Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at SAN

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2009, 12:43 am
gof

Programs: UA 2P, HHonors Diamond, Hertz Gold
Just a follow up in case it helps others. Went ahead with a standard fullsize res with the 1-2-free coupon using the Emerald Exec aisle for a Monday morning (10am). I was able to pick up a Grand Carvan, but it was the only one in the aisle at the time that was actually marked as Exec. There was another, but only marked as minivan.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA PP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Nat ExecElite, WN CP
Had a Luxury reserved for a 1 way SAN to Scottsdale yesterday and got the only luxury they had - luckily it was a 2009 Cadillac DTS with 1,005 miles. Very nice car for the 5 hr drive.

Well the lot was pretty bare and the attendant said they were "running out of cars" - perhaps because of this the Exec Selection had a great variety of vehicles ranging from the normal full size to minivans, to mid and full size SUVs.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 5:06 pm

Programs: SQ *G, QF S, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Advantage Platinum
Booked and paid for a Caddy for 5 days from 12 Jan to 16 Jan. Picked it up from SAN and dropped it off at Anaheim.

One of the reasons why I picked the Caddy was to get Sat Nav. Found out that they take out the CD with the maps, so you have to pay the $11 a day to rent their option. They didn't even rent the CDs, just the standard Garmin. Was a bit disappointed that the car comes with that feature and you can't use it.

With the amount I am spending renting a GPS, I might as well just buy one with US maps for when I rent a car in the US.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 5:21 pm

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
Originally Posted by Gotta Requalify
Booked
With the amount I am spending renting a GPS, I might as well just buy one with US maps for when I rent a car in the US.
For this very reason I bought one that both European and US maps. It's paid for itself in both savings and "ease" I can "load" my locations in advance for example!
Old Feb 16, 2009, 8:10 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond, National EE
On a Monday, around 1pm...Chrysler 300 with about 3K miles on it. Otherwise, a large selection of Impalas, a couple of minivans, and one Ford Flex.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 8:35 am
DH

EA and Exec selections were poor yesterday. I almost saw PT cruisers and other intermediate size cars on EA lot. For exec, it was mostly Impala. I'm not sure whether it was just bad day, since it's my first time renting at SAN.

The most annoying was being asked about prepaid gas and GPS. I preference is set to decline.

Last edited by DH; Mar 4, 2009 at 11:11 pm
Old Mar 30, 2009, 1:12 pm

Programs: HH Silver,#1 Gold, UAL MP,SkyMiles, ASA MP, AGR, Nat EE
I'm a local and after renting from Hertz for the first part of the year, ive switched exclusively to National at SAN after getting wonderful service and cars from them.

This is the latest report from my rental this past Thursday (26th) thru Sunday (29th), EA had its usual mixture of G6's, Chrysler products, and some un-identified stuff. ES was Galant's, Impala's, and Malibu's. When i came into the lot on the shuttle bus from the airport terminals, i spotted a Volvo V70 in one of the holding lots just sitting there, i asked the attendant at the little EA kiosk if it was available, she went and checked, and brought it over to me. Turns out, it was a Full Size special, not Luxury or Premium as i thought. 44 miles on the darn thing when i drove out of the lot with it. All in all, a really nice car, with the exception of the gas mileage. Sunday i returned it, but did not look at the EA/ES as i was in a rush to get some lunch Downtown. In the future, ill have weekly or bi-weekly reports from this location as lately i need a car every weekend for errands here in SAN and/or up in the LA Metro area.

Regards,
NW
Old Apr 3, 2009, 1:32 am

Another weekend, another rental from National SAN, had to pick up a car for a trip to LA around 8pm last evening (Thurs). ES suprisingly didnt have any Impalas from what i could tell, but had the usual 4-5 Malibu's in stock, along with some Galants, Altima's, and a lone Grand Marquis. EA was filled with G6's, Vibe's, Kia's, and a lone Volvo S40. Of course i took the latter, only 22 miles on the thing, seems it was either delivered today or yesterday looking at the tags on the license plate. I'll have a report on Sunday when i return my S40.

Nick
Old Apr 3, 2009, 5:06 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP,MR PP,Hyatt Diam, SPG Plat,PC Plat, HH Gold, National EE
Thanks

Just wanted to say thank you very much nicksair1, I am going to be renting a few times from SAN over the next few months and these updates are much appreciated.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 11:15 am

Programs: DL PM / MM, Nat'l EE
Do convertibles pop up from time to time in the EE line? I know I've had some luck at LAX in the past - not sure that SAN would have the same set up with such a small lot..
Old Apr 20, 2009, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by nebraskaboy
Do convertibles pop up from time to time in the EE line? I know I've had some luck at LAX in the past - not sure that SAN would have the same set up with such a small lot..
Unfortunately they dont from what i can tell.

To the rest of the crew who are looking for their regular weekly/bi-weekly reports at SAN, i apologize for my lack of reports as of late, i have been renting, but the problem is, im in too much of a rush to overlook the fleet in the EE and EA aisles and give a decent report to you folks. My next rental is Thursday evening for a family get-together in Los Angeles on Friday. I will try my best to have a report by then.

Thanks
Nick
Old May 9, 2009, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Around 11AM Friday this was the inventory respectively:

ES - a dozen base (2.5S) Nissan Altimas, two Camrys, one Impala LT, one Dodge Charger, one well-used Toyota Avalon. That's it. I pulled an Altima that had ~3K miles and was quite clean at least.

EA - some Hyundai Sonatas, a few Malibus, a Dodge Caliber, a Kia Rondo microvan... nothing to draw one away from the ES.
Old May 9, 2009, 7:10 pm

And around 1pm this afternoon it was stocked much the same as the previous poster said, but i saw a Volvo C70 convertible, and took that for a $35 upg. Tho i had to return it shortly afterwords cause something was up with the aux connector and no sirius. Called roadside assistance and told me to return it back to the airport. I did so, pretty much the same selection when i went for the exchange, but got a Volvo S40, in fact, the same one i took to on a Phoenix trip over Easter weekend last month. I'll have a report when i return it tomorrow.

Nick
Old May 10, 2009, 3:49 pm

Hello folks, another wonderful report for you from the San Diego Location. Just returned my S40 earlier this afternoon. EA looked like its turned into PT Cruiser and Pontiac Vibe-land for this weekend. Thats all i saw minus a *gasp* Sentra in the lot too!. EE had Altima's, Galant's, and some Impala's. The rest of the lot looked pretty much the same from my report yesterday. My next rental will be on the 23rd of May for a night, I'll be returning the car the next morning, then hop on jetBlue to JFK, and eventually ROC.

Enjoy your week all!

Nick :-)
Old Aug 9, 2009, 12:18 am

I can't contribute the detail others have (it's been two weeks and I just don't recall all the details), but as one who has benefited from this forum, wanted to add what I could. Rented at the end of July at 3pm on a Tuesday and there wasn't much to chose from on the lot. Probably about 10-15 cars total, regardless of EA, EE, etc. They did bring several more cars to the lot as I was waiting to check out, so if you have some time it may be good to wait to see what comes out on the lot over the next 15 minutes or so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.