Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at TPA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2011, 12:59 pm

Convertibles @ TPA

Anybody noticed what kind of convertibles National is offering at TPA these days? I'm going to be traveling there in October and don't want to spend extra if all I'm getting is a Sebring.

Thanks
Old Aug 29, 2011, 8:21 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Airtran A+ Elite
Originally Posted by westau
Thanks, I may try that when I am heading down there in a couple weeks just to see what each side has.
I did end up going to both sides on Thursday because the blue side choices were pretty terrible. They had 3! cars in the aisle. A malibu, an impala, and a Jeep Patriot. The red side was a bit better but not much and I ended up taking a brand new Sonata with 121 miles on it. There was a medium size Chevy SUV there also that I would have taken but I saw someone else already in the driver seat. When I got to the booth I noticed the person was a National employee so I could have had that one.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 6:20 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I was there last week, red side, ES had four vehicles: A Mustang, a Lucerne, an Impala (of course) and a Durango Crew which I took. Had 10K miles and active SAT radio!
Old Sep 13, 2011, 5:11 pm

I was told by an agent on the blue side last year that around June they get rid of a lot of cars as the peak season is February to May
Old Oct 8, 2011, 3:51 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Airtran A+ Elite
Blue side was even worse last week. They had one minivan in the aisle and that was it. I am just going to stop going over there unless I happen to have a bunch of free time when I get in town for meetings. The red side wasn't great but I did end up with an Escape limited with leather and a sunroof(but the Sirius wasn't working) so I didn't mind.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 6:22 pm

Emerald Aisle TPA

Heading into TPA in 2 weeks and curious what is in the reg EA, not Exec. Any info would be appreciated, looking slim by the previous comments.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 3:29 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, National Exec, WN A/CP
I'll be there tomorrow for a local rental and will try to post what I find...
Old Oct 24, 2011, 3:57 pm

Programs: National Exec Elite, Hertz Pres. Circle, Air Canada 25K
I was wondering if anyone has noticed any minvans or large SUVs in the EA or ES in the last while at TPA? I read that there is occasionally a minivan spotted there, but if someone goes through there regularly it would great to know roughly how often they see them on the aisle. Not exact percentages, obviously, but if you see them half the time or whatever it would help me decide on what to book.

I don't need a minivan, but if it was there it would help. I will likely chance it, but might make a reservation for a minivan just after my ES reservation. OR anyone know what the chances of talking to the agent to get a minivan if there are none on the aisle. Are the agents generally friendly here? Some places are happy to try to help.

Oh, and it is for a mid-week, late night rental, a couple of days before Christmas. Likely not much selection over the holidays, but would be great if anyone had a bit more recent insight into the fleet at TPA. Thanks!
Old Nov 7, 2011, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA PLAT, SPG GOLD
I'm there at least once per month. I do not recall seeing any minivans. I'm not looking for them though. In the Exec area, there are usually SUV's with a third row of seating so that might help you. Usually, I see impalas, a camery or two, Hyundai sonata, a big SUV, sometimes a Volvo. When it's crowded, there only seems to be impalas and malibus!

There is generally an agent wandering around, but they have never seemed anxious to help. I frequently arrive between 8 and 10 p.m. I'll be back there before the Thanksgiving holiday.

Good luck.

Last edited by h3127; Nov 8, 2011 at 9:37 pm Reason: Error
Old Dec 7, 2011, 10:55 am

Red side Friday Dec 2nd at 2 pm

EA - Nissan Altima
Dodge Avenger

Didn't get to see the ES.. But there wasn't much selection in any category. The garage area is so small they are constantly having to bring vehicles out
Old Dec 25, 2011, 7:20 pm

Picked up at TPA the other night, late (~1 am) and the ES was almost full. Nothing great though.
EA was full as well.

ES: Malibu (x2)
Impala (x2)
Altima (x4 or 5)
Sonata (x1)
Avenger

EA: Civic (x2)
Mazda 3 (x2)
Versa
2012 VW Beetle (my wife is still asking me if we can take one next time!)
and a few other non-notables.

Premium: 3 Grand Marquis
Luxury: 1 Town Car

Minivans: Only basic Dodge Caravans.

VIP section: Dodge Challenger (x2)

Overall nothing special. I wasn't thrilled with the choice on the ES so I changed and took a midsize SUV. I asked the attendant and there was no problem. They were reasonably friendly... even at 1 am. No problems there.

I will be back in a couple of days and will update.

Last edited by north_of_normal; Dec 28, 2011 at 8:43 pm Reason: update cars
Old Dec 27, 2011, 9:29 pm

Was at TPA tonight around 10 pm. Lots around on the Alamo side, but the National side was a little picked over (Blue).

ES: 2012 Jetta (11 miles on it)
Mitsubishi Galant
Altima (x2)
Avenger (x2)
Dodge Journey
Couple other average full size cars

EA: 2012 Jetta (5,500 miles)
HHR (x3)
2011 Focus (kinda beat up looking)
Mazda 3 (x2)
Few other midsize cars (nothing exciting)

Premium: Gr. Marquis
2012 Hyundai Genesis (only about 1,100 miles on it)

On the Alamo side there were lots of decent cars.

Premium: Buick Regal (x2)
Volvo S40

Luxury: Volvo S60
Buick Regal (yep, same trim)

Lots of SUVS around as well. Saw a 2012 Ford Edge, Gr. Cherokee, Ford Explorer.

Lots of white cars on the Alamo side.

Anyway, I was about to take the 2012 Jetta with 11 miles on it, when the attendant came by and I asked about premiums - he took me right over to the Alamo side and offered the Volvo or the Regal. Took a Volvo. No issues at the gate.

Really friendly staff working there tonight ^; friendly at the returns, in the lot and at the gate. Must be their A team on tonight ^:-:.

Last edited by north_of_normal; Dec 28, 2011 at 8:44 pm Reason: spelling
Old Mar 11, 2012, 7:48 pm

Programs: I fly for free.
Pickup: Midday 3/9/12

Went first to the Blue Lot to see a very uninteresting selection in the ES

-10x Impala or so
-Few Malibus but no LTZ/V6
-VW Jetta

Red lot had the following in ES:

-Bunch of Impalas
-Few Malibus
-A few new Toyota Avalons

I grabbed a new Avalon with 220 on the ODO, only one with the higher trim and a V6. Quite comfortable, good for Florida cruising.

Upgrade list on the Red lot was:
-Toyota Avalon
-Infiniti G37
Old Mar 16, 2012, 5:52 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by north_of_normal
Was at TPA tonight around 10 pm. Lots around on the Alamo side, but the National side was a little picked over (Blue).

ES: 2012 Jetta (11 miles on it)
Mitsubishi Galant
Altima (x2)
Avenger (x2)
Dodge Journey
Couple other average full size cars

EA: 2012 Jetta (5,500 miles)
HHR (x3)
2011 Focus (kinda beat up looking)
Mazda 3 (x2)
Few other midsize cars (nothing exciting)

Premium: Gr. Marquis
2012 Hyundai Genesis (only about 1,100 miles on it)

On the Alamo side there were lots of decent cars.

Premium: Buick Regal (x2)
Volvo S40

Luxury: Volvo S60
Buick Regal (yep, same trim)

Lots of SUVS around as well. Saw a 2012 Ford Edge, Gr. Cherokee, Ford Explorer.

Lots of white cars on the Alamo side.

Anyway, I was about to take the 2012 Jetta with 11 miles on it, when the attendant came by and I asked about premiums - he took me right over to the Alamo side and offered the Volvo or the Regal. Took a Volvo. No issues at the gate.

Really friendly staff working there tonight ^; friendly at the returns, in the lot and at the gate. Must be their A team on tonight ^:-:.

Does this post imply that you can select from Alamo cars or National cars with a National reservation? And also the other way around?
Old Mar 16, 2012, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by srodr
Does this post imply that you can select from Alamo cars or National cars with a National reservation? And also the other way around?
Well, that was my experience as an Exec Elite. I looked at the EA and the Exec Selection and didn't like either and simply asked about other cars.

At TPA the National and Alamo lots are in the same area. The fleets are shared. Enterprise is there too, but closed off from National and Alamo. I asked the person walking around about other cars and they pointed me to the Alamo side when I had a National reservation.

My father-in law rented from there a while ago as well, but with an Alamo reservation and they gave him a car from the National side. So it all depends on the car size you want. I don't think they would make a fuss if you booked a specific car class and took it from either National or Alamo. The keys are in all of the cars there - except for special cars right by the Alamo exit booth.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.