 am

Programs: National Executive Elite, Avis Chairmans Club, Hertz Presidents Circle
And me with SGU!
Old Jan 27, 2013, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Did a quick weekend rental to round out 1-2-Free. It has been a while since I have rented in the hometown and am pleased with the new signage and lighting in the garage. ^

Shopped the Executive section as I am being demoted for a few months. First pick was a Ford Edge, Sirius was active but the car would not move in reverse so I moved on. Next temptation was a blue Mustang convertible, first convertible I have seen at MSP and it occurs in January. Ended up taking a Passat out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.