Cars at DEN

Old Oct 6, 20, 9:50 am

I was here last Sunday at 12:30pm.

Separate Aisle, Executive, and Premium (I didn't want to pay what I assume was another $75).

Executive - typical Impalas and Malibus. Couple Dodge Chargers, but one had a pebble windshield crack (common around here it seems) and other had the trunk open, seemed like a warning ha.

Ford Ecosport Titanium trim. Jeep Compass.

And then I was investigating the Charger for about 10 minutes, a Volskwagen Atlas SE 4x4 pulled in, took that. I was roadtripping from Denver to Chicago solo. Yeah it drank gas a bit, but seemed very roomy up front.

I feel it was slimmer pickings than usual but, all in all, not too dissatisfied. Definitely didn't seem busy at all.

I rarely drive at all (living in Chicago) -- the tech touchscreen where I can voice-text (with ease) and play several different iphone music apps was essential for my solo roadtrip sanity hah.

Last edited by peterparker20; Oct 6, 20 at 9:57 am
Old Oct 6, 20, 1:19 pm

I'm surprised National let you take a 4x4 on a one-way, especially out of a ski area right before their peak season?
Old Oct 6, 20, 2:07 pm

Yeah I definitely didn't need a 4x4 or v6 on that very long, boring flat drive.

But the rest of the Executive lot looked mediocre. They had an old timer at the gate so, who knows.

Their peak is probably more like December-March but --- hey, they can always ferry in more cars. I don't think they should restrict one-ways anyway.
Old Oct 6, 20, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast View Post
I'm surprised National let you take a 4x4 on a one-way, especially out of a ski area right before their peak season?
Have they actually turned people away at the gate for doing that?
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Oct 6, 20, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by m907 View Post
Have they actually turned people away at the gate for doing that?
The Google reviews of the location, of which are far more frequent than here, do seem to indicate that some people have been rejected for 4x4 on a one-way.

However I wonder if this guy on Google did the "aisle" thing or had reserved an SUV or what.

Maybe the employees are terrified of being canned at this point. Who knows.

Maybe he saw I was going 1,000 miles and cut me a break ha.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Nov 10, 20, 3:39 am

It was a mixed bag at DEN on Monday morning. There were few AWD vehicles to be had except for a couple Fusion Titaniums and the occasional base trim SUV.

Interestingly, there were several RWD Ford Expeditions and five Mustangs, three of them GTs. I guess no one wants the Mustangs in the snow. The rest were mostly minivans (including Grand Caravans), base trim Chargers, Altimas, etc. The upgrades were the type of car you used to find in ES: Volvo S60, BMW 3 Series, Mercedes GLC300, etc.

​​​​​​The agent at the gate said they are not allowing AWD SUVs to go out on one-ways. I don't know if this is the normal winter policy or new this season.
Old Nov 10, 20, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by m907 View Post
It was a mixed bag at DEN on Monday morning. There were few AWD vehicles to be had except for a couple Fusion Titaniums and the occasional base trim SUV.

Interestingly, there were several RWD Ford Expeditions and five Mustangs, three of them GTs. I guess no one wants the Mustangs in the snow. The rest were mostly minivans (including Grand Caravans), base trim Chargers, Altimas, etc. The upgrades were the type of car you used to find in ES: Volvo S60, BMW 3 Series, Mercedes GLC300, etc.

​​​​​​The agent at the gate said they are not allowing AWD SUVs to go out on one-ways. I don't know if this is the normal winter policy or new this season.
it has been this way (at least in theory) for as long as I have been renting at DEN. I have often wondered how they enforce that, though. I am Exec Elite, and the listed benefits for that include that if I reserve a midsize or larger, I can choose any car from the aisle. If they have an AWD SUV in the aisle, and I select it, are they going to make me back up at the gate????

A couple of years ago I pulled up to the gate at DEN in a Wrangler & the agent was confused because I didn't have a reservation. Turns out I made the res for the correct date, but the wrong month. So he cleared out the cars behind me and sent me back. I opened the app on my phone, made a reservation, and pulled back up to the gate in the same Wrangler, only to be told that they were sold out of SUVs, and I would have to take the Wrangler back and pick a car. I was like "Dude - I am *in* a SUV. It was sitting on the aisle, where *anyone* could have picked it just like I did. ... are you talking about?" He was adamant though, and cleared out the cars behind me again. That kind of pissed me off, so I went back to the aisle and grabbed one of the employees standing around there. I told him that I thought the whole situation was stupid, that I had made the reservation through the National app, and if it was going to be a problem - I had the Hertz app too. He radioed the gate and told them it was cool.

To be clear, not having the initial reservation was completely my fault. But if the app let me make a reservation, then I had a reservation at that point. And if they are "sold out" of SUVs, then they shouldn't have any on the aisle where anyone can take one.
Old Nov 10, 20, 4:18 pm

Programs: MRT+LTP
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
I told him that I thought the whole situation was stupid, that I had made the reservation through the National app, and if it was going to be a problem - I had the Hertz app too. He radioed the gate and told them it was cool.
Please pardon me, but I'm laughing at the image of somebody toting a bag or two through the grass alongside 78th between National and Hertz. At least they're next door neighbors!
Old Nov 10, 20, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by JBKettle View Post
Please pardon me, but I'm laughing at the image of somebody toting a bag or two through the grass alongside 78th between National and Hertz. At least they're next door neighbors!
Nah, I'd have taken National's shuttle back to the terminal & then caught Hertz's.
Ordpc likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: