Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Cars at MSY Emerald / Exec (New Orleans Airport)

Old Dec 19, 2008, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Nat'l EE.

I've benefitted greatly from the ride reports and indexes so I thought I would ry to begin returning the love.

Upon returning to the National lot I had a chance to notice what was available.

Exec: Loaded Taurus, an Altima (didn't see trim) new Maxima, 2 Impalas, a Dodge Nitro and the Malibu LTZ (V6 I assume since it had dual exhaust. Every option but Nav) I returned.

Emerald: Malibu base models at least 3, PT cruiser, a fusion and a couple base Impalas
Old Dec 19, 2008, 8:45 pm

Thanks fadeinblue! Every index location helps.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 1:41 am

I can add my own recent experience picking up from this National location recently. I didn't really notice what was in the EA (a glance appeared to indicate a good selection of sedans and a few SUVs), but the ES was chock-a-block with great selection. Many new cars, lots of choice, and most of them seemed well-equipped (e.g. sunroof, leather). I saw examples of the Maxima, Avalon, new Taurus, Lucerne, Edge, Flex, new Malibu, and a couple of other models.

Plus, the service was really friendly all around.

^^
Old Dec 24, 2008, 9:39 am

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by SFO UA Flyer
I can add my own recent experience picking up from this National location recently. I didn't really notice what was in the EA (a glance appeared to indicate a good selection of sedans and a few SUVs), but the ES was chock-a-block with great selection. Many new cars, lots of choice, and most of them seemed well-equipped (e.g. sunroof, leather). I saw examples of the Maxima, Avalon, new Taurus, Lucerne, Edge, Flex, new Malibu, and a couple of other models.

Plus, the service was really friendly all around.

^^
Well, when I rented there last month the cars in the EA were pretty disappointing and somewhat dirty.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 11:54 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA
I rented EA at MSY yesterday (12/26). There were *no* cars, even for people with reservations. We arrived at the rental location at 2pm, there were about 12 people on the waiting list ahead of us. 3 were waiting for SUVs or minivans, so we were able to jump ahead of them on line - we still waited about 45 minutes.

The counter people were trying to get cars from other Alamo & National locations (downtown, Slidell, Baton Rouge), but there were none to be had

The attendant told us this is happens more often than not. We met a friend in Lafayette who told us he had the same experience just before Thanksgiving.

(I also checked other agencies - there were no available cars at Avis, Hertz, or Budget. Enterprise had cars, but there were 40 people on line at the airport counter.)
Old Dec 27, 2008, 12:32 am

Programs: CO Plat, Nat'l EE, AMEX Plat
I rent at MSY regularly - 6 rentals totaling 46 days since October 1.

All was well until Gustav and then Ike when MSY, as well as everyplace else along the coast was stripped of cars by Houston. It's been pretty slim pickings since then with high mileage (25k +) the norm.

Last week I needed a minivan and got a Dodge off the EA with 570 miles. As a regular renter, I know many of the employees and can tell you that they wish they had more and better as well.

MSY has been off the weekly special list since this year's storms and the cost of renting there has increased dramatically, although it's still the best buy.

Last edited by NOLAlady; Dec 27, 2008 at 12:33 am Reason: spelling
Old Oct 15, 2009, 1:50 pm

Thread bump...

Going to be renting from MSY the first week of November (picking up on Sunday night @ 12AM).

Anyone have any recent ES experiences?

Oh, and do you really have to stop at the counter when picking up late at night?? It wouldn't give me ES since I'm picking up at midnight.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
I rent at MSY once or twice a month, usually arriving Monday evenings. The selection has really been awful lately. Last trip, two weeks ago, I arrived to find a nice selection of Aveos, Cobalts, and a Yaris and Corolla or two in the Executive Aisle. I opted for the lone Sonata on the Executive Aisle, which after I started driving it, I realized they had marked the window that it had several maintenance concerns. I pulled into an empty space on the Emerald Aisle, got out, looked over a pretty blah selection of base model Impalas, an Amanti with a visibly low tire and locked doors, and picked another Sonata. This one had an XM antenna and sunroof, and I hoped it would have active XM, but like most other cars I've rented the last few months, it wasn't active.

Overall National's selection has really sucked lately, at all airports I regularly rent from (IAH, MSY, LAX). MSY has been the worst though. That station is particularly bad about having a lousy selection, and not taking good care of the cars.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 4:38 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, HH Diamond, MR Lifetime Plat/Titanium, National Exec Elite
Arrived October 26 about 9PM and there were a couple of trucks and several Chargers in the Executive Selection. I grabbed the lone Maxima (2009 with 18,000 miles on the clock).

Very nice ride for my drive to Baton Rouge and back.

Shuttle van was packed with people and all of the emerald/executive were stuffed in the back, the non-emeralds were standing and blocking the door - oblivious that the people in the back needed to get off......travel would not be so bad if it weren't for the people
Old Nov 3, 2009, 1:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA PP, Hyatt DM, Marriott SE, SPG Gold
Have done several rentals here; IMHO it's about the worst Nat'l lot in the system. My experience has been that you can choose from a variety of minivans, but unless you're timing is exceptional, you WILL leave in a minivan. The driver usually forgets to drop off executive/emeralds in the back, and when you go back there you'll see one or two nice cars that look tempting, but after you get your luggage in you'll see "no keys" scrawled somewhere non-obvious. If you're staying in the quarter you don't need a car anyway so just get a cab.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K (woohoo), SPG Gold, HH Diamond, MR Silver, Avis Worst, National Exec Elite; Destinations Many
Updates???

Anyone rent from MSY lately? Gonna be down there next week. Rented a full size - will have a few people with golf clubs so I am hoping some sort of SUV will be available.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 1K (woohoo), SPG Gold, HH Diamond, MR Silver, Avis Worst, National Exec Elite; Destinations Many
March 17th Update

Rented from MSY on March 17th. EE was full of SUV's. I took a Tahoe (3K miles), but they also had Pick Up Trucks, Minivans...pretty much anything that you wanted - if you like big cars
Old Jul 11, 2011, 8:26 am

Headed to MSY

may be too late to post, but headed to MSY tomorrow. Any idea if these guys have gotten their acts together?

I'll report on what I see when I get there. Reserved a midsize, hope the EA has something good.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 8:53 am

Programs: DL, AA, UA
Originally Posted by ryanduck
may be too late to post, but headed to MSY tomorrow. Any idea if these guys have gotten their acts together?

I'll report on what I see when I get there. Reserved a midsize, hope the EA has something good.
Last time I was there (in May), they had lots of different Fords (pickups, Focus, Taurus, MXK), brand new Jeep Cherokees, Dodge Challengers, Hyundais, and Kias. Time before that (Xmas) they also had some VW CCs and Tiguans, and Mercedes Cs. Biggest problem for me was I couldn't make up my mind.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by jg70124
Last time I was there (in May), they had lots of different Fords (pickups, Focus, Taurus, MXK), brand new Jeep Cherokees, Dodge Challengers, Hyundais, and Kias. Time before that (Xmas) they also had some VW CCs and Tiguans, and Mercedes Cs. Biggest problem for me was I couldn't make up my mind.
sounds like they've gotten better, now I'm excited!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.