Cars at LIH

Old Jun 26, 2017, 6:53 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, National ES, Air Kettle
Went this weekend. Unfortunately the selection was pretty bad. In ES there were:

-Camry
-2xJeep Patriot
-2xHyundai Santa Fe "Sport"
-Altima.

Spoke with the manager and they were fully booked with larger SUV's until later in the week so he couldn't pull out any of those. Offered a RAM or F150 but considering luggage and parking issues I opted for the Santa Fe Sport AWD.

Don't know why they call it Sport as it was painfully sluggish with its 4-cylinder 185HP engine, especially up the canyon roads. It was a low level trim with cloth seats and no sunroof. On the plus side it did have a backup cam and good trunk space.

Next time I will book the class I want or if Hertz gets an Ultimate Choice there, check them out.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 7:25 am

Got back some time ago. While the island population is 70k, the traffic in Kapaa/Lihue can be a bit discouraging at times. In my initial estimates, I had thought the North Shore was closer and something that could be done on a whim. And to some extent that is true, though the traffic can really drag that process out. And to reach Tunnels from Poipu resorts, you have a 80 minute drive in front of you.

Went with a 4dr Wrangler. Glad we did. Seen a lot of Mustangs with luggage riding in the backseats and the top down, as the convertibles had not enough trunk space to fit much luggage. Not to mention the potholes that could tear a bumper off.

We took the 2 front panels off in our Wrangler, and enjoyed that quite a bit.

Also, this is the first time I have seen National Car Rental produce a magazine specifically for a location. They have a magazine called DRIVE, that is handed to guests when they checkout of the rental lot. The magazine is curated specifically for the island of Kauai, and everything you can see/do. It is an actual magazine, at 72 pages in length. You could have practically skipped all planning and reading prior to arriving, and just read this magazine, and got the cliff notes version of it all. Where the farmers markets are on what days, what the good restaurants are on each side, what the good beaches are, etc.

National Executive Members will take note that the shuttle driver will call ahead when you get on the bus at the airport, and have the staff bring your rental out. IME, all 4 times I went to the National location, the lot was empty, and people were being hand delivered vehicles brought from elsewhere.

Originally Posted by Twixboy
Some comments about your comments for factory81:

1) Most visitors don't realize how few people there are here. I think we just cracked 70k population this year island-wide. Most towns only have about 2,000 residents.

2) If you're coming with your SO - just the 2 of you - a convertible should be fine. You can throw the luggage in the back seat. But keep in mind most parking lots are rough dirt lots and the terrain is very hilly and uneven. You'll be bottoming out a lot if you plan on doing a lot of hiking and other outdoor activities. There are several hikes and beaches that are only accessible by SUV so plan ahead if you decide to rent a convertible. You'll be fine if you stick to the popular tourist stuff like the PAVED roads in Waimea Canyon, the lifeguarded beaches, and don't venture too far off the highway.

True story:
I rented a Camaro the first time I arrived on the island. I bottomed out on my own driveway as I pulled into my new house for the first time. After that I said never again!
Old Sep 1, 2017, 8:06 pm

Programs: Avis CHM, Hertz Plat, National EE, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Le Club Plat, CX Gold
Just went through LIH. Quick shuttle ride to the just-off airport location.

If if you're planning to rent a convertible, look elsewhere. The place is loaded with 2 and 3 year old base model Camero's and Mustangs. We're taking pre-redesign Mustangs with 35-50k miles and beat up/stained interiors. Staff mentioned they won't be getting new convertibles until early 2018.

The ES had a few uptrim Altimas, Impalas, and lower end Jeeps. EA was about the same.

If you're burning EE free days, book a Full-Size or Premium SUV and then offer to walk with the agent to the lot directly to the right of the ES/EA where they keep all the convertibles and larger SUVs. Try and snag a low mileage one. They have a mix of seasoned and newer models including Suburban LTs and Expedition Limiteds. Don't let them bring one around for you!
ginmqi likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 10:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond. National Biz Exec. AMX Plat. CSR. Bonvoy Brilliant. Delta Reserve.
Got in to Emerald and Executive area only to find a bunch of small Nissan cars, 2 Jeep Patriots, 2 Jeep Compass and a couple of Chevy Impalas in the Executive. Very disappointing. Jumped into a Jeep Compass with 13k miles and dirty. I was staying on the other side of the island so I didn't want to come back just to swap cars.

When I dropped it off, there was only a Nissan Rogue and Nissan Frontier in Executive. But a TON of cars were in the line for return.

Overall, not impressed with the "Emerald Aisle" location.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 11:14 pm

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
Originally Posted by pugsley21
Overall, not impressed with the "Emerald Aisle" location.
Unfortunately, its a tiny island with a tiny fleet. Ive only rented a couple of times in recent years and both times they were higher mileage, well-worn samples.

There are lots of interesting things to do on a Kauai, but renting a car isnt one of them.
ginmqi likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:52 am

I think it should be restated again, that this is a relatively under-developed (compared to the rest of the heavily visited, and more developed Hawaiian islands) island. The fleet here is finite and extremely limited. This is not a large parking garage like structure, with rows of cars, and dozens more to pull from inventory. Just look at it on any mapping site.

Additional food for thought:

There are no BMW, Audi, Jaguar, Mercedes, Infiniti, etc dealerships on the islands. AKA, there are no ways to get cars serviced under warranty by authorized repair centers. As a result, you will find an extremely small amount of these brands on the roads. So even if you used a rental service like Turo Car Rental, you can see there are no exotic cars to rent. And of course, I doubt Hertz, National, or any car company has an actual exotic fleet. I don't even know if there were Cadillac or Lincolns on the road.

As far as the dirt in the vehicles; the island has a rusty red dirt will stain practically anything it seems. Even after you have returned home, washed your clothes multiple times, the stains will still be there. I would wager that tourists like us, are just tracking this red dirt in the vehicles, and any car with a light color interior will show the stain horribly. As a result, I assume National Car Rental fights a daily battle with vehicles stained red like crazy inside.
ginmqi likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 9:42 pm

A quick thanks to all those who contributed to this small but very unique thread/airport location.

I'll likely be making a jaunt out there to LIH here soon. Looks like car availability is better in early morning vs late evening.

Looking to book a fullsize SUV, which right now for the dates are not that much more than the fullsize rate. The website shows a Tahoe, and I assume it does have the 4WD?
Old Nov 16, 2017, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by lardiop
Just went through LIH. Quick shuttle ride to the just-off airport location.

If if you're planning to rent a convertible, look elsewhere. The place is loaded with 2 and 3 year old base model Camero's and Mustangs. We're taking pre-redesign Mustangs with 35-50k miles and beat up/stained interiors. Staff mentioned they won't be getting new convertibles until early 2018.

The ES had a few uptrim Altimas, Impalas, and lower end Jeeps. EA was about the same.

If you're burning EE free days, book a Full-Size or Premium SUV and then offer to walk with the agent to the lot directly to the right of the ES/EA where they keep all the convertibles and larger SUVs. Try and snag a low mileage one. They have a mix of seasoned and newer models including Suburban LTs and Expedition Limiteds. Don't let them bring one around for you!
GREAT tip. Will definitely keep this in mind. Booked a fullsize SUV for next weekend and will be great if I can get a Expedition Limited or a Yukon. Will give update once I arrive.

Originally Posted by factory81
Also, this is the first time I have seen National Car Rental produce a magazine specifically for a location. They have a magazine called DRIVE, that is handed to guests when they checkout of the rental lot. The magazine is curated specifically for the island of Kauai, and everything you can see/do. It is an actual magazine, at 72 pages in length. You could have practically skipped all planning and reading prior to arriving, and just read this magazine, and got the cliff notes version of it all. Where the farmers markets are on what days, what the good restaurants are on each side, what the good beaches are, etc.

National Executive Members will take note that the shuttle driver will call ahead when you get on the bus at the airport, and have the staff bring your rental out. IME, all 4 times I went to the National location, the lot was empty, and people were being hand delivered vehicles brought from elsewhere.
They have the DRIVE magazines for Hawai'i, Oahu and I presume Maui as well. For Hawaii, I've been using Andrew Doughty's Revealed series and it is far superior to any other guides/books I've seen. Highly recommended for your next to the islands!

Though to your other point, it seems like busy days they may have to hand out cars instead of the more pick and choose. Another poster mentioned you can walk with the agent to pick from the back (if you have a higher level SUV reservation) to pick a nicer model....which I definitely hope can be done....

