Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at PHL

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2012, 9:54 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Hyatt Platnium, National Executive Elite
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Ritz
The (uber)luxurys and specialties are kept behind the building, by the wash - not really accessible, unless requested.

Mondays are terrible at PHL. Wed-Fri morning usually have great selections.
Will I be able to request those (uber)luxurys as Executive Elite and mid size reservation?
Old May 7, 2012, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by nightracerx
Will I be able to request those (uber)luxurys as Executive Elite and mid size reservation?
I'm gonna go ahead and say no on that one, lol. They're usually offered to VIPs, and those with high-dollar, upper-tier reservations to start with. This is at PHL though, I'm sure the criteria differs at other locations.
Old May 8, 2012, 3:51 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Hyatt Platnium, National Executive Elite
Question

I'm gonna go ahead and say no on that one, lol. They're usually offered to VIPs, and those with high-dollar, upper-tier reservations to start with. This is at PHL though, I'm sure the criteria differs at other locations.
lol damn, I'm going there in three weeks and will give a try. How did you get VIP? You own your own company or something?
Old May 8, 2012, 7:14 am

lol damn, I'm going there in three weeks and will give a try. How did you get VIP? You own your own company or something?
In 2005, I was somewhat involuntarily relocated from LA back to NJ. The company forces me to travel quite a bit (around the Mid-Atlantic and beyond), andafter some discussion, a long term rental seemed a great way for the company to reimburse me for my expenses. As a FTer, I realized a good opportunity when I saw it , and kept it. The "long term" rental has turned into me having (at least 1) vehicle out every single day since 2005. About 1 year into it, I quickly went from Exec to EE to VIP. Been there ever since.

I then proceeded to direct my company travel coordinator to flow all corporate rentals in the direction of National. (And steered all family and friends in that direction too). Its been a great arrangement, even through changes in ownership, for the most part.
Old May 9, 2012, 11:19 pm

Talking

In 2005, I was somewhat involuntarily relocated from LA back to NJ. The company forces me to travel quite a bit (around the Mid-Atlantic and beyond), andafter some discussion, a long term rental seemed a great way for the company to reimburse me for my expenses. As a FTer, I realized a good opportunity when I saw it , and kept it. The "long term" rental has turned into me having (at least 1) vehicle out every single day since 2005. About 1 year into it, I quickly went from Exec to EE to VIP. Been there ever since.

I then proceeded to direct my company travel coordinator to flow all corporate rentals in the direction of National. (And steered all family and friends in that direction too). Its been a great arrangement, even through changes in ownership, for the most part.
So technically you got to VIP by pretty much renting everyday from them. I do monthly lease as well, but I hop around with three major companies, Avis, Hertz, and National. Maybe I should stick with National for a year then they might get me VIP lol. Also send my coworkers there.
Old May 10, 2012, 5:59 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
A while back, someone posted that National told them no more Toyota Priuses are being sold to rental companies. Apparently that's changed. ^
When the manager was processing my damage, he mentioned that National recently signed a big contract with Toyota and that they had to grab all the Avalons and Camry from Enterprise since they weren't allowed to rent them. Prius was probably thrown into the mix of cars that was "sold" to National.
Old May 10, 2012, 6:27 am

Maybe I should stick with National for a year then they might get me VIP lol.
Absolutely. Well worth it, IMO.
Old May 10, 2012, 6:36 am

When the manager was processing my damage, he mentioned that National recently signed a big contract with Toyota and that they had to grab all the Avalons and Camry from Enterprise since they weren't allowed to rent them. Prius was probably thrown into the mix of cars that was "sold" to National.

Enterprise is now not allowed to rent Avalons and Camrys? Maybe Toyota thinks a "discounter" doing so cheapens their image, whereas a "premium" brand enhances it?
Old May 10, 2012, 7:50 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Enterprise is now not allowed to rent Avalons and Camrys? Maybe Toyota thinks a "discounter" doing so cheapens their image, whereas a "premium" brand enhances it?
just passing along what was said, who knows how true
Old May 10, 2012, 8:03 pm

The (uber)luxurys and specialties are kept behind the building, by the wash - not really accessible, unless requested.
What kind of uber luxuries? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old May 10, 2012, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by drzoidberg
What kind of uber luxuries? Inquiring minds want to know.
Couple of Jags, an occasional Escalade, various Infinitis, etc. Nothing too extraordinary at PHL (compared with HNL, LAX, etc)
Old May 11, 2012, 2:05 am

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
A while back, someone posted that National told them no more Toyota Priuses are being sold to rental companies. Apparently that's changed. ^
HNL has a bunch of 2011 Prius Twos that were delivered around November-December '11. They recently off-loaded a bunch of 2010s to auction and are no popping up on used car lots around the island.
Old May 29, 2012, 1:49 pm

Selection during last month

What I've seen during May (renting on Sundays, Mondays, and Wednesdays) In Executive Selection:

2012 Toyota Avalon,
Impala
Jetta
Prii (prius)
Chrysler 300
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Tahoe
Kia Sorento
Altima
Sonata
Malibu
Trucks
Minivans

Nothing real special. I wish National would broaden the selection at PHL.

In regular aisle:
HHR
Malibu
others...can't remember exactly.
M
Old May 29, 2012, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by HiHoSilver
What I've seen during May (renting on Sundays, Mondays, and Wednesdays) In Executive Selection:

2012 Toyota Avalon,
Impala
Jetta
Prii (prius)
Chrysler 300
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Tahoe
Kia Sorento
Altima
Sonata
Malibu
Trucks
Minivans

Nothing real special. I wish National would broaden the selection at PHL.

In regular aisle:
HHR
Malibu
others...can't remember exactly.
M
I've been told they'll be getting some more Escalades and Yukons in soon - that's always a score in my book.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:42 pm

I had the most interesting experience at PHL today. Monday at noon. Story is below:

The bus was fully loaded that I had to stand. So I was like "ouch" my chance of getting a decent car at ES is down the tube. Once I got to the parking lot before the bus was even stopped, I saw an army of people out on the ES lot trying to wipe the place clean. NO GOOD! Some lady on the same bus was standing behind me, as soon as the door opens she dragged her two large suitcases and started to run towards the ES lot, she was so crazy that she cut everyone off on the bus, my first reaction was what hell is she doing. I started to laugh quietly when I saw her fell on the ground almost face plant as she was running with her two large suitcases, karma is a biatch. Anyways, she got up quickly like she was in the Olympics and started to run toward the end of the ES section again, by the time she got back there some lot attendant pulled up an Infiniti G25 and she jumped right in. I was like ARE YOU SERIOUS? Acting like a vicious animal just for a car? Should've video taped the whole scene.

Anyways back to car selection: I was left with the following at ES and EA:

EA:
2 x Toyota Corolla
1 x Toyota Camry
3 x Hyundai small cars
2 x KIA small cars
1 x Ford Fiesta
15+ x minivans in almost every brand and color

ES:
1 x Hyundai Tuscan in lime green, do they even make those?
1 x Buick Enclave
1 x VW Passat in some weird light blue color I never saw before.
1 x Mitsubishi Galant
1 x Mitsubishi Eclipse
2 x Chrysler 300
3 x Toyota Camry
1 x Jeep Compass
1 x Jeep Commander
1 x Nissan Altima
1 x Nissan Rogue
5 x Chevy Malibu

Nothing really excited me, then I saw this specialty section by ES section so I asked the lot attendant if I can pick cars there with my Executive Elite membership and full size reservation. There were a BMW 328i, Buick LaCrosse, and Toyota Avalon I was interested, all had several thousand miles. The guy was very polite and mentioned there will be upgrade fees involved and said "upgrade fees are very cheap", so he took me inside the office and ran some numbers on his computer. So it came out to be the BMW is 3x what I would pay for a full size, LaCrosse and Avalon are 2x what I would pay for a full size. He said BMW is luxury class and LaCrosse and Avalon are premium class. Upgrade fees are very cheap my a$$. So I declined and went back to ES lot to pick out a car. As soon as I walked out I saw a Nissan Maxima and a Toyota Avalon pulled into the ES section, halle-lu-yah!!! I hopped into both, the Nissan was smoked in so I got into the Avalon with 5k miles and working XM. I then purposely drive the Avalon pass in front of the agent that was trying to charge me 2x for it, he saw me and had the most amazing speechless look on his face. ^^^

I had a memorable 20 minutes at National PHL today, good laugh at the lady and got what I wanted for what I was suppose to pay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.