Wiki Posts
Search

Bill for flat tire?!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2008, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Bill for flat tire?!

I recently rented a car from National and pretty soon after I had driven away from the rental site (within probably 4 miles of driving), the tire was totally flat, so I called National and a roadside assistance person (from the manufacturer) came and fixed the tire, and I drove it back to National and got a replacement car. I was told when I called, "there is no cost to you".

So now I just got a bill for the damage in the mail-?! It's under $100, so not the end of the world, but I'm surprised.

My view is that National rented a car to me with a bad tire.

I'm Emerald Club, for what it's worth (probably not much) but am never renting from National ever again.

Is there any way of disputing this or getting it waived? I'd probably be renting cars twice a month for the next few years- not a lot, but not insignificant.

Thanks.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 2:26 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Chargeback on your credit card ?
Old Sep 13, 2008, 6:58 pm

Probably should've gotten the "no charge for flat tire" in writing. I'm not sure you can do much but pay for it?
Old Sep 13, 2008, 9:12 pm

Care to share location & details ? Most in here might be curious...

Sounds like they're wanting the cost of the tire? Or just road-service? (another of many reasons to join AAA.)
What advise did your regular auto-insurer have ?
Old Sep 13, 2008, 9:30 pm

Programs: CO One Pass
I'd call the office and argue the charge... if they refuse to reduce your bill, then definitely decline the extra charge on your credit card bill, and go from there
Old Sep 14, 2008, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by squawk7500
Care to share location & details ? Most in here might be curious...

Sounds like they're wanting the cost of the tire? Or just road-service? (another of many reasons to join AAA.)
What advise did your regular auto-insurer have ?
Hmm, will AAA cover you even if you're renting a car?
Old Sep 14, 2008, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
It was from Charlotte a few weeks ago. The National people at the agency there were terrific, and the roadside service line was terrific as well, but I was specifically told when I called to report the damage and request assistance, "there is no charge to you". (I hadn't even asked about the fee or anything; the agent just volunteered that.)
Old Sep 14, 2008, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by drzoidberg
Hmm, will AAA cover you even if you're renting a car?
Yes, they cover any car you are riding in. It covers the member, not the car. It can be your own car, your friend's car, a rental, etc.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 11:36 am

Programs: NW, Marriott, HHonors, Westin
I shredded a tire (my fault), and wasn't charged, but my contract ID includes full LDW, so I'm not much help.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 11:51 am

Programs: ~IHG(p)/BW~Nat'l.Exec~ ~NW(SE)~ ~Cessna~ NASM.do-07 ~AAAF.do-05/06/07/08/09
It covers the member, not the car. It can be your own car, your friend's car, a rental, etc.

Exactly ~ the only real limitation: can't be a commercial vehicle. ( well, isn't
supposed to be ... )

I'd have another chat with the Charlotte office.
/.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by DizDragonfly
Yes, they cover any car you are riding in. It covers the member, not the car. It can be your own car, your friend's car, a rental, etc.
Ahh, thanks for the distinction! I never knew that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.