Originally Posted by Twixboy
I got a Wrangler from ES about 2 weeks ago and wasn't impressed. It had about 9,000 miles, but felt like it had 50,000. Beat up interior, squeaks, and rattles. Scratched up roof from people taking it on and off and just throwing it aside wherever they can find space on their hotel balcony or lanai. Wranglers get beat up by the tourists so bad on this island. I don't think you'll find any Wranglers on Friday and Saturday because they are all reserved. Your best shot at finding one in EA/ES is mid-week.
No surprise there. Wranglers that National carries are the basic Sport trims (they do have Saharas sprinkled in, though not sure about the Kauai location) and Wranglers are not known for their interior quality. I just drove a basically brand new Wrangler from national last week that had 300 miles and I've heard a couple squeaks already during that trip.

Plus with people taking it to all kinds of places...the squeaks/rattles likely won't subside. The top scratches may also be from people renting kayaks/boards that get's strapped on top.

I'll be there next week and looks like there's some great kayaking destinations. I'll be renting them for sure. Unfortunately it's winter time so looks like the ocean kayak along the na pali coast is gonna be impossible!

Last edited by ginmqi; Nov 16, 2017 at 10:30 am
Old Nov 28, 2017, 5:50 pm

Thursday at 230pm (Thanksgiving day)
Quite busy as others have noted around this time of day.
Limited selection in the EA/ES aisles. Nissan Altimas, Hyundai Elantras, Nissan Frontier, Ford Escape, and a Subaru wagon, a smaller Chevy SUV and a Ford Fusion IIRC.

The two EA members on the shuttle were called called via radio to the location ahead of time. The other guy had 4 mini vans reserved. I had a Fullsize SUV. Getting there, they had a Suburban LT waiting for me already pulled up. Place was moderately busy and it looked like there was no chance to talk into better selection as there was another guy with a Mustang convertible reservation pulled up behind me. Due to the small lot, I had to get going to prevent delay of incoming cars/passengers

The Suburban LT definitely is a giant of a car, the longer wheelbase is definitely felt over even a GMC Yukon (based on the shorter Tahoe) I drove over on the Big Island, not as easy to manuver around parking spots. Getting a kayak on and off the roof was a nice stretch/exercise.

Coming back and exchanged with a Wrangler on my last day, manager was nice and friendly. Sunday at 2pm - exchanging...basically same selection as thursday except they also had a Ram 1500 as well.

And as has already been posted before, Kauai is an amazing place and certainly scoring a sweet car wasn't on my list of expectations.

I hope to be back soon! Way too much to see and experience at this great place.
Old May 10, 2018, 8:54 pm

I would like to book a minivan. With Executive status, if I reserve a midsize car, would I have access to Minivans in EA?
Old May 11, 2018, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by BenCali
I would like to book a minivan. With Executive status, if I reserve a midsize car, would I have access to Minivans in EA?
Very unlikely IMO. LIH, though I don't frequent there, is fairly small and as a popular tourist destination I imagine minivans are going to be fairly popular (ie, see my post above about a guy reserving FOUR minivans).
Usually EA aisle will be midsize sedans (sometimes fullsize sedans) and smaller SUV/crossovers and occasional pickups. I've rarely seen EA being stocked with minivans.

I've seen Pacifica/Siennas at the HNL location but only rarely and this was at the ES aisle, not the EA.

You can always ask for an upgrade at the location but they may sell out (as they do for the Wranglers on many days)
Old May 11, 2018, 8:38 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
It's a small lot on an island that is seeing record tourist numbers right now. Under current conditions, I'd book what you need at this point. I've had some nice upgrades here, but they can't be counted on if you really need the space.
Old May 29, 2018, 4:52 pm

5/24 Thu afternoon pickup, gave name to shuttle driver and was greeted in the lot and offered selection of anything in the lot or upgrade to convertible/Jeep Wrangler.

In the small lot, ES has a minivan, a Frontier pickup, some random regular sedans. ES has a 300, a Ford fusion, a Santa Fe, a maxima, took the 300.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by lardiop
Staff mentioned they won't be getting new convertibles until early 2018.
Am wondering if anyone has had a recent experience now that we're in "early" 2018... Just booked one and wondering if it'll be nice and new
Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by msp3
Am wondering if anyone has had a recent experience now that we're in "early" 2018... Just booked one and wondering if it'll be nice and new
Unfortunately not me. I've been to OGG/KOA/ITO more recently and not back to LIH since 2017. I may be planning for another weekend jaunt over there so it'll be good to hear of any feedback from recent experiences.

I'll be curious to see what selections they had over there now. When are you going?
msp3 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.