FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   National | Emerald Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/national-emerald-club-424/)
-   -   Cars at ANC (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/national-emerald-club/868051-cars-anc.html)

drzoidberg Sep 20, 2008 11:57 am

Cars at ANC

Originally posted by whistler814 in the main thread, added here for flexibility.

Please feel free to add in other cars as you see them.

At ANC on a Saturday night ~9pm:

(No EA/EC/Counter bypass - all cars in one pool)

Buick Lucerne
Chevy Equinox
Chevy Malibu
Chevy Impala
Chevy HHR
Dodge Avenger
Pontiac G6
Several random minivans (mostly Chevy Uplanders)

As you can see...nothing special.

jackal Feb 6, 2011 6:07 am

I've done several rental runs on $15 weekend rates at this location recently to build up some One Two Free days. There is no EA or ES here; it's strictly Emerald Counter. They're a licensee location, so they seem to not participate in the Executive free reserved upgrade benefit--when making a test reservation with or without my Executive number, I see no difference in the price. They also require you to sign a paper rental agreement at the counter.

So, reserving Intermediates for the cheapest One Two Free-qualifying rentals without an Executive Selection, it seemed like I was doomed to drive Sebrings and HHRs. Fortunately, I know a few of the CSRs, and being that I've been renting on weekends in the middle of Alaska's super-dead winter season, I was basically given the choice of the best things on the lot, such as:

Nissan Rogue
Nissan Murano
Chevy Silverado
Buick Lucerne CXL AWD (nice ride but underpowered)
Chevy Equinox LTZ

So, nothing phenomenal, but certainly better than your basic midsize! :)

RNOflyer Jul 27, 2012 9:48 am

SUVs in ANC

Does anyone know what type of SUV are at ANC?

Thanks!

jackal Jul 27, 2012 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by RNOflyer (Post 19012451)
Does anyone know what type of SUV are at ANC?

Thanks!

Mostly Chevy products (Traverse, Equinox, etc.). I think they may have also had the Buick Enclave in stock. I don't recall anything larger (no Tahoes, etc.), but I could be wrong. The owner of the local Alamo National franchise also owns the local GM dealer, so the majority of cars there are GM products.

RNOflyer Jul 29, 2012 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by jackal (Post 19013383)
Mostly Chevy products (Traverse, Equinox, etc.). I think they may have also had the Buick Enclave in stock. I don't recall anything larger (no Tahoes, etc.), but I could be wrong. The owner of the local Alamo National franchise also owns the local GM dealer, so the majority of cars there are GM products.

Thanks! I will have 6 people and I need something a little larger.

Thanks!

jlin011 Jul 8, 2013 10:55 pm

Picked up here over the weekend for July 4 and as mentioned before, it is counter (no EA/ES). Rented full-size as Exec and was offered a Malibu or Rogue.

Took the Rogue, it was brand new as it only had 6 miles on the clock.

eyeballer Oct 9, 2013 1:38 pm

We're picking up this week in ANC for 5 days, booked a Full Size as an Exec, anyone rented recently and have recommendations for what to ask for? Anything AWD?

pH Jan 7, 2014 12:54 pm

Rented a full size as an Exec, got a white Camry with 40k on it.

All the cars had a local dealer plate frame and badging.

Extra bonus: came home with a speeding ticket. :(

ANC Jan 21, 2014 9:50 am

Originally Posted by pH (Post 22105000)
Rented a full size as an Exec, got a white Camry with 40k on it.

All the cars had a local dealer plate frame and badging.

:(

Thats who owns the National and Alamo franchise in Anchorage

SpeedRicer Jan 26, 2014 9:40 pm

Had a fullsize reservation (using free days) last week and was given a choice of Malibu, Altima and Lacrosse at the counter. Took the Lacrosse, and then had to return it back after five minutes due to an AWD system failure. :p

Ended up with the Malibu as a replacement - base LS model, which I haven't seen before at National. Most of the other cars in the lot were indeed GM models.

ANC Feb 20, 2014 1:33 pm

as mentioned above there are a few Nissans also. Ive seen Versas along with the above mentioned

MAH4546 Aug 20, 2014 12:11 pm

Anybody there recently? I'll be there next week. Last year I got a great Lacrosse with built-in navi.

1337 Aug 29, 2014 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by MAH4546 (Post 23395696)
Anybody there recently? I'll be there next week. Last year I got a great Lacrosse with built-in navi.

I haven't been to ANC recently (or ever), but I'm curious to hear what you rent on your trip!

I'm headed to ANC for a vacation in a couple weeks :)

MAH4546 Aug 31, 2014 12:03 am

I got a Regal. Other choices for full-size were Malibu, Impala Classic and Altima.

bigguyinpasadena Jul 11, 2015 1:02 pm

Probably the worst service at a National location I have ever experienced.
Counter(ugh) staff was totally disinterested in providing any sort of customer service,offered three crap cars as a choice (there were perhaps 60 cars in the lot)and left it to us to discover if there were any decent cars in the lot.

Selection of vehicles was less than exciting.Lots of cars that should not be in any rental car selection(well maybe Rent-a-Wreck would be the exception) as many had major dings and the majority of vehicles were filthy:td: