Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at LIH

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
End of the month, so hoping the new cars will have arrived by then. Vividly recall paying for an SUV to get to Polihale once, turns out everyone else made it in sedans just fine...
Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:15 pm

Ah nice, enjoy your trip! Yeah when November/December rolled around, HNL started getting new 2018 models, which seems to be a pattern. So with LIH, if they are a bit delayed in getting new cars, certainly by end of 6/2018 I would think they will have some 2018s already on there.
msp3 likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by ginmqi
Very unlikely IMO. LIH, though I don't frequent there, is fairly small and as a popular tourist destination I imagine minivans are going to be fairly popular (ie, see my post above about a guy reserving FOUR minivans).
Usually EA aisle will be midsize sedans (sometimes fullsize sedans) and smaller SUV/crossovers and occasional pickups. I've rarely seen EA being stocked with minivans.

I've seen Pacifica/Siennas at the HNL location but only rarely and this was at the ES aisle, not the EA.

You can always ask for an upgrade at the location but they may sell out (as they do for the Wranglers on many days)
Good call. I ended up renting Minivan from Alamo and MVs seem to be flying off from the parking lot. Most of them were Dodge Grands and only 1 of them was Chrysler Town and Country.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 6:46 pm

Good experience to report, new convertibles are here! These are Mustangs, and there were 2 available when I arrived. One was just prepped to go for me in the area, and there was an even newer looking blue one sitting in the corner.

Something that bothers me slightly is just behind the driver's side window, it does not completely close (a small triangular gap) when the top is up. I've observed this in pre-facelifted current-gen Mustangs before as well on previous occasions. Other than that, Apple CarPlay was very helpful and made Ford Sync actually tolerable.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:34 pm

I wonder if it's a production/quality issue or what....could be concerning given if it rains and water leaks through....especially if you're going to be on a wetter side of Kauai.

I might have to make another jaunt out to LIH....
Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:47 pm

Yeah I think so as well. It wasn't big enough to cause the inside to get wet (in the light rain I experienced). I'm just not sure if Ford cares anymore given they want to give up on cars altogether and only make trucks & SUVs. Somehow this all feels very familiar like the 1990s right before gas prices exploded up until the recession...

Last edited by msp3; Jun 28, 2018 at 12:23 am
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:26 pm

Programs: WN A-list., Marriott Plat, National EX, UA Silver
1/7 - Executive: 1 Frontier, few smaller basic sedans, nothing not worthy. No SUV's or min vans at all. The lot attendance was unhelpful when I ask if he could find something it the back for a loyal customer.

Did a car swap a few day later - Executive: 4 Frontiers, 6 midsize sedans, 3 mini vans, 2 midsize SUV's. There as a nice Wrangler by the side but would only offer it if I payed an upgrade fee.

For some reason this location has the slowest checkout of any National I have visited. This happened on both time I picked up the car and I don't understand the reason for it. Overall below average experience and would consider other options before renting at this location again. Might have just been busy and bad luck but I still think the agents could been more willing to help.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: Alaska MM, AA MM, BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
flyguy6 - What time of day/day of week did you originally show up? Just curious.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Klrduks
flyguy6 - What time of day/day of week did you originally show up? Just curious.
About 1pm local time.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by flyguy6
1/7 - Executive: 1 Frontier, few smaller basic sedans, nothing not worthy. No SUV's or min vans at all. The lot attendance was unhelpful when I ask if he could find something it the back for a loyal customer.

Did a car swap a few day later - Executive: 4 Frontiers, 6 midsize sedans, 3 mini vans, 2 midsize SUV's. There as a nice Wrangler by the side but would only offer it if I payed an upgrade fee.

For some reason this location has the slowest checkout of any National I have visited. This happened on both time I picked up the car and I don't understand the reason for it. Overall below average experience and would consider other options before renting at this location again. Might have just been busy and bad luck but I still think the agents could been more willing to help.
Yeah I've been to LIH a couple times recently. Certainly not the largest or best service. Given that it is a tiny, rural island...somewhat understandable.

I remember a waiter at a restaurant in Kauai who told us that on that island people work at two speeds: slow and slower.

But thankfully the best part of traveling to Kauai is the amazing scenery and as it has been posted before....an incredible rental car service is likely not something of a highlight after a trip there.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:53 pm

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
Originally Posted by ginmqi
Yeah I've been to LIH a couple times recently. Certainly not the largest or best service. Given that it is a tiny, rural island...somewhat understandable.
Their fleet is relatively small, so I would imagine that they would have to manage what they have a lot closer than larger locations. Give away too many SUVs and minivans to Exec line renters and you’ll be short when customers who are paying (or would be willing to pay) for those specific classes arrive to pick up their vehicles.

A reservation off the Exec line is not a guarantee of an SUV or minivan, and those are usually in high demand, so I usually reserve the specific class I need when I go to Lihue if it’s important to me (e.g. if I need to carry 6 people).
cawhite and ginmqi like this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by qs933

Their fleet is relatively small, so I would imagine that they would have to manage what they have a lot closer than larger locations. Give away too many SUVs and minivans to Exec line renters and you’ll be short when customers who are paying (or would be willing to pay) for those specific classes arrive to pick up their vehicles.

A reservation off the Exec line is not a guarantee of an SUV or minivan, and those are usually in high demand, so I usually reserve the specific class I need when I go to Lihue if it’s important to me (e.g. if I need to carry 6 people).
I would have been happy with an SUV, mini van or full size truck. At most location this not an unreasonable expectation. Since I am typically paying a premium to use the Executive aisle vs renting though Avis or Costco and have top status I expect to get a decent car that fits my needs.

Overall I like National but when I am not traveling for work, I am paying out of my own pocket and am not limit by travel policies they are often not very price competitive unless I am getting a nice upgrade from the Executive aisle. In retrospect I could have gotten an Intermediate SUV from Avis for only $10 more vs an intermediate car from National.

Joonydell likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 12:23 am

Picked up on 6/5 around noon.

ES/EA had:
2x Dodge Caravan
1x Chrysler 300
1x Hyundai SUV (probably Kona)
3x Altima
2x Malibu
1x Nissan Rogue (which I took)
Klrduks likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: Alaska MM, AA MM, BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Great Experience 7/14

I reserved 2 cars (Emerald Exec) and was curious what would be available. There were 3 mainland flights landing within 20 minutes of each other so 2 in our party quickly went directly to the shuttle and let the rest get the luggage. (Arrived 10:20 am) We were the only ones in the shuttle and there were many vehicles in the aisle. We chose 2 Nissan Pathfinders. The one I was driving had only 1,600 miles. It was a great experience!!
Old Mar 22, 2021, 6:06 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Any recent experiences at LIH? I am going in May and have a Luxury reserved so hoping for something decent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.