Search

Cars at SAN

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2013, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Effekt
Just curious if there are any Grand Cherokees available? Have seen tons of them two years ago but see that they are not mentioned here anymore.
if not, are there any car rentals in SAN with Grand Cherokees? Alamo, for example? Thank you!
My last trip to SAN there were 5 GC, all in the specialty isle...
Old Jun 20, 2013, 2:14 pm

Programs: HH Gold, FB, Hertz Gold+, Omni Platinum
Oh., thank you!
Is it new with this sp. isle? I always rent from Germany for a month on my vacation (last year and two yerars ago) and always could choose GC or Mustang Conv. w/o problems, not sure if it was in general isle or speciality.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Effekt
Oh., thank you!
Is it new with this sp. isle? I always rent from Germany for a month on my vacation (last year and two yerars ago) and always could choose GC or Mustang Conv. w/o problems, not sure if it was in general isle or speciality.
You can rent what ever you want, but in the specialty isle cars you have to go inside and get the keys.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 2:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, WN RR A-list+
Got in around 9am..EA had

1 juke
1 jetta
The rest were altima / impala and 200s

Took a 200 and I'm pretty happy with it
Old Aug 9, 2013, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

8-8-13

ES- 1- Hyundai Genesis (which I took) 12K miles and XM still working, however it does not want to charge my iPhone. If you like Chargers and Challengers then it was your day, a couple of Impala's (not the 2014) a lone Altima and Camry.

EA- 1 jetta, 1 Maxima (I thought this was odd), lots of Chrysler 200s, Jepp Compass, sentra, a couple of other cars which I don't remember.

The lot has slim pickings, I have never seen SAN lots so bare. On sat I'm off to SFO, never been, hope to be able to snag something fun.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 6:17 am

Don't ask me why, but you need a special cord from Hyundai to charge an iPhone in most of their products.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Coastercameron
Don't ask me why, but you need a special cord from Hyundai to charge an iPhone in most of their products.
LOL, really... that sucks.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 9:44 am

Yeah.. You could find them on Amazon or EBay for about $10 last time I checked..
Old Aug 27, 2013, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Heading SAN later this week. Would appreciate any updates on PCAR/LCAR selection. Thanks!
Old Aug 28, 2013, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mediator
Heading SAN later this week. Would appreciate any updates on PCAR/LCAR selection. Thanks!
Updates get posted when people rent, so if no new post means no one has been there.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 5:24 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Executive, Hertz PC, National EE, IC Diamond Ambassador, ALL Gold, Hyatt Disc
A few questions... Have a 1-Way LCAR reservation to SFO picking up on Sunday at 1am... I will be coming in and taking a Taxi from the Amtrak. Would it be easier to get dropped off at a terminal and wait for a rental car shuttle (if they still run regularly that late) or is there a place for customer drop off at the Rental Car Center?

Also is there a specific process (and selection) for a one-way reservation or anything from the Luxury area? I have only rented from Hertz at SAN which is why I ask. Thanks!
Old Sep 27, 2013, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by roadman3313
A few questions... Have a 1-Way LCAR reservation to SFO picking up on Sunday at 1am... I will be coming in and taking a Taxi from the Amtrak. Would it be easier to get dropped off at a terminal and wait for a rental car shuttle (if they still run regularly that late) or is there a place for customer drop off at the Rental Car Center?

Also is there a specific process (and selection) for a one-way reservation or anything from the Luxury area? I have only rented from Hertz at SAN which is why I ask. Thanks!
National isn't open at 1am, I beleive they close at midnight and open again at 5am. Get a hotel room by the train station.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 4:39 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Executive, Hertz PC, National EE, IC Diamond Ambassador, ALL Gold, Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
National isn't open at 1am, I beleive they close at midnight and open again at 5am. Get a hotel room by the train station.
Interesting. They were listed as 24 hours and the booking went through so hopefully they would deny the booking if the location was not open.

I have a hotel in-town and was just looking to save a step in the morning. If they aren't open and I have to take a taxi to the hotel and then the bus to the airport in the morning that's fine by me as well.

Do you know how do they treat one-way rentals at this location. I've been to some locations where they just say pick any car and others that are particular about the cars released for a one-way rental. It's an LCAR reservation for 2 days to SFO. Any words of wisdom are always appreciated
Old Sep 27, 2013, 3:44 pm

Programs: ACMM, AC E50K, HH Gold, National EE
Flew into SAN each of the past 3 Mondays. Took from ES in order:

Ford Flex: Served its' purpose very well. I knew I would be driving some others so lots of room. Surprisingly it didn't 'feel' big driving it. Backup sensors/camera certainly helped.

Grand Cherokee Limited: Remarkably nice. It's hard to impress me - this one did it. Loaded nicely and very comfortable.

Hyundai Genesis Sedan: Held out hope the GC would be there again - it wasn't - and have been curious about the Genesis since it was intro'd. Satisfactory is the best description. Poor man's German car. It was certainly comfortable and very quiet so it worked well for me. Surprising no parking sensors or memory seat. Really Hyundai? If you want to compete on the big stage...

Mondays at noon seem to be a good time to arrive - plenty of options on ES. Always SUV's - including Tahoe's and mid-sized Chevy's. Challengers and Camaros' plentiful. I have to say generally I'm very happy with the offerings. Didn't notice what was on EA - rushing to get to work.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Stiff
Flew into SAN each of the past 3 Mondays. Took from ES in order:

Ford Flex: Served its' purpose very well. I knew I would be driving some others so lots of room. Surprisingly it didn't 'feel' big driving it. Backup sensors/camera certainly helped.

Grand Cherokee Limited: Remarkably nice. It's hard to impress me - this one did it. Loaded nicely and very comfortable.

Hyundai Genesis Sedan: Held out hope the GC would be there again - it wasn't - and have been curious about the Genesis since it was intro'd. Satisfactory is the best description. Poor man's German car. It was certainly comfortable and very quiet so it worked well for me. Surprising no parking sensors or memory seat. Really Hyundai? If you want to compete on the big stage...
Mondays at noon seem to be a good time to arrive - plenty of options on ES. Always SUV's - including Tahoe's and mid-sized Chevy's. Challengers and Camaros' plentiful. I have to say generally I'm very happy with the offerings. Didn't notice what was on EA - rushing to get to work.
Price point my good man, the Genesis that National have are base cars starts at $34K. Add Premium and Tech packages you are looking at $45K. You wont find a German car (read Audi or BMW) at that price with what you get. My take is the Genesis is a hidden secert for $45K you get a lot of car for the money, my partner has one, fully loaded, he loves it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.