Cars at LIH

Old Apr 9, 2011, 8:33 am

Programs: AA Plat, Delta Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
I just rented from here last week. When I went out to the Emerald Aisle, there was a Chevy Impala (which we took), 2 Malibus, and what looked like a Town Car. When we returned the car, I saw a Chrysler 300 there. The Emerald select had a Nissan altima/maxima and a few other cars, but I don't remember what.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Any recent luxury experiences at LIH? Have EA reservation but might want to splurge. Sorta concerned that prior posts indicate no Emerald Booth and have to walk to exit booth to get keys if booking from Emerald Reserve. Still true at LIH?
Old Sep 22, 2011, 2:56 am

Programs: Programs: HA Plat - unhappy getting there, Emerald Exec Elite
Selection is never boring at LIH. Because the Gr.Hyatt, Marriott, Sheraton and St. Regis pack them in during the peak season, the pickings can be slim. They will however pull cars over from Enterprise or Alamo if needed. I'm Elite but notice that it's pretty much anything goes during busy periods. The workers go out of their way to help so I ask if they have something better over the fence (Enterprise).

Last week the National lot had an overflow of 2 new 4x4 Dodge Ram crew cabs, a surprise. A new Maxima, 300, a few Grand Marquis which is typical, Minivans, Jeep Wranglers, Sebrings. The selection continually changes. Earlier this year I rented an Xterra, Santa Fe, Escape xlt, Town car, Nitro, Traverse, Armada and Equinox. My fav rentals this year were a CTS, DTS, a black Tahoe and an Explorer with Bose. That Bose experience spoiled me for good!
Old Sep 26, 2011, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
LIH rented me a Towncar with no working headlights and turnsignals, didnt realize it until I reached Hanalei in the dark. Nice enough in handling the swap (they brought a car to SR Princeville) but was a scary experience for the whole family. They also charged for Luxury even though ended up with a dirty minivan.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 3:03 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
I am an Emerald member, but I rarely rent from National, so I don't understand how this 'emerald aisle/booth' thing works...

I don't usually care what kind of car I get as long as it drives, so I just reserved a compact for 4 days next weekend. But then I read that I need to reserve a midsize to get to pick any car in the lot when I arrive? Again, I don't really care what kind of car I get, but its only 15 bucks more to change my reservation, so if that means I may get a convertible I'll do it.

So my question is... should I bother paying the extra $15, or would I just be throwing away money since all these posts make it sound like there's never a selection anyway?

(we do arrive early Thursday afternoon though, so maybe there will be a lot of cars still?)
Old Oct 1, 2011, 3:17 pm

You can book any size to choose a car. The difference is from where. If you book a midsize, at an Emerald Aisle location, and you are a regular member, you choose a midsize or larger from the Emerald Aisle. If you book a compact, SUV, minivan, etc., you choose a car within your class from Emerald Reserve.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 5:57 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
You can book any size to choose a car. The difference is from where. If you book a midsize, at an Emerald Aisle location, and you are a regular member, you choose a midsize or larger from the Emerald Aisle. If you book a compact, SUV, minivan, etc., you choose a car within your class from Emerald Reserve.
LIH is a Emerald Aisle location - albeit a very small one.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by peteropny
LIH is a Emerald Aisle location - albeit a very small one.
So if I upgrade my res to midsize I can pick any car in the 'Emerald Aisle', but if I leave it as is I pick from a compact 'aisle' of cars? Is that how it works there?
Old Oct 1, 2011, 8:28 pm

Yes, at Aisle locations.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
Yes, at Aisle locations.
OK, thanks.

By the way, I got the best rate with the 5005467 United Transportation Union contract ID. Has there been any reported issues with this code?
Old Oct 25, 2011, 4:02 pm

Rented there on 10/8. Here's the key thing, I found - join EC. I reserved Midsize way back in July and never got a better rate any other time I tried, but also put down a 2PM pickup. I called to let them know I would be late and they said, "Oh, I see you are Emerald Club - no problem! We hold your reservation for 24 hours." Got to the airport, grabbed the shuttle, told the driver we needed the Aisle area. He radioed ahead to let the lot people know that we were coming. The woman running the lot said, "We don't have any midsize cars, so just choose anything you want." The lot is probably 40-50 stalls (mostly empty this late,) and the Aisle is 4 parking spots. Aisle had a Nitro, a Town Car and an Avenger with 3K on it that we took. The rest of the lot had several minivans, the Dodge 4dr pickups mentioned by bigislandjeff (and a Chevy as well), a Wrangler, a small Mazda (3?), a Charger that had over 30K and a Sebring that they were holding for a Convertible reservation. Had I known that my wife was going to have me drive down 1) several dirt roads at Koke'e to see private cabins she spent summertimes in as a child and 2) the hardpan dirt road to Maha'ulepu Beach for dinner at a family friiends' beach cabin, I would have insisted on the Jeep. Oh well, hope the catalytic converter is OK on the Avenger! Put over 800 miles on it. Oh yeah, stopped by the lot after a week because we had no more washer fluid, and saw either a Malibu or Impala and a 300 at the EA.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
I'll be there next week, and am hoping for a minivan or SUV on the Executive Aisle. It's looking pretty unlikely based on these reports. The 5 of us will fit in a car, but it's a tight fit (more so for the luggage).

We got a Lincoln Towncar with 14k miles last year, which I believe was the only thing bigger than an Impala on the lot at the time.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:31 am

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Got a Dodge Durango last week. Others I saw on the Executive Aisle: Plenty of Jeeps, small Ford SUVs (Escapes?), a convertible, and a couple Mustangs. There were other cars there, too. I didn't pay too close of attention to the Emerald Aisle, but I think it was mostly cars and one Ford Escape.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, HH Gold
We rented twice here recently, as Emerald Executive: a Ford Escape and a 4dr Jeep Wrangler hardtop (softtop was avail.)
Old Apr 5, 2012, 11:56 am

Rented recently at Lihue. ES had two vehicles: 2 door Jeep soft top and 4 door Jeep soft top. Was also offered Mazda 6. No other vehicles available. Sparse!

Took the Jeep 4 door, which was OK. Gas hog at $4.89/gallon though and 18 mpg.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.