Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at YVR

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2015, 2:07 am

Programs: Amex Plat, National EE, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, Fairmont Plat, HH Gold
Last week was all Taurus on the ES side, I asked if I could take the Mustang convertible parked on the Alamo side, but it was reserved so they offered me an A4 instead... Took that.

Today ES was bare, had 2 Taurus SEL, I asked if I could take the Cooper S Countryman on Alamo side, but they couldn't find the key, a Q50 pulled up and I asked for that, the manager agreed, except it had a maintenance light, so they couldn't rent it to me. They offered me a 2016 Maxima SE, with leather, navigation and full moon roof which I almost took, until a Volvo V60 T5 pulled into ES, and I took that instead.

After I left, I did a bit of research on the 300hp new maxima... Now almost wishing I took that instead of the Volvo. I got a 4 day road trip coming up, thinking of swinging by National in the morning tomorrow before I head out to see what's there, if anything worth swapping.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 10:51 am

I think that 2016 Maxima SE may have been the one I had this weekend. I've had the V60 as well before, and, as much as I hate to say it, I prefer the Maxima. It was very well equipped, comfortable and powerful. The nav system is a touch screen nav that was very easy to use.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 8:12 am

Has anyone been through YVR recently? I was planning to rent an SUV or crossover but couldn't reserve one. Alamo doesn't have any either. Last year at the same time (mid August) I picked a large SUV off the Exec Aisle but would prefer the guarantee of one if I can actually reserve it. Otherwise, may have to go with Avis.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Buster
I think that 2016 Maxima SE may have been the one I had this weekend. I've had the V60 as well before, and, as much as I hate to say it, I prefer the Maxima. It was very well equipped, comfortable and powerful. The nav system is a touch screen nav that was very easy to use.
Wow, nice to know they're ordering Maximas in SV? trim. The base Maxima S that plagued the Executive Aisle from years past still gives me nightmares...
Old Aug 9, 2015, 10:45 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Picked up on Saturday, when the station was sold out.

Two standouts on the Exec aisle. Cadillac SRX4, and Camaro Convertible. Grabbed the SRX. I also noticed the A4 and Mustangs (GT and ecoboost) off the aisle. In hindsight I should have asked if I could have the GT. Didn't know they had SRX at YVR. Would you get it on a PCAR reservation?
Old Aug 15, 2015, 10:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Has anyone run into a problem grabbing something really nice off the Exec Aisle on a one-way rental to Seattle and being turned back at the exit booth for something more modest, or a WA tagged car?
Old Sep 8, 2015, 12:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Report from YVR. Was unable to book a luxury car, so reserved a premium and hoped for something nice. On arrival, nothing in the aisle except a couple vanilla sedans and SUVs and no US tagged cars. When I asked inside, I was told YVR got rid of all of their luxury cars and no BMWs, Mercedes or any other true specialty cars would be available anymore.

I ended up taking a Taurus Limited model with working XM. An Infiniti was returned before I left, but I didn't bother asking for it as I needed to start driving and I hate the Infiniti's horrible gas mileage.

So here I am in Seattle with a BC plated car until I decide to swap it for something nicer later on.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 12:48 pm

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by specboi
Last week was all Taurus on the ES side, I asked if I could take the Mustang convertible parked on the Alamo side, but it was reserved so they offered me an A4 instead... Took that.

Today ES was bare, had 2 Taurus SEL, I asked if I could take the Cooper S Countryman on Alamo side, but they couldn't find the key, a Q50 pulled up and I asked for that, the manager agreed, except it had a maintenance light, so they couldn't rent it to me. They offered me a 2016 Maxima SE, with leather, navigation and full moon roof which I almost took, until a Volvo V60 T5 pulled into ES, and I took that instead.

After I left, I did a bit of research on the 300hp new maxima... Now almost wishing I took that instead of the Volvo. I got a 4 day road trip coming up, thinking of swinging by National in the morning tomorrow before I head out to see what's there, if anything worth swapping.
Originally Posted by Buster
Please don't steal the SD cards from the new Maxima! I had a grey one last week, the entertainment system will not function properly without the SD card. Presets will not save, XM will not work, the clock messes up, etc. etc. Have a white one this week with the SD card, everything (including Nav) works great.

Ron.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 5:14 pm

Anyone there recently?

I'm renting out of YVR in a couple weeks time- one way rental - just wondering what is in the EA- or exec aisle? I have exec status.... We are going to Banff, Whistler, Jasper ETC so I'm hoping for an SUV for good height for sight seeing and awd/4wd if needed on mountain passes?

Thanks!
Old Sep 28, 2015, 4:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Rented on the 19th for an overnight, can't remember much of what was there - the ES has a Caddy SRX4 which I took and one of the new Maximas, ES was mostly other crossovers (i.e. Journeys) and the EA was a couple Jeep Patriots and Tauruses and then the usual sedans
Old Sep 28, 2015, 7:07 am

Thanks- I'm pretty nervous with it being a 1 way they won't give me full selection from Exec or Emerald aisle??? Should I keep my Hertz reservation just in case?
Old Sep 29, 2015, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by hallen
I'm renting out of YVR in a couple weeks time- one way rental - just wondering what is in the EA- or exec aisle? I have exec status.... We are going to Banff, Whistler, Jasper ETC so I'm hoping for an SUV for good height for sight seeing and awd/4wd if needed on mountain passes?

Thanks!
Yes because Canada is covered in a blanket of snow right now. Funny how ppl think that 4wd/awd will save them from snow.

A better Idea would be have someone capable of actually driving and if that is not an option there are always trains and busses.

I should also add that the following will be in effect in 2 days :

Old Sep 30, 2015, 1:19 pm

Gee thanks for your concern- if you read my post you WOULD know I'm headed into the mountains- not the soft kinder city weather- and prehaps you should consider what we are use to driving at home and that we'd feel more comfortable having something similar on the road! I'm sure my 3 Million trucking miles accident free hubby would appreciate you telling him to get someone who's comfortable to drive :P
Old Oct 1, 2015, 2:10 pm

I am sorry to say but anyone who thinks 4wd makes you safe, or that you need a big vehicle to be safe does not know how to drive. A drop of a nasty cliff will not depend on your 4wd or the size of your vehicle. A rock or snow slide will not yield to your "large" 4wd vehicle. Other drivers falling asleep at the wheel veering into your lane will not yield to your "large" 4wd vehicle.

Peoples obsessions with large 4wd vehicles is nothing but comical.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 12:02 pm

Again HEARNA thanks for your concern- I'll state again- we'd like to have something SIMILAR to what we drive at home- I'm not saying we'll be safer in a truck, car, or SUV accidents happen- that is why they are called ACCIDENTS! My MAIN concern here is being limited in selection because I am a ONE way rental- not the SUV part- !!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.